Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Mark p
London, United Kingdom

WORST EXPERIENCE IN SOUTH AFRICA

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 08 Jul 2019
I booked a cottage at Vrisch Gewagt and was really excited about visiting. I had paid in full in advance for my stay via their website. I received booking confirmation saying that payment in full had been taken.

The morning of the booking the owners contacted me by email to tell me they were refusing to honour my reservation as it had been made within 24 hours of arrival. They did not respond to my messages and hung up on me when I phoned.

Why did their website allow me to make a booking the night before if they do not accept bookings within 24 hours of arrival? How can you let guests make bookings and then refuse to honour them and then not even have the manners to answer then phone when the guest phones to discuss?

I became very worried that this was a scam or a fraud so after trying to contact them for several hours and them just hanging up on me I spent another hour on the phone to Amex who told me that whilst the property had not debited my card they were in possession of all my card details and as I had made the booking the property could take a payment at any time and if they did I would have to initiate a dispute with them via amex and go through a lengthy and complex process to recover my money.

I contacted the owners of the property again and asked them to cancel my booking and provide proof that they had done so. They refused and became abusive and threatening. This horrific experience is the worst I have had at any hotel in the world and it totally ruined my trip to SA. The day I should have spent enjoying Prince Albert was spent making phone calls and trying to find an alternative place to stay.

I now have to monitor my amex account to ensure that they do not take this payment. My advice would be to avoid staying at this highly unprofessional place where customer service is non existent. Not only did they ruin my travel plans, cause me to waste hours of my valuable holiday on the phone to Amex but I am now very worried about the security of my credit card details given the high levels of fraud in South Africa.

My advice would be not to risk your precious holiday time with these highly unprofessional people.
Date of stay: July 2019
Room Tip: I would suggest you stay somewhere else.
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1.0 of 5 bubblesValue
1.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
1.0 of 5 bubblesService
laravg2016, General Manager at Country House Vrisch Gewagt, responded to this review
Responded 11 Jul 2019
WORST POSSIBLE GUEST AVOIDED...
Firstly I would like to say that I am really happy that Mark has given this review a second attempt.
(The first attempt was taken off Trip Advisor as the review was made up of lies and Mark could not verify his false accusations) The reason why I am happy is that this time I get to tell my version (the truth) of what transpired as shocking as it may seem.

THE TRUTH:
Mark made a request for a booking on our website at 22:35 for the following day arrival.

I replied to his email at 00:05 saying that unfortunately we would not be able to honour his booking as we required 24hours notice (we are in the country 35km from the nearest town and we require 24hours to prepare to ensure that a paying guest has the beautiful experience that we proud ourselves on) I also stated that should he be able to move his reservation one day forward, I would be happy to honour the reservation on the later date.

I also sent a WhatsApp at 06:35 the following day (day that Mark has requested to check-in) so as to be sure that he received the message and had enough time to make alternative arrangements.

I had not looked at my phone for roughly 30min around 08:30an and when I looked at it again, I was shocked to see that Mark had attempted to call me 15times in the space of 10min with messages blurting accusations in between. Saying it’s totally unacceptable and that he had paid me in full etc.

I replied to Mark in writing in order to keep a record, that he should not be concerned and that his credit card had NOT been debited.

He insisted that I could not cancel his booking. I explained that we could not assist at such short notice and apologized for the inconvenience.

He then decided to say in writing to which i still have a copy of: “F.CK you, you F..CK.NG C.NT” and that “ if your farm was the last place on this earth I would not go to it”

I was totally shocked by his overreaction and told him he was NEVER welcome to visit the farm and that I was going to block him. Which I did.

I am a woman and was extremely intimidated at his erratic behavior and abusive tone.

It did not end there....

His friend MAHENDRAN MOODLEY continued the abuse and harassment by WhatsApping me a Hindu curse and telling me I should be very very afraid and hide away in Positano (this was my WhatsApp profile picture).

I was prepared to allow all of this to blow over, inspite of the fact that I felt victimized, but I have been advised to report both men to the authorities for harassment.

I can only warn any principals out there to be very careful of these 2 men. They seem to be misogynists of the worst kind.

The irony is that Mark is a chief executive at a global diversity company and “apparently” a multi award winning leader in Diversity and Inclusion.

And Mahendran Moodley is a Dermatologist.

How can 2 educated people behave in this way?

Also I had a look at Mark’s other TripAdvisor reviews and noticed that out of 27 reviews - 20 reviews were all the lowest possible scores. It appears that he only reviews as purpose of a smudge compaign rather than give informative fare and balanced reviews.

Mark and Mahendran a personal message to you both, enough is enough. If you continue to harass me I will take this matter further with all the evidence that I have. I have family members that are attorneys and also a judge in the family.

I expect at the very least an apology from you both for your abusive and very worrying behavior.
R 1 800
No prepayment needed
    R 1 312
  • Vio.com
Free parking
Main house with tea garden
R 400
  • Hotels.com
    R 835
35.6 km from Country House Vrisch Gewagt
View more hotels in Prince Albert
All reviews olive oil the cottages loved every moment long weekend our night stay made us feel at home farm stay a great stay cape town swimming pool chantelle lara dams olives soul host fireplace
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 April 2019

A gem in the most beautiful setting! We were absolutely delighted on arrival at this magnificent accommodation - old farmhouses fabulously decorated with very well equipped kitchens (a must for us!). Kids thrived in the safe outdoors: walking, cycling and swimming in the dam. As well as discovering some farm animals. Not to mention the star gazing.
We occupied two of the farmhouses and could easily walk and cycle between them. All meals were easily prepared in the Manor house for our large group.
Chantal was terrific in assisting us with all our needs - no inquiry was left unattended.
Our 4 night stay left us wanting more - absolutely impressed. We will be back!

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank SezSchlaphoffSA
Reviewed 14 March 2019

It was a Perfect stay in a Perfect Location. Amazing Pool, amazing People, amazing cottage. The best Location in SA.
We loved it!

Chantalle is the best host! And the wine, the Olive oil and the olives were fantastic.

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 26 February 2019

We had a great two-night stay in the Birdwatcher cottage, we enjoyed the privacy and the various swimming pools. We went for a hike in the kloof and a trip to the veggie garden to get some dinner supplies, enjoyed the farm feel and all the staff is very friendly. Will definitely back!

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2019 via mobile

We had the most amazing time at the farm. Chantelle is so friendly and welcoming and made us feel at home immediately. We were lucky enough to stay at Paradys Huis and The Manor house, which are both brilliant. Do not miss the marinated rack of lamb ribs! We had a fantastic time and will definitely be back for more.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2019 via mobile

Objectivity is a big word and we all need to be aware that our observations and experiences are vulnerable to reassessment. So as I express my unqualified appreciation of the Frisch Gewagt Farm and it’s hospitality I do so knowing that my impressions were influenced by a serious need for rest in a tranquil place. And that’s just the point; this olive farm provided us with first class facilities in an atmosphere of remoteness that so soothed a stressed bunched of people such as were at the end of 2018.

Thank you to Chantelle for making our visit so pleasant. Your attention to detail and sensitivity to our needs were really appreciated!

Date of stay: January 2019