Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Silvia
Modena, Italy

Bad experience

Review of !Xaus Lodge
1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 02 Sept 2023via mobile
We spent two nights in this expensive private lodge and had high expectations given by the photos of the site, unfortunately it didn't go that way. The location is certainly very suggestive and the chalets very beautiful, the cuisine very well cared for but there is a but. I state that we were the only guests which amazed me as at the booking it seemed fully booked so that we had to move the dates. The first night around 11 pm there were loud squeasing and noises of scratching nails, coming from the nests of bats in the roof inside the chalet, bats that then began to fly and emit verses throughout the night. They scare me a lot so I spent the whole night awake huddled under the blankets while my husband tried to get them out. In the morning I reported everything to Antony, the manager, who spread his arms saying that they don't bother him. I expect such an answer from a staff member at Twee Rivieren where I pay 1000 rand a night, but not in a 22,000 rand private lodge. Although nothing would have changed, he should have proposed to change chalets since they were all empty and only 4 other people would arrive. The next night, same thing, however, I slept in the bathroom sitting on a chair with my feet on the toilet. In the morning when Antony the manager asked me how it went and I told him he smiled .... I'm a stupid tourist ok course ...... Let's move on to activities. A 55 minute night drive, a 50 minute morning walk and a 1 hour and 30 minute sunset drive We have been going to South Africa for 23 years and we know the natural environment well and it is not the first time we have gone to a private lodge, but we have never had such a treatment. I wrote an email on my return to the company that manages the lodge, no answer Money really wasted
Date of stay: August 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
R 1 606
95.8 km from !Xaus Lodge
Schlafzimmer
Unit 2
View more hotels in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
All reviews salt pan morning walk night game drive sand dunes sunset drive peaceful place small animals very special place knowledgeable guide self drive two nights animal sightings south africa water hole mata mata anthony bushman
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 August 2023

We spent 4 nights here and thoroughly enjoyed it. Considering its extremely remote location (350km from the nearest town), they provide excellent hospitality and catering. The chalets were clean comfortable, and the beds have electric blankets for the cold winter nights. Each has a view of the large watering hole in the salt pan that was visited regularly by antelope and jackal on our visit. We were incredibly lucky to see lions on our night drive and again when they came to drink from one of the smaller watering holes near the entrance to the lodge. We stood within a few meters of them on the lodge decking and I don't think I will ever forget it. We also regularly had jackals and mongoose walking around chalet. The Kalahari park might not have all the big 5 but we saw more than enough to keep things interesting and plenty of things that we had never seen before (meerkat, honey badger and many different birds of prey). It was probably the most peaceful and relaxing place I have stayed.

Room tip: The water for washing has a high mineral content and is a bit salty but purified water is provided for teeth brushing, etc.
Date of stay: July 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2023

!Xaus is a very special place where I was able to deeply appreciate the beauty of the Khalahari desert and the wisdom of the San people. The view over the saltpan from all rooms is incredible.

This is not the usual touristic place. The silence of the desert is medicine. The guides teach all they can about the names and life of the animals and plants and how to read the signs they leave on the sand.

Finally, the food is fantastic and the staff made my stay truly perfect for what I was looking for: to learn about the San culture and connect to nature.

Date of stay: May 2023
Reviewed 9 May 2023

!Xaus lodge is a gem in the kgalagadi. The hospitality was great. Our guide, Castro, was most informative and we had a super night game drive with him as well as an interesting morning walk where he pointed out the small things in nature. Highly recommend a stay here!
The concept of the lodge is what makes South Africa unique!

Date of stay: May 2023
Reviewed 8 May 2023

It is situated in a beautiful ands remote corner of the Kalagadi , There wasn't a lot of game but the remoteness and hospitality of the Lodge was super - maybe they can improve on the game drive experience !!

Date of stay: April 2023
Reviewed 28 March 2023

I wanted to experience the beauty and magic of the Kgalagadi without having to self-drive or self-cater, so I felt lucky to find the clean, comfortable !Xaus Lodge perched over a pan. My guide, Castro, had eyes in the back of his head and was somehow able to position me correctly so that I could get the perfect shot of an owl behind branches, for example.
He found me a clear sighting of a hoopoe, my favorite bird, and knew where the elephant shrew family was.

The lodge has wonderful views in all directions and excellent stargazing.
The staff is quite welcoming and the food is delicious. Don’t miss this. South Africa is a particularly good bargain as of this writing.

Date of stay: March 2023