Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
bobd72
Chicago, Illinois

Honeymoon bliss

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 03 Feb 2009
We had the pleasure of staying at Singita as the first stop on our African honeymoon...We stayed at both Ebony and Lembobo...Will compare both at the end of the review...

We arrived at Ebony from Lembobo and went on a game drive that afternoon....Before our drive we had a quick bite to eat and watched elephants accross from the lodge...During the game drive we saw a leopard, a lioness (came with 3 feet of our jeep), hyenas, wild dogs, elephants and buffalo...We almost saw all the Big 5 within a few hours of being there...We came back and there was a weekly buffet dinner in the boma complete with local singers...It was very enjoyable.

The rooms were spacious and done in colonial style...In the morning my wife was in the shower and there was a Leopardess in the tree looking at us...I got a great picture.

The food was consistently very good and the wine selection was excellent...Make sure you know what you want as they will try to get you to choose what they opened that night...I suggest getting a copy of the Platter wine guide.

We also paid a visit to Boulders but otherwise very similar...It was finished in stone and wood...We preferred Ebony.

Lembobo and Ebony were quite different...Lembobo is new and in a very remote part of Kruger...The animals are not as used to human interaction (leopard sightings are very rare) and the landscape is rockier...If I had to choose one to go to, I would choose Ebony because the game viewing is better...If I had to choose one to go back to, I would choose Lembobo because it is a much more unique and wild experience.

Overal, it is a very expensive trip but well worth it...Some weird things about Singita...They accused me of stealing a laundry bag on the way out (literally asked me 3 times) and left me seven messages on my Honeymoon to sign a form for charges that I couldn't sign when I was there...I found it weird and petty and told them so...They apologized...There are other good choices within Sabi Sand (Londolozi, Mala Mala) which are probably a bit cheaper but supposedley are excellent as well.
Date of stay: July 2008
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
2.0 of 5 bubblesCheck-in / front desk
4.0 of 5 bubblesService
5.0 of 5 bubblesBusiness service (e.g., internet access)
  • eDreams
Pool
73.3 km from Singita Ebony Lodge
Restaurant
View more hotels in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
All reviews sand river food and wine four nights sommelier africa guide rhino cellar lodge tracker bush lawrence sightings wilderness buffalo respect
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 July 2008

I stayed at Singita Ebony in April of 2008 with my wife, son (11), daughter (15), and father (74). This is the most incredible place on earth. I had stayed at Singita Boulders one year earlier and was so blown away that I had to return with the family. The views, the game drives, the exquisite rooms, the food, the service, etc. is the best anywhere. I read the Conde Naste reviews year after year and this property kept taking home the top prize. I had to go see for myself and was likewise impressed. Whatever it takes make the trip to Singita, your view of the world will never be the same.

Date of stay: April 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank curtishinton
Reviewed 7 January 2008

We stayed at Singita Ebony for 3 nights on our honeymoon in October 2007.

It was fantastic! We loved the staff, the food, the decor, all great.

The staff went out of their way to help you. At a dinner one night, they had some local people performing and singing and playing drums and dancing. My husband, just casually to me, said, "it would be very cool to get a lesson on how to play the african drums." Our safari guide, Kevin, who was at our table, got up and then came back to say that a lesson had been arranged for the next afternoon, if that was okay! My husband had a blast and met them for two afternoons. They gave him a drum as a gift!

The food was outstanding. We loved the lunches the best outside, able to see any animals that come by. One night they set up a private dinner for us in our room and it was very romantic.

The safari's were great as well. Kevin did a great job and really made sure that we saw all that we wanted to see.

All in all, we did not want to go.

Thanks to Singita for a very lovely stay.

Date of stay: October 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 15 December 2007

Truly stunning luxury in the heart of the African bush. Fantastic service, incredilble setting (Ebony lodge), and an up-close view of the wildlife that would be hard to beat. An experience every one should have once in their life.

Date of stay: January 2005
1  Thank Mikeyt101
Reviewed 13 December 2007

We spent 3 days at Singita's Ebony Lodge, and this is the best "hotel" we've ever stayed at, and that includes many on Conde Nast's list. The rooms are beyond belief, and to sit on the terrace or in the plunge pool and watch the elephants go by is just awesome. The staff is friendly and the service is impeccable. The meals are wonderful, and we were introduced to some truly wonderful South African wines. And the game drives were terrific - - in the first 15 minutes of our first afternoon, we stopped to see a leopard and her two cubs from up close, for nearly half an hour, as the cubs cavorted and annoyed their mother. This was the last stop on our trip to Tanzania and South Africa, and although the other lodges we stayed at were all great, we really did save the best for last.

Date of stay: July 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank eastsiders
Reviewed 30 May 2007

We stayed at Singita Ebony, the classic-styled lodge, that offers three feasts a day, very comfortable suites, top notch game viewing, and a great staff. We had high expectations since they are highly rated and cost a lot, but they surpassed them all.

The game drives were manned by a ranger and tracker that were knowledgeable, interesting and intent on finding all the animals. They even had an an understanding of good light for photography.

Meals were of the highest quality and quantity, and fine wine was readily available. Our "personal butler" was very attentive whether we were at a buffet, tasting, or simply breakfast.

Special touches such as cocktails and apertizers in the bush, or champaign, hot tub, and flowers in the suite were the norm.

Date of stay: May 2007