“Still as good as ever”

Price range: US$25 - US$60
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Between 1835 and 1849 the Kronendal Farm was owned by Sir William Josias Cloete. Legend has it that the homestead is haunted by his daughter Elsa Cloete who died of a broken heart after being forbidden to marry her soldier lover. Kitima still sets and serves a table for Elsa with samples from the menu to appease Elsa's spirit. Welcome to Kitima restaurant where oriental elegance and hospitality meet the unpretentious grace and charm of Africa. Our authentic Thai and Asian Fusion cuisine, prepared by our Thai chefs will carry you to a world of exotic spices, perfumes and all that’s precious and exotic. Various dining option are available from our private lover’s room seating 2-6 persons, our VIP room seating up to 12 persons, our Temple and Bangkok rooms as well as the Raya lounge for cocktails, drinks, snacks or even dinner to share. Kitima exudes all the splendour of a traditional Cape Dutch homestead with yellowwood ceilings, wooden floors combined with modern Asian artefacts and cuisine. Our cocktail list is extensive and features a number of award winners that are both stunning in taste and appeal. The restaurant has the addition of the garden and the Raya Terrace which are unique covered areas that are available,however these are weather permitting. We invite you to have a taste of true Thai cuisine in a traditional and modernised South African homestead.
Reviewed 11 April 2018

We hadn't been there for a while and I believe Kitima is under new management but they have kept up the high standard. the prices are a bit high but it was worth it.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We had a super meal starting with a variety of which we shared all were delicious . Two of us had the duck pancakes with plum sauce which was really tasty,the nasi goring was also tasty. The setting and service was very good.We found the wine prices a little steep and the selection of blended whisky limited.Highly recommended for the food and ambience.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Overall, very disappointed with my visit last night, primarily because of the awful service.

First issue was the table my wife and I were sat at, which was wobbling very badly. How could the staff not have noticed and sorted it when they set the table? Then, while they were fixing that the back panel of my wife’s chair fell out when she leaned back and so the chair had to be replaced too. Not a promising start.

Ordered cocktails to drink while looking at the food and wine menus. They took forever to arrive and we had to enquire several times if they were actually on their way. While we were still choosing three waiters separately asked if they should remove the wine glasses from our table and each had to be told that we would order the wine wine once we had chosen our food. Cocktails were excellent once they finally arrived.

Ordered food and wine. Waiter came back after 10 mins to tell us that he chosen wine was out of stock. Handed me the wine menu and disappeared again. Waited another 10 mins before next sighting of waiter and able to order the alternative wine. Wine was excellent when it finally arrived. The food was also excellent. We had the mixed platter for two to start, aromatic crispy duck with pancakes and beef Rendang with steamed rice. All very well prepared and very enjoyable.

Throughout the meal we were left to top up our own wine and water despite many passing waiters.

Despite all that, I actually left a reasonable tip when paying the bill. Ordered an Uber and waited in the entrance area for it to arrive. (It was one of the rare rainy evenings in Hout Bay). The car was literally two mins away when a waiter approached me in a panicked state saying that they had missed something from the bill and I needed to pay more. It really just about summed up the evening’s service for me. I was so annoyed at their incompetence that I told him to count the tip towards it and topped up the balance.

The only exception to the service nightmare was the doorman who was unfailingly polite and helpful on arrival and on departures.

3  Thank Amberley_Kent
Reviewed 15 March 2018

Had an absolutely terrible evening at Kitima. The service was just quite shocking - after finishing the meal the table was left uncleared even until after the meal was paid for. You can't take your own wine and the wine on offer has brands that I have never heard of despite having lived my whole life in Cape Town. Apart from the no name wine brands the mark up was in most cases more than the cost of a main course meal. Kitima is probably more of an off sales than a restaurant with huge profits being sought on liquor. The meal wasn't bad but the evening was ruined by the attitude of the staff and management. Definitely will never go back. So many fine choices offering better value in Cape Town.

5  Thank CapeTownWatty
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

As a local I have visited a few times. It has changed. Servings are smaller. Waiter got the order wrong. No corkage permitted. Value for money questionable. Will not be eating there again.

1  Thank bruceb678