“Fantastic Kiteboarding Instructor”

Kite Hatteras
Ranked #2 of 16 Tours in Hatteras
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: KITE HATTERAS offers the most efficient form of teaching on the East Coast. Ty Luckett’s custom kite boat offers safe and dry comfort as well as launching from the boat with all the equipment you need for any conditions. You will be on the water quickly with kites that are already rigged and a compressor to inflate them. More time for you to learn! Kite Hatteras specializes in PERSONAL ATTENTION Our camps have no more than 2 students (unless requested for a family or friends) With a certified boat captain, the latest Cabrinha kites and equipment and a boat that is specifically designed for use as a kite boarding instruction tool, Kite Hatteras offers a lesson program that is unlike any other. Kite Hatteras is the only company that offers "The Tower”, which provides instruction even in no wind conditions! Focusing entirely on board skills, "The Tower" pulls you out of the water at a 45 degree angle just as the kite will - allowing you to become comfortable with edging and proper foot pressure which are necessities for kiteboarding success. ABOUT TY Ty has been involved in the USA kitesurfing industry since its inception. Long before most of us had ever heard of kitesurfing, he mastered this new and exciting sport in April of 1998. He also has over twenty years of windsurfing experience. Ty was one of the first kiteboarding instructors in the country. While sponsored by "F-One Kites", he began "Grab High", a kiteboarding school based in Hatteras. For years, he taught lessons all over the USA. Ty was the head instructor at Kiteboarding Hatteras, a flight instructor with a commercial pilot's license and is a sponsored rider for Cabrinha. Ty has been featured in videos like "Air Sickness", "Pure North", "Pistol River Wave Bash", and "Kooks of Hazard." He continues to be one of most well respected local kitesurfers and continues to push himself to the next level. He offers top quality lessons with the highest level of professionalism and safety.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Ty is a phenomenal instructor and one of the pioneers of the sport.

Kiteboarding is an extreme sport that deserves your full respect and attention. If you are going to learn to do it right, invest in a quality instructor like Ty. I had never wakeboarded, windsurfed, or kiteboarded in my life and Ty's process broke the sport down into manageable parts so I could gain an understanding of how it worked and successfully get up on the board!

I cannot recommend Ty's instruction highly enough!

All reviews
"teacher"
in 5 reviews
"boom"

Reviewed 12 June 2018

If learning to kite board is on your to do list...go straight to TY at KITE HATTERAS. My husband and I are almost 60 and decided we wanted to learn this sport after seeing it on our travels around the world. We began lessons in late last June with an instructor that could take us as far as possible standing in the water and yelling out instructions, then we took more lessons in Mexico in December with an instructor on a jet ski zooming around our heads where we were not able to hear his instructions over the waves and motor & still neither of us were up and riding. Hearing that Hatteras has WARM, SHALLOW waters & consistent winds we decided to give lessons one more shot. I research endlessly when I am going to make an investment and learning to kite board is not cheap so...after reading reviews, watching videos, calling almost every kite board school in Hatteras we decided Ty was our guy and were are sure glad we did.

Ty was professional from our first conversation on the phone months before our lessons and to the last minute we were together. He was aware that we were investing a fair amount of money to learn this sport and did NOT waste our time racking up hours with "fill in" just to take our money. He made sure there was enough wind to make our lesson worthwhile and when in our lesson he tried to impart as much knowledge as possible in our time together.

Ty's classroom is his beautiful quiet boat with the "tower" where we could practice board skills without worrying about managing the kite & helmets with 2 way talk so we could actually ask him questions while we were on the water not just hear him talking in our ear. The tower and helmets are tools that enhanced our learning and took countless hours off the learning curve. Plus...we loved our boat rides on the beautiful Pamlico Sound listening to great music on our journey back to shore.

Ty took the time to make sure we knew the safety steps. He knew our main goal was to get up and riding however unlike the instruction we received in Mexico he would not allow us to put board and kite together on our own until he was confident we knew our stuff and were ready for that step and most importantly that we were safe.

The way Ty explained the steps was clear, concise and made sense. He addressed all our questions and made us both feel confident that we could succeed...as long as there was WIND which I swear if Ty could have figured out a way to make wind for us he would have!

Here is the thing...the days our lessons were booked the effects from Tropical Storm Alberto made it impossible. We were devastated as our plan was to take 3 days of lessons then practice on our own for the rest of our visit. Ty was booked with other anxious "want to be" kite boarders but found time to fit us in around personal obligations and minimal opportunities for wind. He was in constant contact with us and on call when ever the wind showed up which sadly for us was not often and from what we understand was very odd for Hatteras. However...in the time we did spend with him we learned tons and my husband got up and riding confidently & actually rode for over 2 miles! It was awesome!!! Although I did get up and ride for a short bit my lesson had to be cut short due to an approaching storm and after that the wind did not return before our departure. Ty tried to the last minute to get us out again but even Ty couldn't make the wind blow...sadly.
In summary...our time with Ty was invaluable. We are back in the cold deep waters of Canada and have the confidence to practice on our own hearing Ty's words in our ears. Truly if you are thinking of learning Ty is your guy! We have already booked more lessons in September as he is well worth the 16 hour drive...we can't wait to return.

Reviewed 24 May 2018

If you want to learn to kiteboard, but are nervous about trying, Ty is the person to work with. Further, if you want to learn most efficiently and effectively from a demonstrated expert then you are also at the right place.

I've spent 2 years and too much time and hadn't progressed to being a proficient kiteboarder. Boom - 4-5 hours later I'm doing it all, riding, transitions, riding upwind and did it in a safe and well controlled way.

Here is why:
1. Ty breaks the sport down to small pieces - explains them in a meaningful way and helps you put them together effectively.

2. Ty has invested heavily in his craft. He has a unique bar on his boat that allows the trainee to experience riding on the board in the water without having to worry about the kite. This is very important and is reflective of Ty's ingenuity with teaching and the sport overall.

3. Ty is a good communicator - he can piece it all together in a way that anyone can understand. He also uses helmet radios so when you are out there putting it all together Ty will be in your head helping you make minor adjustments that make all the difference. "bend your back knee" is super meaningful and I heard it half a dozen times before it became habit.

4. Pamlico Sound is waist deep almost everywhere - fall and stand up - makes learning easier and a little less intimidating.

Lastly, Ty is a great person. I dare you to not absolutely enjoy spending a day with this guy - you will learn a lot and feel like you made a lifelong friend. Don't even think of going anywhere else - Ty is the guy.

2  Thank thurmanjustice
Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

This was my second lesson with Ty. Ty keeps it simple and talked me through the steps calmly. Repeatedly he retrieved my board and gave encouraging advice for the next try. Transitions were explained for us both with his helpful little diorama and also in person. He definitely gives you confidence. I came back and rode both ways on my own after my lesson.