Lock in the lowest price from these sites
All reviews game drives jacuzzi tub the main lodge safari experience our honeymoon wild dogs the entire staff private dinner meals were great viewing deck wonderful experience south africa watering hole whole experience wonderful lodge other guests multiple times
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 February 2015

We are now Safari converts, up at 5am back for brunch and out again at 4pm couldn't miss a moment. As part of our welcome we were informed that there were no keys to the lodges because of the possibility of animals coming through River Sands, in which case you may need to get to the nearest lodge for safety. This is not just hype it actually happens. Elephants regularly walk around and sometimes through the camp, it's surreal. The Lodges are very spacious with large patio windows, providing stunning views, even from the WC!! Service was exemplary and the food even better. Be careful at brunch you may think that what is provided at the buffet is all that is on offer, when actually it's just a start as a full English breakfast will soon follow, believe me it's hard to say no. Our guide was Phannuel who was ably assisted by Rifos our tracker. They were both so knowledgeable and both with eyesight that would shame any bird of prey. Best of all they cater for the individual as well as the group. The sight of them walking off into the bush tracking leopards and lions will stay with me forever, as will then ploughing through thorn bushes and trees to follow them. We cannot thank the staff enough. Their attention to detail simply underpinned a truly remarkable stay at this most wonderful lodge.

Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ronan M
Kambaku2007, Owner at Kambaku River Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2015

Hi there and thank you so much for your lovely review of your stay with us ! we are so happy that you are now a safari convert - you will be back I am sure ! You seemed to have really experienced an amazing amount during your sty - both in and out of the camp. That is one of the huge attractions of the camp - that the animals are right in the midst of us, and you can get a very up close and personal experience during your stay. Glad to hear that you seemed to have added few cm to the waistline - our chefs seem to make it their duty to feed you as much as possible... and as for our rangers and trackers - their dedication is something we are very proud of, and they will go to great lengths to try and find the animals, a well as to impart their knowledge and share their enthusiasm about the bush with their guests. Thank you for noticing the attention to detail - it is one of our trademarks that we are extremely proud of !

Reviewed 20 February 2015

Every aspect of my stay here exceeded all my expectations. And that is saying something, because I has read so many glowing reviews that I expected a lot! In service delivery, the attention to detail at Kambaku River Sands is second to none. The staff are so friendly and attentive, and they make you feel like valued guests instead of paying customers. It's really nice!! The accommodation is truly luxury in the African bush. It's such a treat. Yes, it's pricey, but when you add up the accommodation, food (delicious!), and 6-7 hours of safari every day, it's actually amazing value. I stayed for 4 nights and I think this was the perfect amount of time. Every safari we went out on had it's own highlights, and the viewing was amazing (even if our guide said this time of year could be slow...) But I saw so many wonderful animals - my main agenda, what I really wanted to see, was zebra, giraffe, and baby elephants. Well, I saw zebra and giraffe just getting to the reserve from the airport, so I knew things were going well! I saw plenty of elephants, such beautiful animals that I could never get tired of seeing them, and the babies - so delightful! We saw zebra, giraffe, impala and elephants pretty much every time we went out. And also, over the course of our 8 game drives, we saw leopard (on 4 occasions!), 2 cheetah (really uncommon to see the cheetah, I'm told), a pack of African wild dogs (on two occasions - also rare to see), hyenas (the babies are sooo cute!), rhinos, quite a few groups, on quite a few occasions, hippos, vultures feeding (that was really interesting), water buffalo, water buck, etc etc. And just a mention of the spa at Kambaku River Sands - the masseuse, Naomi, is amazing - I highly recommend treating yourself while you are there!

Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank JackiH660

WOW ! Thank you for the awesome review ! You seem to have highlighted all the aspects that are important to us - attention to detail, friendliness of the staff, good food and excellent game viewing. You truly were lucky on your trip seeing both the cheetah and the Wild Dogs, in addition to all the other animals. Thank you for mentioning the spa facility as well - this is an added extra that should not be overlooked - it is the perfect way the enhance the relaxation aspect of one's holiday. I have printed your review and put it up for the staff to read as they deserve all the credit. we hope that one day you will come back and visit us again !

Reviewed 25 January 2015

all the guides & personal were wonderful. The were very professional, courteous & gracious i couldn't ask for any thing else. The food was out of this world + the sleeping quarters were so wonderful i wanted to pack everything up & take it all back to the states with me.

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank frankhar
NicolaNaude, Owner at Kambaku River Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2015

Thank you for the review on your stay with us - unfortunately as we can't be relocated you will just have to come back to visit again !

Reviewed 25 January 2015

There is so much to say about such a beautiful place to experience a safari in South Africa. The animals speak for themself so I will touch upon food, room, staff and service. To preface this review, my wife and I spent our honeymoon travelling to Cape Town, kambuku River Sands and Zanzibar. The stay with Kambuku and the safari they took us on was the highlight of our trip.Though, it is rated a 4star, my wife and I felt as if we were staying at a 5 star accommodation. The staff really add character to your journey. Their knowledge Of and passion for the animals within the bush are stellar. Their personalities are energetic, exciting yet soulfully kind. Thank you Kenny for being such an amazing tracker and Werner for being who you are and taking us on a crazy adventure. The food was delicious and dietary restrictions were accommodated graciously. The level of service was uniquely detailed and Specialized for us as guests. They had set up a private dinner, bubble baths, rose pedals and a walkway of flowers to our surprise making this stay not only exciting but very romantic. The rooms were clean, massive with a great view of the bush from your room. You will experience one of the best sleeps here as the bed is uber comfortable. Without a doubt, this place is a must for a safari trip that will prove to last within memories for a lifetime.

Date of stay: January 2015
1  Thank Businessgoldstein

I am so proud of our team in that they made your honeymoon so special as it is definitely should be a holiday of a lifetime ! Thank you for mentioning our attention to detail, and adapting to the needs of each guest - we do make a point of finding out as much as possible prior to arrival in order to make the holiday a great success. Our rooms are impressive and really do lend themselves to romantic evenings... as well as fantastic game viewing from the deck... or even the bath !

Reviewed 20 January 2015

Visited in December 2014 with our 2 teenage boys. The rooms were modern,clean and comfortable. The food & drink was delicious and plentiful with a full description nightly by the chef. They easily accommodate food preferences although we ate and loved whatever was served. The staff was friendly, warm and accessible. We felt tike we were part of the family. The guests were interesting and friendly and will become friends we will remain on touch with. However the highlight was truly Werner & Kenny on our twice daily bush drives. Their enthusiasm, energy, INCREDIBLE knowledge was beyond words. They truly love what they do and it shows, they always went the extra mile to show us another beyond words animal experience no matter what. Werner engaged my reluctant teenage boys like a magician. He & Kenny truly made the trip. We loved our bush coffee and our sundowners! We would return again & again.

Date of stay: December 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

You have hit the nail on the head - providing an experience in the bush - to learn about the bush and discover the bush and experience every aspect of the bush is what we are about. Our staff are passionate about what they do, and love every moment out there ! Thank you for mentioning that we do cater for most dietary requirement - except Kosher - and the staff will go out of their way to provide a friendly, home-away-from-home atmosphere. We value our guests and take pride that we have many return clientele.