“Sweet Treats”

Ranked #4 of 744 Restaurants in Jersey City
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to City Diner, the latest addition for successful restauranteurs Nicholas, Lefty and Mike Giakoumatos. City Diner is located in the revitalized historic area Jersey City, NJ, which has also taken the name Wall Street West. City Diner is not your ordinary culinary delight. The food will take your taste buds on a delicious adventure that is sure to please. City Diner features rustic modern decor, hard wood floors, cushioned seats and booths, and free WiFi. Make yourself at home and enjoy the HD plasma TV's while sipping on your favorite drink and enjoying your favorite meal. We have created an inviting modern touch that compliments the view of looking out on to the big city. City Diner will soon be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so you can always enjoy the comfort foods you are familiar with.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

My husband and I stopped in at City Diner for drinks and dessert. This place was very busy. The bar is kind of small but we lucked out and got a seat. The bartender was very busy but just as friendly. He was serving tables and the crowded bar. The dessert was good and the drinks were even better. I had an Irish Coffee and he took making it very seriously. It was delicious. My husband and I want to go back here for a meal. We kept seeing the food they were serving and it looked wonderful.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Superb choice of all sorts of food. My first time at City Diner. Friends went several times during our trip.
Food tastes great.
Gluten free options - but sadly no gluten free beer.
Very busy - suggest reservations.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

When I travel on business, I try not to do room service (what a waste of $$) and avoid chain restaurants. This is my third year coming to Jersey City (staying at Hyatt Regency) and now my third time coming to City Diner for breakfast. This is not the "stereotypical" diner -- but it ranks as a great spot for breakfast (oh, I love the Greek diner scene). It's becoming a routine. Today was the Denver omelet with rye toast and home fries. I still can taste the great ham in the omelet. Coffee is spot on (I do not like Starbucks). Today there was the stereotype of a Jersey guy eating -- the accent, the jogging suit, AND the huge gold chain around his neck. Oh, if I could have taken a picture. Next to him was a group of doctors talking shop. City Diner is great for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Great menu. I'll be heading back for breakfast tomorrow before I head back to Dallas. May have the Monte Cristo...

1  Thank Liz K
Reviewed 26 March 2018

The menu is varied, breakfast served all day. Staff is very nice and efficient. The big attraction is portions. Most entrees are in the $15 range but come with $20 or more worth of food. Many ingredients home made. I wanted to give them a 5 but I couldn't. Why? Corned beef. One of the two nights I visited I ordered a soup and sandwich combo (which came with a house salad for $12?!?!?) and the corned beef was fatty and overcooked. If you are going to serve corned beef anywhere close to Brooklyn it has to be decent! That said, it's a strong 4 and a solid no-frills dining option (worth noting is a full bar)

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

City Diner has become a Jersey City institution! It is a 24/7 staple. This isn't your father's diner. The interior is decorated like a high end Vegas hotel. You can't go wrong anything in the enormous Bible of a menu. Coffee is spot on. Service is terrific. What more can you ask for? Oh, they have a fully stocked bar with beers on tap. Boom! Try the pastrami