“Cheesesteak Poetry”
Review of Donkeys Place

Donkeys Place
Ranked #1 of 67 Restaurants in Camden
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I was happy to see a recent episode of Anthony Bourdain’s CNN series, Parts Unknown, in which he touted that the best Philly cheesesteak is not found in Philly, but across the Delaware in Camden, NJ, at Donkey’s Place. It was so refreshing to hear someone confirm an opinion I’ve had for nearly 40 years. Yes, that’s how long I’ve been a customer at Donkey’s Place. Too bad that many locals don’t even think about venturing into Camden for lunch. Well, I’m here to tell you that I worked in Camden for 33 years, and lived there for 14 of those years. It’s a city on the rise, and besides, Donkey’s is easily accessible on Haddon Avenue not far from the ‘burbs. DO NOT BE AFRAID! You don’t even need a passport. Anyway, getting back to cheesesteak, their’s comes on a round mound of roll covered with poppy seeds, a nice change from the standard fare. And the meat is perfect. Piled high and smothered in the artery blocker of your choice. They have opened a suburban Donkeys Place Too in Marlton, but go for the original at least once. The service is better, it’s usually less crowded, and, most importantly, the suburban version is not located just a few blocks from Harleigh Cemetery inside which you can visit, in a secluded glen, the last resting place of the city’s most famous resident, Walt Whitman. Cheesesteak and Whitman. “Whatever satisfies the soul is truth”.

1  Thank John G

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

All about one thing - a solid meal - hearty cheesesteak, large beverage, no frills - a throwback to the city’s golden days....

Reviewed 10 March 2018

To be honest we were watching the television show the "Goldbergs" and the show mentioned Donkeys as having the best cheesesteaks so we had to giver them a try. First Donkeys cheesesteaks are served on a poppy seed bun. The cheesesteak with provolone cheese and an order of onion rings cannot be beat. I am from Philadelphia and have tried Pat's and Geno's and believed them to be equal and the best cheesesteaks. Well, now I am definitely a Donkeys fan. The only way to describe the experience is that the cheesesteak was simply wonderful. My daughter had a chicken cheese steak and descried it as just remarkable. Wr went to Donkeys for lunch as I understand that they are not open after 6PM. The combination of the poppy seed bun and the way the cheesesteak was prepared including the quality of the meat simply delicious.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

I moved to Philly in June 2008. I became a vegetarian in August 2008. I only had two months to experience Philly cheesesteaks. Then I started eating meat again in 2016. Donkeys was listed as one of the ten best sandwiches in the United States. They came on to the Preston and Steven show. It was so annoying. No one talked for like five minutes. They all just chewed and moaned on air. But I listen every day and have NEVER heard them react that way. I knew it had to be good. So I tried it. And anyone who has had Donkeys and doesn't think it is the best cheesesteak of all time does NOT know cheesesteaks. Their spicy pepper relish is to DIE for. My husband has spent a lot of time to recreate it. Their pickles and fries are also amazing. The staff is amazing and so warm. The locals drinking at all times at the tiny bar, many in workman boots, is amazing. I am a teacher and EVERY random holiday we have off (election days, Veteran's Day), I go to pick up steaks for my husband and I. I've turned at least 4 other people to this location and NO ONE will go anywhere else. They also have tons of swag, including sweatshirts and t-shirts that make references to donkeys (or another word), of course. I can NOT recommend this place enough. You will thank me.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

I'm still cheesesteak drunk 2 hours after that meal. I will not go to any other cheesesteak place ever again. This was that good. The meat was MEAT and plenty of it. Cant figure why they offer extra meat, plenty there. The onions were out of this world! What do they do with them? A poppyseed Kaiser roll? YES! You have to use the pepper oil on the table, it's intense. We bought extra to take home. The fries had old bay on them I think and were good, Also a huge serving too. And a great beer selection, the nationals and LOCALS too. It's a bar/dive in a somewhat sketchy area of Camden but seems ok/cool. Not hard to get to either.