“Cuisine of the highest order...”
Review of Le Bon Vivant

Le Bon Vivant
Ranked #9 of 104 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Dutch
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 October 2018

We have dined here before and had the most fantastic dining experience so we booked well ahead for this Sunday evening experience and were met by a friendly waitress and quickly shown to our 'corner of the room' table, where we could view other's dining but also the open kitchen and the chef and team diligent in their work.
We started with a glass of champagne(MCC), while in South Africa, whilst browsing the fantastic, varied menu, there was a wine pairing/food pairing menu available but we chose to go a la carte.
This as an incredible experience indeed! When dining at the higher end, the chef will often deliver, their own little appetiser, and other palatable extra's between courses and these were very well appreciated.
The bitteballen, a typical Dutch style(the chef/proprietor is Dutch), the prawn risotto, and the red sea bass were all delicious and this was an amazing dining experience, beyond even our last visit here and up to this point our finest dining experience in the three weeks in South Africa.
A fine bottle of Rose was taken with the main course, perfect match and the desserts were the finished part of excellence- 'wow'.
Value for money, excellent cuisine, excellent service and a place to get dressed up for an occasion, its just a shame to see that South African restaurant's generally do not have a standard code of attire set for dining in the evening because to see people dressed in shorts, old ripped trousers and flip flops, just means that educating people about food is one thing, education of people's respect and self respect is another.
Excellent visit again, congratulations on this magical creation that is food of the highest order.

Date of visit: October 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1 668)

16 - 20 of 1 668 reviews

Reviewed 21 October 2018

We've been to Le Bon Vivant a few times over our twice yearly visits to South Africa. The food is fantastic and the presentation stunning. Have the soufflee...it is amazing

Reviewed 18 October 2018 via mobile

I received 6 oysters that were still attached to their shell. Not sure how I am to eat them I asked the waitress who took them back to the chef and she came back at said the were ok. I asked her how I was to disconnect them from the shell and she brought me a steak knife. Really? I am 55 years old and have eaten oysters hundreds of times. I have NEVER been served them like this. It’s a huge fail for me. Look up on YouTube how to serve an oyster.

Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

We tried out the Spring Pecisl of a starter, main & dessert for lunch.
The starter & mains were excellent, but I have to say the lemon meringue dessert was superb - the best I've ever had.

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

What a gem of a restaurant!
This was by far one of the best dining experiences I have ever had!
We ordered the chefs selection 6 course degustation with matched wines and we were blown away by the amazing food and service.
We couldn’t believe the fantastic price for such a wonderful meal.
I wish I lived in South Africa so I could come back regularly.

Date of visit: September 2018