All reviewsblackfoot rivercattle drivehorseback ridingfly fishingchuck wagon dinnerkids campmaster chefclay shootingaerial adventurewhite water raftingbald eaglesdining paviliondog sleddingspa treatmentsfloat tripgourmet foodhot tub
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We came with high expectations and overall it was a great trip... but we were just a bit underwhelmed with our dining experiences. There just didn't seem to be anyone in charge at the restaurant in the PM and we were extremely disappointed in our service there on two occasions. One evening we waited for about 15 minutes before my husband had to find someone to ask them to wait on us! We thought it was just due to staffing or a busy night.... but the next night we had the same thing happen to us, plus we had to send our burgers back because they were next to raw. It was just unbelievable. The bartender seemed to be completely overwhelmed and kept telling us how busy she was, yet there were only about 5-10 people in the bar area at the time. Finally, another bartender approached our table and when I expressed our disappointment, she made sure to do everything she could to make things better and sent us some complimentary drinks. It sincerely seems like Paws Up is missing a maitre d or manager to keep things running smoothly in the evening.
On another note, the activities were fantastic and each and every guide was competent, smart, knowledgable and fun to be around. Our kids (13 and 11) had a fantastic time and we made a lot of great memories as a family. Just wished the dining piece hadn't been such a disappointment.

3  Thank carchajo2018
Steve H, General Manager at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear carchajo2018,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your thoughts on your experience. We will take your suggestions and share this information with the team involved. We have a number of managers working in the evening and apologize that they were not available to improve your experience.

I am happy you were able to enjoy the remainder of your stay and create some fantastic family memories!

I hope we see you again soon and can show you that we will immediately improve!

Regards,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We came to Paws Up with our 12 and 14 year old children. We stayed 4 days in North Bank Camp and 2 days in a Timber Home overlooking the horses after they are turned out to pasture at night. The North Bank Camp was a huge highlight! I have to give a big shout out to Crystal, Tristan and August who were our Butlers from late afternoon through the evening throughout our whole stay. Not only did they do an amazing job but they are clearly first class people! In addition, I felt the meals at North Bank Camp were better than eating at the other restaurants even though there was less choices; the food was fantastic.
One more big shout out-to Jackie, who is the Head of the Horseback riding program. She did a fantastic job with our whole family through a couple trail rides, cattle drive, and a lesson for our 2 children. You have fantastic horses with fantastic Wranglers!
2 more shout out's to Ryan who was our guide on the Blackfoot River ride-we had a great time. Last to the Chef's from the Montana Long Table dinner; Josh, chef from Chicago for Honey Fried Chicken and Mike, chef from Chicago who made the Biscuits-both may have been the best I have ever had-and great guys to boot!
I only have 2 criticisms: first is more minor-transportation when you don't have a vehicle(if you're staying in the Tents you don't) has to improve as waiting times can be a little long.
Second, and important: either tipping has to be included or there should be guidelines. I was so confused as to how, who and what to tip that it was a little upsetting.
We thought the must do activities were horseback riding, ATV's, Clay Pigeon Shooting, Blackfoot River Trip.
Last of all, to Louis, the best, most loving, but demanding SHEEP I've ever met. I don't have a farm, but if you're ever going to move him to anywhere but a safe place, let me know and we'll make sure he has a happy home!

3  Thank gregoryd0607

Dear Gregory,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful review, and I'm thrilled you enjoyed so many activities and our guest chefs! Your comments and suggestions are appreciated and our team will review them together.

...and Louis is only available when you visit, this wonderful sheep is a friend of mine as well (spent much of the winter visiting him frequently) and we love his quirky ways...you are welcome to visit frequently!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were told to visit here over a few other "glamping" ranches from some friends and while I cannot tell anyone a 'difference', this resort is top-notch and amazing! BUT, do not be fooled thinking that it is JUST a glamping experience. They have plenty of traditional wilderness-style home options. With the latter, each home gets a Kia Soul (and we got two because of six drivers in the home). Meals are outstanding but probably a little bit better in the camps because they are essentially made-to-order and family-style. Our group of six stayed in a wilderness home and the Northbank camp (the newest). The camps and tents are TRULY "glamping!" Each camp has a couple of butlers that will get you basically anything you need. The activities are amazing also. I could NOT pick my favorite out of the cattle drive, float trip, fly fishing, ATV-ing, RZR-ing, downhill mountain biking, or sporting clays! They were ALL great and the guides were outstanding also! They let you know that the guides and butlers are paid very well but we still tipped a small amount. They do pick up and drop off at the airport in Missoula so transportation is not an issue. We had a few small issues with our bill but they were quick to change as needed based on our package. I highly recommend the Family Package to make it easier to calculate things. In addition to all of this, the resort has an app that allows almost immediate communication with staff and transportation which is HUGELY beneficial. Overall, this one of the best week's of vacation for my family and our friends! We will be going back!

Room Tip: Go for the "glamping" option if you want to "feel" the outdoors every day otherwise take one of the homes.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Steve H, General Manager at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Douglas P,

Our entire team appreciates reviews like yours as we take great pride in being a part of your vacation and experience in Montana! You were able to enjoy so much of our resort during your time here and that certainly thrills us as well (you are well on your way to being a thrillionaire)!

We look forward to having you back and thank you again for staying with us and this wonderful review!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed for 5 days in the river camp. The tent is much, much older than the pictures. Looking on their website at the river camp page it shows a tub. No tub or ceiling fan in the rooms. Its not clean or updated. We love spending time with our grandkids but this was a trip for my wife and myself. We had kids climbing on the post that held our tent and running around the area as kids do being very loud. No chance for a nap or quite time on the porch. After dinner siting by the fire having a glass of wine would have been nice but several kids running around the fire every night making s'mores. The whole experience was like being a Disney Fort Wilderness. Our meals were no better than what you would get at Cracker Barrel. The first night we eat chicken wings because we didn't like oysters or half cooked pork. Lunch was a buffet that offered hamburgers, fried white fish or a turkey wrap. Breakfast is anything that you ask for cooked only with a propane grill. The wine we had for dinner each day sell for under $15 at our local grocery store. This explains everything because that was the quality of everything.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 273mjohnson

Dear Mr. Johnson,

I have attempted to reach you for further conversation as after our phone call left me feeling we had come to a mutual understanding; it would seem that you changed your mind after completing our communication and that is obviously not what I had hoped and I sincerely apologize.

For those considering a stay with us, I assure you we re-invest in our tents every year and this camp is no exception. Panels are frequently changed and while may not be as crisp as a solid, plaster wall, they are high-end, American made canvas. Our website features videos of all our camps and that is the image that this guest was confused with, it has photos of many various tents and I would encourage anyone planning a stay with us to share what you are hopeful to experience.

We also have many various guests stay with us, some couples and some families with many varying ages of children. If you notify us that you would like to be away from children we will do everything we can to accommodate that request.

Again, please accept my apologies Mr. Johnson and I hope you will reconsider a future stay.

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

No surprise, this is a high end resort and it’s pretty much amazing. Biggest take away was the staff tho. Rather than gushing, here’s 3 stories showing what I’m talking about. A guy just got dropped off at the campsite and was walking to his tent. The butler met him more that half way with drink in hand and said, “Hey Vince. How was the presentation? Here’s your drink”. Remembered his name, what he did that day, and favorite drink. Didn’t see that one coming. 2nd Story: We had an “Amazing Race”. Our teams had to answer riddles, and the staff/vans took us to the various activities. We were timed, there were points, etc.. The next day, the staff was “Who won? Who won? My team had 20 points for archery, 15 for hatchets and James made 5 laps for the grizzly man”. They were engaged in our teams. These are not sleepy college kids doing their summer job. Last story: I was being dropped off at the cabin after dinner. The van pulls up with the lights shining on the cabin. When I start to get out, the driver says, “Do me a favor. Go in through the back (where the vans lights were shining) so I know u make it in safe”. My mouth dropped. That was pretty much the sweetest gesture anyone has showed me in years. Conclusion is this. The staff is engaged, focused, sweet, kind, funny, friendly, and pretty much the most amazing staff I’ve encountered. EVER.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Jed H
Steve H, General Manager at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2018

Dear Jed H,

Thank you for staying with us and of course for this fantastic review. We pride ourselves in our genuine, thoughtful and kind service and am thrilled that this is exactly what you experienced. We hope to see you again soon!

By the way, James making five trips around the Grizzly Man trail may be worthy of us writing a five star review from him - no easy feat!

The Resort at Paws Up