All reviews honeymoon suite private pool sonny boy leopard hills game drives kosher food colonial style safari experience the managers bubble bath outdoor shower boma dinner far exceeded my expectations sitting area watering hole extraordinary experience south africa
Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

Our entire family stayed here ages ranged from 6-70! We had a 6,7,9,13,16 year old kids with us. The staff was very friendly and greeted the children with little goodie bags filled with fun things for them. The rooms were beautiful! Nicely decorated, gorgeous bathrooms, they also had tv and Xbox for kids and games etc...there is a nice pool and eating area. The food was delicious and they offered a kids menu. Even on the game drive and dinner in the bush I asked the chef if we could have pizza and chicken fingers for kids (yes they are the annoying picky eaters) and the chef brought them for us which was very nice.
The game driver was very educated and loved what he did and really did all they could to get us up close to the animals. We saw a ton of animals and enjoyed breakfast right next to an elephant drinking from the hotel "pond".
This is also a great place without kids- I don't want to scare people off. Most guests did not have kids. ( family's with kids drive in their own truck so you won't be stuck w them unless they are yours).
I would definitely recommend this lodge to anyone interested in a safari.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank 707laurenb
Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

We were highly recommended this facility by our US travel agent who had personally visited it on many occasions. We were not disappointed. Some concern ahead of our arrival was a recent one star negative review. Anything but that. From our arrival to departure we were treated royally. Food,staff and especially our ranger Cygna were outstanding. We saw all of the big 5 except buffalo which simply had migrated from the area. Our sundowner and coffee breaks were lots of fun. And the closing outdoor breakfast what a surprise. Warren and Lisha were so kind and personable from start to finish. The only negative was the spa. Needs upgrading and pricy massage for the quality. I still give it a 5 as we stayed at other lodges in the past and this was our finest experience. Highly recommend.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2017

My wife and I recently stayed at King's Camp for 3 days for our first safari as a part of our first trip to Africa. On the good side, the accommodations were quite nice, the food was very good and the staff was generally very helpful. In one sense, we enjoyed this safari experience more than what we encountered in Hwange because we liked being able to venture off the paths to explore and track as applicable the wildlife that was there.

The downside was that our guide for the 3 days was participating in his first tour of Timbavati and was not familiar with the area. Much of the time, he and our tracker were able to work together to navigate around the area. Nevertheless, at times it was apparent there were disagreements between the two and our guide seemed to insist on handling things his way even though he was the less experienced. Our guide was not without experience overall and I could recognize he had a lot of knowledge in general about the animals. However, he also appeared to be a little immature and was not as sensitive to the interests of my wife and I during the safari as I would have wanted. I remain especially disappointed that after I spotted a cheetah on our drive the one morning, I was informed by our guide that we could only stay with the animal for 15 minutes to allow other vehicles. Later during the trip, we had other encounters that lasted for longer than 15 minutes with a particular animal and our guide also mentioned that a vehicle that first spots a particular animal is entitled to more time with that animal because they found it. It is only my guess but my guide at times seemed to be more interested in promoting his own interests than in entirely fulfilling ours. I am not sure how much of this reflects on King's Camp in general. I am not sure why we would be sent out with someone who was not familiar with the area.

Overall, it was a positive experience but the disappointment still runs deep, which serves to motivate me to return to Africa to have more time with cats next time around.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank GoNetherlands
KingsCampManagement, General Manager at Kings Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2017

Thank you for your review and we are very glad you enjoyed the camp, staff and the food. We value your feedback highly as it helps us in analyzing where we can improve. Your guide is indeed a new employee but not new to the guiding industry having worked at other top lodges around South Africa for many years. We always pair up a new guide with a tracker that knows the networks of roads as it takes a good six months for anyone to learn all the roads 100%. Having said that although the guide may not know the roads properly yet, he does have all the necessary guiding qualifications as stipulated and required by law in South Africa.
Kings Camp has common traversing with a number of other lodges in the Timbavati and the guides keep in contact with each other via radio to report animal sightings. Allowing this cross traversing onto other lodge areas provides us with much bigger area to traverse and better chance of seeing wildlife. We do have a standard operating policy in place for all the guides to abide by. The purpose of this policy is to protect and respect the wildlife. We try not to stay with the animals for over extended periods because we feel that they need to be given some space during the day. As there are other guests also wanting to see the animals we only allow two vehicles at any given time to view an animal and to also rotate to allow other people the chance to see the animal. With reference to the specific cheetah sighting, they are indeed rare and we do not see them very often. When one is sighted people from all over want to come and see it which is understandable. I can only imagine that this was the case with your cheetah sighting and that the guide was wanting to allow other vehicles to have the chance of also seeing this fantastic sighting. I am glads you found the overall stay positive and we would love to have you back again.
Warm regards
Warren

Reviewed 19 May 2017 via mobile

This was my second perfect stay at Kings Camp. Loved every moment. This camp has "hands on" management and that sets it apart from many others. Warren and Lischa are visible from the first game drive in the morning until dinner in the evening. The staff is very well trained and the food by far the best of the three camps I recently visited. Spent five days and wish it had been ten.

Reviewed 17 May 2017

A friend and I just returned from a 4 day stay at Kings Camp. I read so many posts so my expectations were very high and they were exceeded. It truly was amazing from every point of view.........the accommodations were beautiful, the staff warm and friendly, the food delicious, It truly is like being part of a family and I didn't want to leave and looking forward to coming back.

The BEST part by far was the game drives. Donald, our tracker, could see things so far way we were constantly amazed. Al, our ranger, is my hero in so many respects. He pays attention to the details of what you say from small things like the tea you drink and my granddaughters name. He catered to my every whim and I had PLENTY of them!!! What I found the most moving was his love for the animals and nature. He was always sensitive to their needs above all else. I was moved to tears then and moved to tears now. It was BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Thank you everyone at Kings Camp for making my dream come true!!

Room tip: All the rooms are the same and PERFECT
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends