Lowest prices for your stay
Priceline
Trip.com
US$1 948
eDreams
ZenHotels.com
All reviews game drives the managers plunge pool safari experience outdoor shower bubble bath every meal watering hole herd of elephants wonderful experience breakfast in the bush kruger national park three nights african bush pack of wild dogs once in a lifetime evening drive
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 March 2019

Kings Camp is quite simply the best. Our flight was delayed and we were late arriving, but as soon as we arrived it was like Fantasy Island where everyone runs down to meet “da plane”. We were welcomed the moment the car stopped and promptly ushered to our bungalow - number 8. Absolutely gorgeous - see my pix - and a welcoming feast of fruit, nuts sandwiches and beverages awaited us. Also a hot bath had been drawn and rose petals were scattered on the water and around the tub. The next morning we met our safari guide, Anna, and our tracker, Albert. Together over the next few days they showed us the ‘big five’ (except for buffalo) and many, many other birds and wildlife. Our guide was experienced and extremely knowledgeable. Also, unlike some other safari camps, we did not go out in ‘convoys’ with other groups and our guide and tracker were most respectful of the animals and the environment. The menu at Kings Camps had a nice variety for the American palate and the food and service were excellent.. Quite simply this was an extravagantly wonderful place to stay - the lap of luxury!

Room tip: Bungalow 8 was wonderful
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2019

Kings Camp is an incredible place! My family and I stayed at Waterbuck Villa and had a remarkable experience. The staff was exceptional and went above and beyond to make our stay perfect. The accommodations were spectacular and are highly recommended. Very much looking forward to returning!

Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2019 via mobile

Kings Camp is a special place. It seamlessly combines absolute luxury with an authentic African safari experience. Rooms are tastefully decorated, spacious and comfortable - with outdoor showers and private verandas with stunning views. Facilities are first rate - a well equipped gym, lovely spa and a beautiful swimming pool which overlooks a nearby watering hole from which there are frequent sightings of the local wildlife. The restaurant is excellent and incredibly accommodating of any dietary requirements. There is even a full kosher kitchen. Safaris are brilliantly arranged with expert trackers and rangers who ensure regular close proximity to the wildlife (Elephants, Rhinos, Lions, Leopards, Buffalo, Giraffes, Hippos, Hyenas, Zebras, Warthogs, Impala - to name just a few). A luxurious breakfast out in the bush and drinks of our choice at sunset from our safari jeep were particular highlights. Overall we managed to condense a whole host of special memories within just a handful of days. Staff are super friendly and helpful - they can’t do enough for you - and there is a tranquility about this place which leaves you refreshed both physically and mentally. I highly highly recommend it.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 23 November 2018 via mobile

Because I went to Leopard Hill private game reserve right before coming to Kings Camp, I'm afraid that it invites comparison and Kings Camp is found to be wanting.

That said, I want to make a distinction between the accommodations and the game drives/Safaris. If you are going to a game reserve and the accommodations are your main focus, you might want to consider another type of vacation.

I stayed in the honeymoon suite which had a private plunge pool that was nice but the waterfall feature was broken and would gurgle out a cup of water every few minutes that was anything but soothing until it finally stopped working on the last day I was there. The room has an outdoor shower, apparently a thing, that looked as though it was an afterthought and not that inviting.
The room was spacious and the A/C worked well. The huge bath tub and the modern glass wall inside shower were nice. The toilet was in an alcove off the bathing area and had a window that can be opened.

The package was all inclusive, meaning the mini bar would not present any surprise charges at check out, but the snacks and the alcohol were parsimonious compared to Leopard Hill but were adequate. The homemade short bread cookies were very scrumptious with my morning coffee, which was provided via a Nespresso machine. Leopard Hill also had such a machine. I dislike the business methods of Nestle but I also dislike the tepid coffee their overly expensive machine and coffee pods make. That's not a failing of the Camp. They provided both bottled water and purified water in a glass carafe which I liked since I had a water bottle and didn't have to contribute to plastic waste.

The bed was comfortable, on the firm side. When asked, they provided extra foam pillows. The bed also had a mosquito net that appeared after the evening game drive and disappeared after the morning one. Two very large sliding glass doors opened on to the terrace and looked out onto the bush.

The staff were friendly but less so in comparison to the Leopard Hill staff but were accommodating, e.g., I had to leave for my flight early in the morning and they provided box breakfast.

The food. Even without a comparison to Leopard Hill, the food was not good. The gespacho was so spicy that it was inedible. And the food at the Boma was down right awful... The meats were dry and over cooked, the veggies were also over cooked and burnt. This is a big communal meal and my party of four all agreed that the food was dismal and the event was odd.

Given the cost of the accommodations, it was sub par and disappointing.

Now for the Safari drives... We had Cynet as our guide and Sonny Boy as our tracker. I was unimpressed with Sonny Boy's abilities... He spent more time chatting with Cynet than seemed effective for tracking and missed things that passengers had to point out. Initially, I found Cynet's driving and guiding attitude as though he were bored with it and drove too fast... However, once I made my interests clear to him, he was very accommodating, e.g., pointing out birds and stopping so I could photograph them. Where he earned my admiration was on the second day when we encountered a pack of painted wolves aka African Wild Dogs. We followed the pack as it was hunting an Impala but lost them.. We continued on to find them at their kill where a pack of hyenas had co-opted the wolves' kill. When the wolves decided that the thieves were not going to get by cheaply, the alpha female wolf started harassing the alpha female hyena, eventually chasing her up a hill... And Cynet took out after them... The adult wolves attacking the hyena which might have ended in her death had another female hyena not come to her rescue... It was a thrilling National Geographic moment in real life and had Cynet not acted quickly and deftly navigated us up the hill, we'd have missed it. He was also a very good guide on a bush walk I went with him.

While I know most of the great sightings we had, including seeing an encounter between hyenas and a leopard were luck, we did see a pride of lions, a huge heard of water buffalo, a tower of giraffes with their zebra hangers on.

The overall Safari experience was fantastic and well worth the time even though the lodgings not so much.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank T315ZYmichaell
KingsCampManagement, Manager at Kings Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2019

Dear T315ZYmichaell

Thank you staying with us and thank you for your review. It is very important for us to get constructive feedback on our shortcomings in order for us to stand up and improve. We respect your constructive comments and will definitely focus on the points you raised. I am glad you enjoyed the safari aspect of your stay as this is the primary focus of a safari but do agree that the rest of the service must match the beauty of the animal sightings too when on safari.

I am sorry you did not enjoy the food but have already taken this up with the head chef. We always have great complimentary feedback from our guests about our food standards but do understand and respect your opinion. We will definitely be aware of your comments about the food in the open air boma. It is a real pity you had to leave us so early yesterday morning to catch your flight as we had breakfast out in the middle of the bush after the game drive which is always a lovely experience for our guests.

With regard to the variety of snacks and alcohol in the rooms, i will definitely look at ways of improving this. I must note that as you are using reference to Leopard Hills, Leopard Hills room rate is $600 per double room per night higher than our rate which does financially influence my budget in all aspects of the management of our camp.

It will really be wonderful if you do visit South Africa again, that you come back to see the changes. Take care and have a wonderful and blessed Christmas and New Year! Warm regards Warren

Reviewed 16 November 2018

The camp is a beautiful site with charming rooms, great food and friendly efficient staff. But you are here for a Safari adventure and again Kings Camp exceeds expectations with a team of knowledgeable, friendly and proficient guides and trackers. We felt we saw everything there was to see and learned a lot along the way. Bottom line we highly recommend this first class Camp.

Room tip: Treat yourself to a unique experience that yogurt will remember
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stewart K
KingsCampManagement, Manager at Kings Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2018

Dear PK_Family2014

Thank you for posting a lovely review of our home! It was our pleasure hosting you.
Warmest regards