“Extremely friendly staff”
Review of Villa Coco

Villa Coco
Ranked #31 of 149 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 17 January 2018

The staff were extremely friendly and considerate, which made me feel welcome and comfortable. The environment is peaceful and secluded from the Seminyak hassles. Each villa is surrounded by lots of greenery to allow ultimate privacy. I fell in love with the hammock!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 16 January 2018

Stayed here as a couple, had a very nice stay here. No dramas at all.
- Staff are very friendly and helpful
- The rooms are private, really nice and a good size.
- Location is great. Close to shopping and many places to eat.

Only negative there are a fair bit of bugs/insects that bit you. The staff do come around and burn repellants to minimise the issue.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ZF_179
Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

It's our first day of a total 6 days stay and we are so disappointed of what happened today that we wish we didn't' paid in full and thinking to move to other place.

The review in tripadvisor led us to this property. The housekeeping staffs and last nite staff we met are kind. I like the one bedroom bungalow with private garden, traditional, even though not for my boyfriend. He likes modern style.  Btw we want to try staying in a villa, close to the action but not noisy, has a kitchen.... Just a week for us before back to work in separate city.

But.. all feels going to the other direction when we asked how it work for the promo we got for booking through their website, the free beer per person per day, that their front office didn't have any clue at first. We are 2 people staying and clearly mentioned in their website and confirmation about how many occupancy . Though I did come later as my flight arrived after midnight. But when we asked again to front office, he answered the promo was for 1 time only. Then for 1 drink a day. Then for 1 person per day. I complained and he asked why my id card was not there, giving the impression  like I am 'that kind of girl' cause I am a local with a foreigner. So we ended up meeting with the Manager or maybe owner, but even though she approved to provide as written in their website, I can clearly remember the first thing I heard is "I DON'T CARE, JUST GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT" in a harsh tone from behind the door.
Wow. I was stunned. So much for the hospitality. Never met someone with position in a hotel/villa or hospitality industry said that to their guests in order to fix a mistake they made. Cannot just admit it and sincerely apologize. My boyfriend is a GM of a much bigger place (a resort and villa) and he would be fired if he responded that way.

Omg. What a day. We are really looking forward to this holiday so I do hope we would have a nice one the rest of our stay here.

Now I understand why charliers6 gave review like that, on how the holiday will be, etc if you have problem here. I would probably get the same response from the manager as any other bad reviewer by posting this. But hey, I don't care. This is the truth and how we feel and as a travel blogger, I need to share this to other travellers.

Overall, it is not a recommended place for me or any of you who want to still have a nice holiday while having problem in this place.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Claire Q, Manager at Villa Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2018

Claire Q, Manager at Villa Coco, responded to this review
Hello Novangley,

We have been waiting for this review...all over a drink and when I said I don't care...I actually DO CARE, lots, we take this very seriously but I was not going to argue over a daily drink, we heard you speaking to the staff...as I said to you it is not worth the stress. You wanted an apology from the front office staff but we gave you the offer and I feel you arriving on a different flight may have been the problem as the staff thought just your boyfriend was here. You also were reluctant to give your ID and this is something we must get from all guests no matter where they are from and your boy-friend told me it was ok that you gave it to us. You have said on another ocassion at a different hotel you wrote that it's weird...I am sorry but it is standard hotel practice everywhere.
We are sorry anything happens like this and it can be resolved always without getting upset and from all our reviews you can clearly see we do not have much trouble with our staff at anytime. This was just miscommunication and all sorted it in a couple of seconds. We please 1000's of people staying here but unfortunately you would not give us the chance.
We hope the rest of your holiday was what you expected in Bali and you had a good trip back to Jakarta.
Kind regards
Villa Coco staff

Reviewed 5 January 2018

We stayed at Villa Coco for six nights over New Year. Staying in their four bedroom (4 BR) villa was ideal for us with three generations of the family traveling together. The villa which was cleaned regularly had four good size bedrooms each with a four-poster double bed (complete with mosquito net), ample storage/cupboard space and an en-suite bathroom. All sleeping accommodations are upstairs, whilst there is a large open-air living space downstairs, comprising large open-plan living room (sofas, coffee table and large ~55" TV), 10-seater dining table and chairs, pool table (7' x 3.5'), sunken pool-side bar (with fridge) and full, well stocked kitchen. All over-looks a large private swimming pool and lounger deck with separate covered pool-side area. Transfers to/from the airport were easy to organise and relatively inexpensive, with ample space for eight people (and luggage), if required. Check-in was easy and the staff were very helpful throughout our stay. Reception can organise day trips (including sightseeing, surf school, fishing, mountain biking, etc.), transfers using the same mini-bus to local attractions (for a small cost, generally cheaper and more convenient than local taxis) and point you in the direction of good local restaurants within walking distance (including French, Italian, Greek and many Asian varieties). We quickly appreciated this, because around New Year the traffic in Kuta/Legian/Seminyak is chaos in the late afternoon/evening meaning the only viable means of convenient transport is by foot. This became quite frustrating, meaning we rarely entertained traveling further afield and really the only reason (i.e. location) I can't give Villa Coco a five-star review. However, with that said, if you plan to sit on the beach, surf, drink, eat and generally relax, then this place is ideally located. There are quite a lot of mosquitoes, but each evening the Villa's turn-down service includes the set-up of your mosquito nets, the lighting of mosquito repellent coils and turning on the ceiling fans, which keep the majority of bugs at bay. There are also lots of geckos around, which are harmless to us (so no need to freak out), but help keep the mosquito population in check. Bite cream is recommended, nevertheless. Villa Coco is well located in Seminyak, only a five minute walk to the beach, and offers ideal accommodation for many different occasions and group dynamics (4 BR Villa: four couples, two families sharing, three-generation families, etc.). Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: For two families of four, go for the 4 BR Villa, you won't regret it!
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Simon P
Claire Q, General Manager at Villa Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

Thank you Simon for your review and it is a very thorough one and this will help future guests very much.

Thank you for all the kind words and we hope to see you back at Villa Coco again someday.

Kind regards

Villa Coco Staff

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Stayed in a 2 bedroom "open style" villa with private pool over the New Year's period. Cost was around 1000 SGD. Rooms were spacious with comfortable beds and aircon worked well (just let it run a bit when you first arrive as it would have been turned off). The concept is open so bathroom - shower and toilet are outside..it's a little disconcerting at first if you aren't used to it. It was very clean and never found any critters lurking to attack from the trees in the shower ;) This means the kitchen and lounge area are also open concept so pack mosquito spray as they are large and in charge - seriously pretty intense mozzie attacks due to the open nature of the villa. There are coils provided by the hotel, but they don't do a lot of good to be honest.

There is a mini bar that is actually reasonably priced and well stocked as well as a bar on site at the public pool with happy hour from 4-6pm.

Breakfast was provided with a selection to choose from - western and indonesian. I personally enjoyed the breakfast smoothie bowl - really great!!! Though recommend the nasi goreng for any hangovers (and it's not very spicy so all can enjoy).
The hotel also offers in villa massage - we did not use this as opted to go out instead.

The hotel is down a laneway which I am not sure I would want to walk down alone at night. We did experience a flash flood which did not affect the hotel lane way but the street it turns off of was up to shins in water - which was a bit nasty to walk through so just be mindful. Quick walk to surrounding shopping area which offers everything one would expect in Seminyak. There is a "private beach" entrance, but this does not mean the beach is right after the door - there is still a good 10-15 min walk to Double Six Beach.

The only negative for me was I was with mates and their flight left much earlier than mine, so they turned their key in and left around 0830. As checkout was not until noon, I opted to enjoy the sun and privacy of the pool in the villa. The front desk called asking about my checkout time as they had other guests who wanted to check in early - not really cool as quite frankly, the response to those guests should be we will see what time the other group checks out if we can accommodate -not calling me asking when I can leave.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends

Hello Alena K,

Thank you for taking the time to review and we are so happy you loved our smoothie bowls. I am so sorry about the checkout and I have looked into this and I think there may have been a little misunderstanding. Wayan our front office girl is the nicest and most polite Balinese girl and she just said to me that she asked you what time you wanted to check out and you said 12, she also offered you another Villa if you wanted longer but we did need your villa as we had a request for it but we would never have asked you to leave earlier. This is Hotel standard checkout time. Also our laneway is well lit and very safe. We have locals living here and if any guests find it a problem they can always ask for our staff to escort them at any time, we are always happy to help our guests.
Once again thank you for you excellent review and we look forward to seeing you again one day we hope.

Regards from us all at Villa Coco