Open today: 10:00 - 20:00
Review Highlights
Outstanding instructor

My father (62) and I (28) traveled from Argentina to Cape Hatteras with the goal of improving our... read more

Reviewed 10 September 2018
Mariano P
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So much fun!

Learning how to kite surf with Ty this summer was great! The way he teaches makes it very simple... read more

Reviewed 24 August 2018
EmmanuelleL545

All reviews learning curve body dragging pamlico sound great instructor making money great person learning experience worth every penny the outer banks ty skills tower teacher confidence boom master sports
Reviewed 12 June 2018

If learning to kite board is on your to do list...go straight to TY at KITE HATTERAS. My husband and I are almost 60 and decided we wanted to learn this sport after seeing it on our travels around the world. We began lessons in late last June with an instructor that could take us as far as possible standing in the water and yelling out instructions, then we took more lessons in Mexico in December with an instructor on a jet ski zooming around our heads where we were not able to hear his instructions over the waves and motor & still neither of us were up and riding. Hearing that Hatteras has WARM, SHALLOW waters & consistent winds we decided to give lessons one more shot. I research endlessly when I am going to make an investment and learning to kite board is not cheap so...after reading reviews, watching videos, calling almost every kite board school in Hatteras we decided Ty was our guy and were are sure glad we did.

Ty was professional from our first conversation on the phone months before our lessons and to the last minute we were together. He was aware that we were investing a fair amount of money to learn this sport and did NOT waste our time racking up hours with "fill in" just to take our money. He made sure there was enough wind to make our lesson worthwhile and when in our lesson he tried to impart as much knowledge as possible in our time together.

Ty's classroom is his beautiful quiet boat with the "tower" where we could practice board skills without worrying about managing the kite & helmets with 2 way talk so we could actually ask him questions while we were on the water not just hear him talking in our ear. The tower and helmets are tools that enhanced our learning and took countless hours off the learning curve. Plus...we loved our boat rides on the beautiful Pamlico Sound listening to great music on our journey back to shore.

Ty took the time to make sure we knew the safety steps. He knew our main goal was to get up and riding however unlike the instruction we received in Mexico he would not allow us to put board and kite together on our own until he was confident we knew our stuff and were ready for that step and most importantly that we were safe.

The way Ty explained the steps was clear, concise and made sense. He addressed all our questions and made us both feel confident that we could succeed...as long as there was WIND which I swear if Ty could have figured out a way to make wind for us he would have!

Here is the thing...the days our lessons were booked the effects from Tropical Storm Alberto made it impossible. We were devastated as our plan was to take 3 days of lessons then practice on our own for the rest of our visit. Ty was booked with other anxious "want to be" kite boarders but found time to fit us in around personal obligations and minimal opportunities for wind. He was in constant contact with us and on call when ever the wind showed up which sadly for us was not often and from what we understand was very odd for Hatteras. However...in the time we did spend with him we learned tons and my husband got up and riding confidently & actually rode for over 2 miles! It was awesome!!! Although I did get up and ride for a short bit my lesson had to be cut short due to an approaching storm and after that the wind did not return before our departure. Ty tried to the last minute to get us out again but even Ty couldn't make the wind blow...sadly.
In summary...our time with Ty was invaluable. We are back in the cold deep waters of Canada and have the confidence to practice on our own hearing Ty's words in our ears. Truly if you are thinking of learning Ty is your guy! We have already booked more lessons in September as he is well worth the 16 hour drive...we can't wait to return.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 24 May 2018

If you want to learn to kiteboard, but are nervous about trying, Ty is the person to work with. Further, if you want to learn most efficiently and effectively from a demonstrated expert then you are also at the right place.

I've spent 2 years and too much time and hadn't progressed to being a proficient kiteboarder. Boom - 4-5 hours later I'm doing it all, riding, transitions, riding upwind and did it in a safe and well controlled way.

Here is why:
1. Ty breaks the sport down to small pieces - explains them in a meaningful way and helps you put them together effectively.

2. Ty has invested heavily in his craft. He has a unique bar on his boat that allows the trainee to experience riding on the board in the water without having to worry about the kite. This is very important and is reflective of Ty's ingenuity with teaching and the sport overall.

3. Ty is a good communicator - he can piece it all together in a way that anyone can understand. He also uses helmet radios so when you are out there putting it all together Ty will be in your head helping you make minor adjustments that make all the difference. "bend your back knee" is super meaningful and I heard it half a dozen times before it became habit.

4. Pamlico Sound is waist deep almost everywhere - fall and stand up - makes learning easier and a little less intimidating.

Lastly, Ty is a great person. I dare you to not absolutely enjoy spending a day with this guy - you will learn a lot and feel like you made a lifelong friend. Don't even think of going anywhere else - Ty is the guy.

Date of experience: May 2018
2  Thank thurmanjustice
Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

This was my second lesson with Ty. Ty keeps it simple and talked me through the steps calmly. Repeatedly he retrieved my board and gave encouraging advice for the next try. Transitions were explained for us both with his helpful little diorama and also in person. He definitely gives you confidence. I came back and rode both ways on my own after my lesson.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

Ty Luckett is an incredible kite boarding instructor and great guy. He has worked with my son from beginner to solo rider. Kite Hatteras's boat/kite set up is excellent. I would recommend Ty to all friends and family.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Ty is by far the best instructor I've ever worked with. He is incredibly skilled, patient and guides you the entire way. Last July I did a 3 day series of lessons. We started with board skills using the boom that hangs off the side of the boat. It's such a simple and yet brilliant idea to work on board skills without the complications of the kite. We moved on to kite skills, body dragging and culminated with some short rides on the last day.
At all times I felt utterly safe.
This year I picked right back up where I left off. Ty has some new toys. The wireless helmet radio and camera on the front of the boat enable him to offer you moment to moment feedback and guidance.
No time is wasted. Every moment on the boat is spent learning and progressing.
Lastly Ty is just an amazing person. He is genuine, funny and kind. An absolute to pleasure to learn from the master once again.

Date of experience: July 2017