Reviews (1 147)
1 147 results
1 041
1 041
All reviews afternoon tea honeymoon suite garden route attention to detail eggs benedict cape town one night beautiful conservatory on arrival country house scones baked apple turn down service family cottage welcome drink three courses a hot water bottle
73 - 78 of 1 147 reviews
Reviewed 16 January 2018

Sadly we only had one night at this absolute gem. The rooms were excellent in terms of size and amenity and very in-keeping with the relaxed 'colonial country house' style accommodation.

We were welcomed by a fantastic host before tucking into to a wonderful 3-course meal with matching local wines. The breakfast spread was also excellent. Full marks to the chef and staff.

We will definitely be back in the future.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hugo C
Reviewed 15 January 2018

Superb setting, thoughtful caring staff... an overall fantastic experience - you won't find better in Swellendam, I'm sure of it. The food is amazing, the rooms are wonderful, the views are spectacular... We'll go back again and again...

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 32gavinc
Reviewed 14 January 2018

A simply BEAUTIFUL place to stay!
We were travelling the Garden Route and popped slightly North to find this hotel because from it's photos it looked worth a slight detour!
The building is STUNNING!
The grounds are A-MAZ-ING!
The rooms are DIVINE!
The welcome we received was warm, friendly and thoroughly welcoming....albeit that we didn't arrive until about 7pm!
We didn't eat dinner here but we did go to breakfast in the BEAUTIFUL dining room!
We don't usually "do" breakfast but we were SO pleased we did....what a GREAT way to start a day!
We talked to the manager (so sorry I've forgotten his name!) about the restoration of this FABULOUS building and he took the time to explain to us how, what and why this glorious building was now an hotel! A really nice man!
We were only there for one night but would DEFINITELY try to stay there again....if we ever pass that way again....and, if I have my way, we WILL!
HIGHLY recommended!
Sorry there are so many CAPITALS in this review but, as I cannot express myself verbally, I wanted my enthusiasm to shine through.....

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HERMOSAMARIPOSA1
SchooneOordt, Owner at Schoone Oordt Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2018

Ah, this is such a FABULOUS review! :)
Thank you so much for sharing your amazing experience with us. We're so honoured that you took a detour just to visit us. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We're looking forward to visiting with you again and to many more exclamations of enthusiasm!

With love from Ian (our manager) and the Schoone Oordt Family

Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

I stayed previously at Schoone oordt guest house however on this occasion we booked for an evening meal . The menu is very select and precise . The food is presented to the highest standard and the attention from all staff was faultless . Special mention to Fidney whom we met previously and is now serving in the dining room , a real asset to the guest house .

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Keith C

It was so lovely to see you both again, Keith. We look forward to your next visit.
We love the fact that you love Swellendam so much! :)

With love from Alison and Fidiney and the rest of the fam.

Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

We have been meaning to write this review for some time - I usually do when our experience was exceptionally good (or on a rare occasion, bad). Pleased to say that this was one of our favourite stays during our month in South Africa. On this leg of the trip we were driving the Garden Route from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town. We only stayed 1 night and wish we had stayed at least 1 more night as there is so much to see and do in the area. There is also secure parking inside the guest house grounds - something I didn’t see mentioned in a few other reviews I just read. A highlight here was the evening dinner + generous servings of beautiful Sth African wines. Other reviews have noted other highlights eg another Aussie. Hope more Australians visit - v easy driving as LH drive! Garden Route highly recommended too.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple