Reviews (1 237)
1 237 results
1 122
1 122
All reviews eagles crag plunge pool game reserve outdoor shower long lee manor his knowledge sarili lodge whole experience the main lodge amazing experience cape town our honeymoon wild animals watering hole hot chocolate thatched roof ranger mino
395 - 400 of 1 237 reviews
Reviewed 3 August 2015

After an upgrade to Eagle's Crag, we could not believe how lucky we were! Stunning accommodation, food and wine the best we have ever known, service and attention to detail were perfect!

Every day after game drive, a welcome towel and drink, a surprise bath or flower petals and champagne as it was our honeymoon, complimentary wine tasting each night!

And the safaris were more than we could ever have dreamed of! Franz, our driver, was amazing at finding the animals and was so knowledgeable too- he clearly loved his job. We saw all of the big 5 thanks to him!

Cannot wait to go back in summer to enjoy the outdoor private pool!

Date of stay: September 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2015 via mobile

We stayed in Bayethe for four nights towards the end of July & it was fantastic. We went on 7 game drives and even though the weather was bad for the first and horrendous for the second it was still a great experience. Our ranger was Ryanhard and he is a great guy - knowledgable, enthusiastic and good fun. He did his best in the bad conditions and we had great fun on the mud tracks with the land cruiser and he still found us White Rhino and elephant amongst other animals to see. Day 2 & drives 3 & 4 we will never forget. We started the day with a pride of lions basking in the sun, moved onto a cheetah with her two cubs, in the afternoon we caught up with the lions, cheetah again plus a family of elephant before a black Rhino decided to stroll across the plateau to drink some water. It was truly amazing. The day was exceptional and one we will never forget. Our next three drives were all excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed them. We got to see lots more including buffalo but the leopard proved illusive. Saw four of the big five though which was really cool. The Bayethe lodge is fantastic. Luxurious while still giving u the impression of being in the wild. The food was delicious and the staff so warm and friendly. Andrea was looking after us and our lodge and did a great job. On our game drives it was only is and another couple which was super as it felt really personal and we could ask as many questions as we wanted. I must pay special mention again to Ryanhard though, he made our trip was it was, no question about that. He was so enthusiastic and made such an effort to explain all about the animals and find us as much as he could to see. We really enjoyed his company and are very thankful to him. I can't recommend Shamwari enough. It made a huge impression on us and the work going on there in terms of conservation and rehabilitating is fantastic. If you get the chance this is a wonderful place to visit and partake in a really special safari experience. Thanks again to all in Bayethe & Shamwari.

Date of stay: July 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2015

We visited the above reserve over 3 nights in July and we have to tell anyone wishing to go on a Game Reserve what an unbelievable experience we had. The Eagles Crag Accommodation was top notch with comfortable rooms and outstanding food. But above all the staff made us feel very welcome and attended promptly and politely to all our needs.
We have to count ourselves exceptionally lucky with our Ranger (Mino) who's knowledge was top notch. His personable approach and willingness to satisfy his paying customers could not be faulted. We always felt safe in his hands and were always bemused by his ability to track down the Game and hence exceed our expectations.
This was our first holiday on a game reserve so we were unsure of what to expect but came away with all our expectations exceeded.
We couldn't recommend Shamwari Game Reserve enough.

Room tip: All rooms are very appointed and the same
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank marywilliams2015
Reviewed 2 August 2015

Outstanding facilities, food and customer service. Brilliant Rangers with great knowledge, excellent driving skills, a keen eye and great communication between them to share sightings and aid tracking. The wide variety of terrain and the beautiful scenery make any drive breathtaking. There is plenty of game, but some need to be tracked (which is exciting) and of course there are no guarantees - but the Rangers do their very best to get you to see what you request over a series of drives.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2015

This is the third time I have stayed at Long Lee and once at Eagles Crag, have to say that I found long lee a much more enjoyable and relaxed experience with grounds to wander around, very sociable and the staff were extremely attentive, my guide Sarah Moorcroft was fantastic and always asked, right, what are we looking for today, I think I was lucky as we saw I think just about everything I wanted to see and it's always a different experience every time you go, I am into photography so if you are too then this is your girl to request! The rooms are beautiful and spacious and quite honestly it's a little slice of paradise and with the new viewing deck you can look over the land and there is usually something to see at the water hole! :)

I also took the opportunity to go out with Ryan and Iky for a pro photo safari...An exceptional father and son team who firstly have a chat to gauge what you wish to achieve whilst in their company, as nature doesn't always do what you would like they tend to beat the odds! Ryan and Iky have great people skills, ideas about capturing the best possible image and post processing. The great thing is that they listen to what you want and not what they think you should have...then advise!

I wanted a great experience and some laughs, learning and obviously some beautiful images to go away with, all of which they delivered... I enjoyed my time with them so much so I asked them to stay on over their time and also booked them again for the following year at Shamwari...I asked them to stay on the second time around too!

5 stars all round, I plan to meet up with them again!

Room tip: Higher floors have less A/C unit noise
Date of stay: May 2015