Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews no electricity safari camp bush experience game drives comfortable accommodation off grid dining table mosquito net high tea real africa enjoyed every minute from australia wild dogs made us feel at home whole team morning coffee south africa
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

We have had an amazing visit. It started with a warm welcome from Michel. The accommodation, the game drives, the food from early mornings till sunset drinks; absolutely wonderful. Pungwe is in our hearts.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Russell H, Owner at Pungwe Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2018

So happy that our little safari camp has crept into your hearts as well, we have always felt this way about Pungwe. We hope to see you back sometime soon. Thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

The MOST amazing place to stay! Cannot rate Pungwe highly enough, incredible staff, fantastic food and beautiful, authentic atmosphere of Safari days gone by. The wildlife viewing in Manyeleti is out of this world, fabulous guides and every day something better than then day before!! You will not regret a visit to Pungwe Safari Camp- I will be back!!

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

Loved my stay at Pungwe. This small and private camp captures the essence of Africa.
Great game sightings, beautiful trees, abundance of birds and more all form part of a unspoilt natural eco-system.
Lovely tented accommodation with super comfortable beds made for a good night's rest while the sounds of Africa filled the night.
Thank You Michel and your lovely staff for being superb hosts.
I

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2017

Under new highly experienced management since September 2016 (new investment), the "Camp" delivers a finely balanced experience of living in a game park (no fences); convivial dining hosted by the owner, while delivering unforgettable safari drives and bush walks from skilled guides. Your life is in their hands. It is their experience and knowledge which will protect you, and you will need to follow their instructions in order to be safe. You will come away with a new respect for all living creatures. The elephants and other game can, and do, wander right through the camp, even while you are sleeping there. This is not a place for young children. It is for those that want to experience Africa as it was in the days of "Born Free" but with a little more comfort (decent beds and running water). The Food was excellent for a camp. You are encouraged, when you want a hot drink, to visit the camp fire, and pour the hot water from the kettle suspended above the flames; sit on the log seats, and chat with others, as has been done for 1000s of years across Africa. Under the nearby thatched dining room and bar, modern more comfortable sofas and chairs provide another area for socialising.

I have given this 5 stars because the overall Safari experience is superb. The new owner has around half the concession for the Manyeletti game reserve, which has open fences to the Kruger Park. He invested because the entire ecosystem of the reserve from vegetation through birds of prey to the "big five" are all healthy. There are only room for 8 people in the single Safari Viewing Land Cruiser. That meant that in 2 days of Safaris we only met one vehicle. For example, when we were viewing a stalking lion at 10 meters distance (spotting the lame buffalo) our vehicle was the only one present. We saw on the drives all the game that we desired (I don't want to overset your expectations because you may not be as lucky as us. We were delighted). I also want to dwell for a moment on the Safari walk (from about 6.30am to 10am). The moment that you set out with your guides, your senses become more attuned to everything around you. There is no engine noise. The guides start to introduce to bush craft. They have time to talk and explain, as they begin to track the wild animals on foot. Here you start to learn so much more about the bush than just viewing the big game magnificence.

I am a cruising sailor. I have sailed the Atlantic. That was not risky for me because I was trained and experienced. The same is true here. I put myself under the experience and instruction of the staff, and the five of us had a safe and incredible experience of Africa that we will remember the rest of our life.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Peter H
Reviewed 3 December 2017

My friend and I had the most memorable safari experience seeing 4 of the Big 5 during a 2-night stay :) We fell in love with the Pungwe Safari Camp and its staff, especially Robert who was our chef! We really enjoyed the intimate feel of the camp as it only accommodates small groups, and the authentic experience of a safari camp that takes seriously its impact on the environment and local community. I loved it so much, that I swear I will return someday in the future to relive the wonder and awe of the South African safari!

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Russell H, Owner at Pungwe Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2017

Thank you so much for your kind words, we too hope to see you back one day.