“We just had to return to this magnificent place.”
Review of Kings Camp

Kings Camp
Reviewed 29 May 2015

My wife and I were here in 2010 with six friends. It was a special trip with unbelievable luxury and hospitality, accompanied by close-up experiences with all the Big Five and more. We don't repeat many prior vacations, because there are so many other places we haven't seen yet. But, memories of our first stay lingered and, when the opportunity arose, we jumped on a return visit. And, we're glad we did.

From the moment you arrive to be welcomed by the warm and friendly staff who greet you with a cool beverage, you know you have entered a magical place that will give you magical memories for a long time.

The bungalows are truly luxurious, while in the middle of the South African bush veldt. I don't want to tell many of the "secrets" you'll encounter, because I don't want to ruin your surprise when you see them for the first time. But the rooms are furnished with a four poster bed, complete with mosquito netting, which is "turned down" each evening while you're at dinner. There is a separate sitting area, with sofa, chairs and a small table with fruit and a decanter of sherry, along with two glasses.

Kings Camp prides itself in leaving nothing to chance. They didn't tell me that, but they demonstrated at every turn. I even took a small glass of sherry every evening before dinner and, the next day while we were on our morning game drive, the decanter was topped off and the glass was replaced with a fresh one. If we ate a piece of fruit, it was replaced.

I mentioned game drives. We had a morning and late afternoon game drive each day, in the company of a very knowledgeable and affable ranger (Dean) and tracker (Albert). We rode in special design open Range Rovers with bench seating. This arrangement affords spectacular game sightings. Since this is a private reserve, unlike the public reserve in the adjacent Kruger Park, the vehicles can leave the road in pursuit of the Big Five. There are no guarantees, but both times we've been here we did see all the Big Five "extremely" close up. We were in no danger, but it is a thrill to be so close to the animals considered the most dangerous of all the wild game. In the interest of leaving nothing to chance, we stopped for refreshments on both the morning and afternoon drives. A highlight of the afternoon drive, was our stop for "sundowners" as the sun dipped below the horizon.

But, game sighting aside, Kings Camp without the game drives would still be a worthy vacation stop. The food is gourmet, the service is impeccable and the setting is unlike anything I've ever seen before. This is an all-inclusive resort. Everything (with the exception of premium wines and spirits) is included. I was amused to find out that fine Scotch (what they call whiskey in this part of the world), was a non-premium spirit, while plain old Bourbon (what we call whiskey in our part of the world), was considered premium.

Drinks were available before dinner in the cozy little lounge, which gave us time to meet our group (and others as well) and talk about the day and just relax before the dinner bell (actually a kudu horn converted into a trumpet of sorts.

I can't say enough about Kings Camp. Much of the credit goes to Warren and Leisha (forgive me if I misspelled your name), who were always checking up to see how our stay was going. They are very pleasant people who are hands on in the operation. I remember when we were here five years ago that there were two small children romping around the grounds having a great time. Well, I must say they're much taller now and seem to be turning into fine young people.

I said this was our second visit, but we're already talking about returning a couple more times, each with one of our sons' families. I would love to be there when they take their first game drive and get up close and personal with an elephant.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms or areas where traffic noises will keep you awake.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank rscearcy

Reviewed 27 May 2015

We stayed at kings camp for 3 day is was magical and exactly what i had dreamed of going to south africa would be, we seen the big 5 animals and got so close to them all , my kids 9 and 8 were there and loved every minute, the hotel staff were great looking after us !!!!!

Room Tip: all the rooms are amazing
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank fehnert123
Reviewed 26 May 2015

Undoubtedly the best bush experience I have ever had. EVERY moment was MAGIC! I have been visiting the bush all my life and there are many amazing camps but there is something special about Kings Camp. It is super stylish (colonial), warm, welcoming and luxurious. On arrival we were welcomed by a full staff team who all engaged and took an interest. We were walked to our exquisite honeymoon suite which had a private pool, hanging chandelier and every creature comfort one could ask for on a hot African day. We then enjoyed a world class a la carte lunch before heading to the landrover to meet our Ranger and Tracker. True gentleman who were well travelled and full of knowledge -both of them prepared to go the extra mile to find the animals we were after... on one occasion our ranger followed leopard track on foot and literally walked into a huge male leopard which lead to the most beautiful sighting. They also managed to track down the most desired creature a white lion! The most beautiful creature I have ever seen with big blue eyes. My trip was complete, it was a childhood dream of mine to see a white lion! Every meal was better than the next and we enjoyed a wonderful couples massage on our deck. Being active people we made use of the gym facility which was perfectly situated, air-conditioned and with modern technology and equipment. We had special dietary requirements (gluten free & vegetarian) and there was a delicious alternative at every meal or drinks occasion. We also celebrated my Dad's 70th birthday and the staff went out of their way to make it a special occasion by presenting a hand made card and delicious birthday cake. Kings Camp Scores 10/10 on all fronts. Thank you for having us we will most certainly be back.

Room Tip: honeymoon suite no 10.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2015

From the moment Remember ( yes that was his name ) picked us up from the airport, we were made incredibly welcome at Kings. The staff were so friendly. We scored the Honeymoon suite which was a bonus and very luxurious. The decor was amazing and when I returned from our first evening safari, a candlelit bath awaited - heaven ! The food choices were pretty good especially breakfast, maybe some lighter options for lunch would be better although the smoothie option was great. We have nothing but the highest of praise for our guide Vicki and tracker Elvis who gave us the most wonderful, professional, friendly and informative safari drives. Their passion for the bush shone through, they loved their job and we loved them ! For our first safari lodge Kings set the bar amazingly high and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a place to stay if you love attention and luxury.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2015

7 of us recently spent 5 nights at King's Camp, and the experience was truly unbelievable. None of us has been to the bush before, and had no idea what to expect. King's Camp was luxurious, spacious, and traditional with modern touches. The friendly staff accommodated our every need, from breakfast boxes on request to special meal modifications and desserts for game drives. Remember, our ranger, and Elvis and Albert, our trackers, taught us so much and left us with a deep love for the animals and the land that they clearly love. We hope to return in the near future.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
10.7 km away
Kambaku Safari Lodge
Kambaku Safari Lodge
#6 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve

Been to Kings Camp? Share your experiences!