Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews no electricity safari camp bush experience game drives comfortable accommodation off grid dining table mosquito net high tea real africa enjoyed every minute from australia wild dogs made us feel at home whole team morning coffee south africa
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 April 2018

Pungwe is that rare find; a genuine old style bush camp in the Maneyeleti Game Reserve in an excellent game viewing area. Paraffin lamps instead of electric lights, no fence around the camp so the game moves freely around the camp; this is a little piece of heaven. Solar energy ensures plenty of ice for drinks and charging facilities for cameras and other essentials..

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Sandy W
Reviewed 4 March 2018

That's the real Safari .....for everyone who really likes the Wildlife, Tents have been refurbished and it is one of my favourite camps I have been. Very friendly staff , very nice food.You feel like it would be your own home in the bush which makes it very adorable. Daily Game walks & Game drives with experts. The stories you can listen to will stay in your memories forever. I will definitely be back soon.

Date of stay: January 2018
Reviewed 4 March 2018

Pungwe Safari Camp remains one of my favorite Camps, in the 23000 Hec Manyeleti Reserve adjacent to the Kruger National Park. Having undergone revamps to the main areas and the Accommodations a short while back. Led by Michel Girardin, Russel Hine and the Team at site The Team at site are a delight, the sense of Old School Safari, with the famous Tea Kettle at the Fire...the Game Viewing in this Reserve is some of the very best, it is unfenced with the KNP, and comes highly recommended.

Date of stay: December 2017
Reviewed 20 February 2018

The camp is small and intimate and one is treated to very personalised service and attention from all the staff without being intrusive. Violet the Chef's Baboetie dinner was outstanding and she clearly takes great pride in her cooking. Game drives with Never the ranger and Wander Boy the tracker, were truly memorable and having spent many years experiencing drives, this team were up there with the best. The Manyeleti area gave us wonderful game sightings, including a Leopard Tortoise who we watched drinking and swimming in the small man made pond next to the main area!! We cannot wait to return to this little piece of bush paradise. Thanks to Michel and all his Pungwe team. Melly and Bruce Lawson

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Russell H, Owner at Pungwe Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2018

Dear Bruce

Thank you for such a glowing review, it is wonderful for the entire team to get such great feedback, I will be sure to pass this on to them.

Reviewed 9 February 2018

Pungwe was a better than I dreamed. It is a small location that holds a maximum of 8 people and is owned by Michel who will often sit with your group and tell your the most interesting stories about his life. When we arrived to the reserve we immediately saw wild animals before we even made it to the camp site. Once we were at the site the guides took us to our beautiful tents which were phenomenal. The beds were comfortable and somehow they made the mosquito netting look magical. The bathrooms had hot water for showers which I was not expecting out in the bush. At night you could hear the animals in the campsite which was incredibly cool to listen to while you were laying there. Some of our braver members sat on their porches and watched them through the night. The camp also cooked all of your meals and it was the best food we had the entire trip. The chefs rotate but we got lucky and had Robert cooking for us. If I could have brought him home with me I would have. Best food I've ever eaten. And the bread he made...words can't describe it. I'm not much of a bread person but I ate two pieces at almost every meal. Our guides were also amazing. Issac took us out immediately after our arrival the first afternoon and that evening we saw 4 of the big 5. He saw things hidden that I never would have seen. By the next morning we had seen the missing member of the big 5. The guides took us on night safaris, day safaris, a bush walk, and even up to a look out point to see the entire reserve. They were extremely good about communicating with each other to determine where the best sites were but also communicating with us to determine what our top wish list animals were. It was a perfect stay. Just a word of advice, make it your last stop on the trip because nothing will be able to top it. We will definitely be returning.

Room tip: There is no such thing as a bad room here, all the tents were great
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your amazing experiences and for the fantastic review. We take pride in offering an authentic safari experience and are overjoyed when our guests respond in this way. Our staff take great pleasure in receiving feedback and will be extremely happy with you comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to our safari camp in the not too distant future.