All reviews garden room mary ellen sunset beach pet friendly establishment west cape open year round my husband and i allow pets private entrance bring our dogs other guests off season place to stay home away from home never stay anywhere else french toast guest house
Reviewed 29 August 2016

Place is very clean and vintage. You feel like you are visiting a relative when staying here. Rooms are different sizes. Two I think have a kitchen. Have brought our dog with us....no problem. Pet friendly ! Home style breakfast.....always good. A bot of a walk to town center, but doable.

Room Tip: Some rooms have private bath and some rooms have a shared bath.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Highland-House-Dave, Owner at Highland House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2017

Thank you for your review of the Highland House.

I appreciate your kind words of our place and of your visit.

So nice of you.

Dave - the Highland House

Reviewed 13 August 2016

First of all, the good. Jenny and Mary Ellen, the two wonderful ladies who run this place during the week, were terrific. If we needed something, they responded quickly and with a smile. They cooked and served a wonderful breakfast every day. Which brings me to the bad.

The Highland House website states that coffee and tea are available every morning during June, July and August, and that full breakfast service would resume in September and continue through May. Armed with that knowledge, my wife and I purchased about $100 in breakfast foods before arriving at the Highland House, so that we'd have breakfast for the entirety of our stay. Imagine our surprise (and not in a good way) the next morning when we saw guests being served a sumptuous breakfast! UPDATE YOUR WEBSITE!! We wasted $100 because your website contained erroneous information. Not happy.

We stayed in room 3. My advice to you, don't. The only good thing I can say about the room is that the bed was comfortable. The room is on the central air conditioning system, and there is no temperature control in the room. We ended up asking for a fan (which was provided with no problem) to help keep us cool at night. The door to the room is on your right, immediately as you enter the building through the front door. So, every time someone went in or out of the building, we heard them. Also, the stairway to the second floor is right behind the wall where the bed is located, so every time someone went upstairs or came downstairs, we heard them. There is no closet, just a few hooks and hangers. There is one rather old "dresser" with two drawers that are very difficult to open and close. The room has four windows, two of which face a walkway on the side of the building, and two which face the front. The side windows have window shades which effectively block light. The front windows have mini venetian blinds which don't block light well at all. Once the sun comes up, the room is flooded with light. That could be a problem if you need it dark to stay asleep. (Then again, once people start coming downstairs, you're probably not staying asleep, anyway.)

Now to the bathroom. The person who designed this bathroom should be forced to live in it. First of all, there is a step down into the bathroom. If you are not aware of it, you could take a header. There are two "light" fixtures in the room. One is over the shower, and adequately lights the shower. The other is a recessed high hat ceiling fixture, located a couple of feet behind you as you stand at the sink. There is no lighting above the sink itself. Have fun shaving or applying makeup. The sink is in a little alcove, with walls to the right and left of it. I was constantly banging my elbows into the walls while washing or shaving. There are shelves to the right of the sink which were ample for storing toiletries and such, but no enclosed medicine cabinet.

So, while it was fun to meet other dog loving guests (and their dogs), and while Jenny and Mary Ellen were fabulous, we were left with a bad taste because of the incorrect breakfast info, the waste of $100 on food we really didn't need to buy, and the poor accommodations. So much so, that we left a day early and headed home.

By the way, if you look at the picture of room 3 on the website, that is not the way the room is arranged.

Suffice it to say, we won't be back.

Room Tip: I would recommend against booking room number three.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Highland-House-Dave, Owner at Highland House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2016

Hi Perry,

Thank you so much for your review of the Highland House. I'm sorry to hear that you and Nancy were disappointed with your visit.

My apologies to the two of you for causing you to purchase breakfast groceries prior to your stay. Earlier in the season I decided to serve a lighter selection during the busy season but quickly found that our many return guests requested our old dishes. I bake most of the meals and have my great helpers MaryEllen and Jenny serve them throughout the week. Our breakfast is complimentary. Everyone is welcome to join but many guests have preferences and diet restrictions. It was definitely a good idea to pack some of your preferred breakfast foods. I'll be sure to update the website once I've decided if we're going to continue with the expanded continental breakfast that is currently served.

My apologies too for the temperature in your room. Room III is usually the coolest room on our first floor. All of the rooms on the first floor are cooled by central air-conditioning. I am sorry to say there's only one thermostat for the entire floor. I hope the fan helped. The air-conditioning is brand new and has been working great. I'll definitely have it checked to be sure that all of the vents in Room III are properly running. I bet it doesn't help that the temperatures this month have been warmer than usual reaching over 100 degrees on some days.

Thank you for mentioning the comfortable bed. I'm glad to hear that.

Room III unfortunately is located near the front door and unfortunately the sound of other guests entering and leaving can be heard from this room. I've had the walls filled with sound proofing as well as a water feature but am sorry to say that you are correct in saying you can hear other guests. Fortunately the large flat screen television helps muffle some of the sounds. I certainly don't want to anyone to be as disappointed and certainly would appreciate all suggestions that would help eliminate or reduce some of the exterior sounds.

Lastly, I'm sorry the bathroom space was too small for the two of you. I've added 5 bathrooms to the Highland House since I purchased it. The decision was whether to have all 7 rooms share two large bathrooms or add private bathrooms that were small. The private bathrooms seemed to be the best option. The lighting I didn't know was a problem but will certainly look it increasing the wattage of the lights and possibly adding more lighting to the space.

The dresser in Room III is an antique and the drawers are not smooth when they open and close. I'm sorry about that.

I hope my reply at least shows that I care about the comfort of our guests and am truly sorry to hear of your disappointment. I hope you were able to enjoy the wonderful Island of Cape May during your stay and am very happy to hear that your dog had a great stay.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 20 July 2016 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed st Highland House multiple times in the past few years. It is not your typical swanky Victorian Cape May B&B, so if you're going for that kind of ambiance, look elsewhere.

HOWEVER, if you want or need to travel with one or more pets, you will never find a warmer welcome than you will here. It's not just for dog owners; we have traveled with cats and rabbits both. Every single member of our furry family has been welcomed and treated like royalty.

On your first visit you become part of the family. You just feel like you belong. We especially love the two rooms that have private entrances in the back. The one with the sliding glass door has made for some very content traveling cats over the years. There's no place else we'd rather stay.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Mary Ellen S

Hi Mary Ellen,

Thank you so much for your nice review of the Highland House. You've managed to sum what I always hope to achieve for all of our guests, both 2 and 4 legged ones. Such nice guests like yourselves always inspire us to continue to try our best to have all of our guests feel at home.

Thanks Again and Again!

Reviewed 25 June 2016 via mobile

Found this gem on my research to find a place to stay with my dog! Rooms very clean with no doggie smell! The ladies that run this B and B are all so helpful and friendly! There are quite a few dog friendly places including restaurants on Cape May! This B and B is within walking distance of many! There is no extra charge for your dog and the price of room fairly priced! If your dog likes to run around outside the yard is fenced and safe! Would definitely return!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Margaret C

Hi Margaret,

Thanks so much for your review of the Highland House.

It's always nice to hear when our guests enjoy their Stay. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your visit with other folks looking for a pet friendly place.

I hope the rest of your Summer has been a great one.

Thanks Again,

Reviewed 22 June 2016

This place is set up perfectly for you and your dog. We had Efficiency Room #1. It had it's own private entrance; a kitchenette, which came in very handy for leftovers; a couch that our dog took over as her bed; and it's own fenced-in, lovely yard. It was in the back and very quiet. Although I never met David, the inn keeper, his staff, Jenny and Mary Ellen, were very nice and helpful. The place was very clean and didn't smell at all like animals. The location was a half-mile from the beach and a mile from the Washington Street mall - it was a beautiful walk. My only complaint was that the breakfasts although homemade and yummy, consisted of baked good only (no protein). We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Efficiency #1 room was excellent - quiet, convenient, private.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brynspot

Thank you so much for your very nice review of the Highland House.

I'm sorry we didn't get to meet but am glad to hear that you were happy with Jenny and Mary Ellen. They're an incredible help to me and have become part of my family. I'm so lucky to have them.

Thanks for letting me know about the breakfast. I'm constantly changing the menu depending on the time of year and appreciate all of the suggestions.

Thanks again for your very kind review of the Highland House.

I hope we get to met the next time you visit.

Dave