“Get the bienenstich”

Cafe Vonsolln
Ranked #3 of 15 Coffee & Tea in Portsmouth
Cuisines: German
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I love this little cafe and coffee shop, not just because it reminds me of Europe, but because they have great coffee and some fantastic pastry. My favorite is their bienenstich, which is a German pastry also known as the 'bee sting' cake. Their version with vanilla custard filling, almonds and light, airy dough is out of this world. The cafe has a nice atmosphere, but I wish they'd crank up the air-conditioning a bit on hot or humid summer days because it can get really uncomfortable.

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

Had the egg, cheese and sausage on a biscuit. Can have on a bagel as well. Big variety of coffee and tea. They serve soup and sandwiches too. I had an apple danish which was also delicious.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Fell into this place because I didn’t have time for a full breakfast - definitely a place I will go back to. Food and coffee were good. Service a little slow as there was only one person working- but worth the wait.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Really, four stars. Everything was good but I wouldn't rate it top of the line in the food alone. But we arrived just as they were locking the door. The staff were cleaning but let us in anyway. And they didn't rush us, took time to help us order, we're knowledgeable, and clearly (and deseveredly) proud of their pastries.

I got gluten free lemon curd cheesecake. Gluten free in this case means no crust, so it's served in a ramekin. It was super. Lemony tart curd on top, rich cheese cake, but not sugary sweet. Three perfect raspberries for garnish.

We also got a banana chocolate cake-wow! Rich but not too heavy, the banana is a great addition.

Before we left I talked myself into an apple strudel hand pie. Crispy dough, sugary coating, apples filling- my favorite as a kid.

Highly recommend a stop after dinner or for a snack.

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

My favorites here are the Lady Grey tea and the Lovely Lemon Ginger scone. The egg sandwiches also rival anywhere in town. The lattes are delicious, too.