All reviews water bed garden route cape dutch pool area main building on arrival stayed longer private terrace south africa an upgrade cape town spacious room next morning open fire wonderful stay spent two nights yogurt
Reviewed 3 April 2018

We stayed at the De Kloof Luxury Estate for 2 nights as part of our journey through the Cape and we had a wonderful stay. The food was exceptional as was the service, although sadly the weather was not quite lovely enough to enjoy breakfast on the terrace. They also offered spa services and my facial was exceptionally good.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank W248YNlauraj
Reviewed 17 March 2018

A really lovely place to stay. Thatched roofs lovely large bedroom. Excellent evening meal one of the best that we had in our 20 day trip. The wine list is also excellent. It was really nice to have breakfast outside and what a breakfast it was the best that we had you won't be hungry after it.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank gardener1920
Reviewed 2 March 2018

We arrived at the electric gates of this hotel and were delighted with the initial impression. When we entered the reception area those first impressions were increased. De Kloof is a house and gardens built in 1801 - hence the name of their restaurant. Looking around this small private estate those high impressions continued - beautiful pool area with stunning mountains as a backdrop, lovely gardens separated out into different areas…

Then there was the room: A bit disappointing but this could be just a matter of taste. Given the 1801 historic building and quaint setting I expected the insides to be decorated in a style which went along with the age of the house, ie, semi antique, cosy, stylish like the rest of the main building. To find silver, purple, white leather, pink ostrich feather things on the walls and glitter framed mirrors was a disappointment. As I say; all a matter of taste and choice and it isn’t wasn’t our taste and not what we would have chosen. The bathroom was huge and very well appointed with a large bath and double shower. There was also a complimentary mini bar in the room. As the area wasn’t covered by the emergency water restrictions it was lovely to have a long soak in the bath.

If we wanted to eat in the restaurant we had to order our food by 5.00pm and, coincidentally, the service around the pool finished at 5.00pm. I have to say the food we chose was some of the best food we had during the whole trip. The food at breakfast was also very good but again, served in a peculiar way; no buffet but wave after wave of food arriving at the table. This didn’t work for me given I only eat proteins for breakfast so all the bread, fruit, yoghurt etc, etc was sent back. Far too much food served for even two of us and I only hope it wasn’t thrown away,

Our biggest problem was the water bed. Never slept in one before and wouldn’t like to repeat the experience ever again. Am I wrong in thinking that subjecting one’s guest to such unwanted experiences is a touch inhospitable? Hey-ho, perhaps I’m just getting old! The room we had was 'Pinot Noir' and I'm not sure if all the rooms have water beds or just this one.

In conclusion, great looking place, comfortable and very acceptable food but I personally didn’t come away with the feel good factor which is a shame as it had all the right potential.

Room tip: Pinot Noir has a waterbed - let them know if this doesn't float your boat!!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank BlomSKI
Reviewed 27 February 2018

We had a very relaxing stopover at this luxury hotel. The accommodation was first class with a lovely shower. We had a swim and drinks and nibbles by the pool in the afternoon. As we did not want to go out we had diner at the hotel and it was very refined with good food. Breakfast in the morning was also first class. The staff could not have been more attentive. Could definitely have stayed longer.

2  Thank nasonandrew
Reviewed 6 January 2018

We stayed 2 nights (one day though) in De Kloof. Really this was a stop off on our way from Cape Town to the Garden Route. However we had a genuinely lovely time. There appeared to be little we wished to do in the area, so we arrived late afternoon for check in. We were with our two children and were booked into what was really a cottage. So a ground floor king sized en suite room, a lounge and then an upstairs en suite twin room. The accommodation was large with very high spec decoration. The real highlights were the pool with floating bean bags which my two boys LOVED and the food. We ate both evening meals in the restaurant as the food was delicious, they were also very accommodating with the children and suggested lots of different options for them to order. You do have to order a couple of hours before hand. We also had lunch at the pool which was very nice. With this hotel always worth just asking for things off menu too - e.g. my boys had rolls for lunch, not on the menu but was no problem for them to make. Breakfast was not buffet style, food was great, amazing bread rolls. I do prefer a buffet style but only because I feared otherwise there appeared to be a lot of wasted food. Service wise we didn't need a lot of input from them but always seemed good when we did. Certainly no problem getting help with bags, leaflets, meal times etc. The only activity we did in the area was go to play golf at the very close by club. Fantastic views and you can be loaned clubs, very cheap for buggies etc.

Date of stay: December 2017