El Rancho Hotel & Motel
Sleep Inn(Gallup)
US$71
SleepInn
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmovie starsjohn wayneold westronald reagangift shopback in the daylucille ballfun place to staypresidential suitehistoric placepiece of historymarx brotherslots of historymovie memorabilialike stepping back in timebygone erasmall bathroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My daughter and I visited this historic hotel to have a drink where John Wayne, Errol Flynn,Alan Ladd, Bogart,Cagney,Tracy,Harlow,Grable and on and on had a drink or two in the day. The exterior shows a hotel that "looks the part" of something to do with history. It's right on historic Route 66 itself. The main entrance was majestic and gorgeous. We had dinner there. The food was good but nothing special or grandiose. Rooms are named after many of the stars and there are pictures galore on the walls. We had our drinks with the ghosts of all the stars and left. Worth a historical visit for movie buffs of great westerns, who knows you may hear Little Joe yelling "Shane come back!"

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank cpd6198
Reviewed 2 March 2018

We were doing a Rt 66 road trip & this was on the must stop list. We did not stay here as we did not stay overnight in Gallup but did stop in. It was a wonderful place to visit. The lobby is amazing & kept up really nice but stayed in the era when it was the place to stay for all the stars. We talked to the person at the check in desk who gave us some wonderful information. We didn't eat there either so can not give info on the food. We did however buy what I think are beautiful Indian made earrings....which I now wear daily. If in the area you must stop in& check it out.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2018

We were booked into the El Rancho for 1 night on our Route 66 road trip. On arrival the hotel outside looked like an old western hotel and quite grand. Inside it was full of memorabilia from days gone by.

Reception

On checking in we were initially given a room upstairs but requested a room downstairs as i was on crutches. This was granted. Not much chat from staff checking us in. Lots of leaflets around with activities to do in Gallup and about the history of the hotel.

There is a big gift shop in the hotel selling beautiful handmade native american items and souvenirs. There was a restaurant and lounge bar.

Every room has a Hollywood actor on it as a lot of them stayed in the hotel when filming . Our room was Gregory Peck.

Room

The first thing i noticed was the very small double bed! Every other hotel we had stayed in was either 2 double beds or a king bed. The bathroom was compact! The sink was chipped and the shower was very old looking but we didn't use it.

Our room was over looking the BW hotel and another road but very little traffic noise and we slept OK. Bed was very small but was fine for 1 nite more than that and think would have asked to change rooms.

A different hotel from the usual hotels. If your looking for something different than come here. If you want a modern hotel then here is not for you.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2018

This past week I crossed this off my Bucket List. I have wanted to stay at El Rancho since I saw it when I was in Gallup on a trip last year. I was in Gallup for work this past week and my Secretary booked me a room here for the week. The experience begins when you pull into the parking lot and see the exterior of this gem. Upon entering the hotel you walk into a lobby that takes your breath away. The staff for the most part is very pleasant and accommodating. They also love to share with you information on the grand history of El Rancho Hotel. After getting your room key (A literal key) you walk to the elevator where Security or a front desk attendant closes the gate and brings you upstairs to your floor (this elevator is straight out of a 40's film). Almost every room has the name of a famous Hollywood Actor from years past on the door. I learned from the front desk manager, that the names of the actors on the room doors are the actual rooms that those actors stayed in. There is a couple of rooms that truly demonstrate the creativeness of the Hotel owner...the presidential suite is...you guest it, Ronald Reagan suite, another large suite with two doors is the Marx Brothers Suite. The rooms are dated (part of the charm of this old hotel). Even though the bathroom is old, it is VERY clean. The old tub was so clean I didn't hesitate to take a bath in it (Something that can't be said for many of the newer hotels). The staff truly has pride in this old beauty and it shows forth through their work. I enjoyed reading each morning in the little reading nooks all around the balcony overlooking the gorgeous lobby. The restaurant is okay (not bad but not the best I ate at while in Gallup) and the bar looks like something out of an old Western. I did not get any drinks at the bar so I can not give a review on it except to say, wow, the decor is AMAZING! Although I was able to remove this from my bucket list...I WILL BE BACK! This is truly my "go to" hotel on future trips through Gallup. When booking a room here, remember this is an old hotel and therefore may not have all the amenities of the new hotels, but what it lacks in amenities, it more than makes up for in charm and beauty! If you have any doubts, book for at least one night...you will be VERY glad you did!

Room Tip: Enjoy the charm at its fullest by booking a room in the main hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Adam C
Reviewed 3 February 2018

Stopped into the El Rancho for a drink and to look at all of the Hollywood memorabilia adoring the walls from when the hotel was used as "the place to stay" when filing movies on location. I can;t speak to the condition of the rooms but the hotel is an interesting side trip if you have the time. The bar was disappointing; pretty much an open room down a long hall with a few tables. Gift shop had a lot of nicely displayed merchandise (Indian jewelry, etc.) but could not find any books about the hotel. This place could use infusion of money to ramp up its tourist appeal. Restaurant was busy but the rest of the hotel was quiet. Of course, January is not prime season in Gallup.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple