“Yellowstone horseback”

Hell's A-Roarin' Outfitters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a Montana hunting, fishing and horse ride outfitter, operating near Yellowstone National Park since 1979. In the summer months, we offer horseback rides, guided fishing trips, pack trips and rental cabins near Gardiner MT and the north entrance of Yellowstone National Park. Read more about our summer activities. In the fall, we run guided hunting trips for bear, deer, elk, goats, sheep and wolves. We also have a fabulous wedding venue with beautiful mountain views. Wedding planning services and in-house catering are available or feel free to use your own planning services and/or catering.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

What a great time. Between the fantastic views and the friendliest staff I have encountered it's hard to write enough. Well trained horses. Gorgeous grounds. Sitting by the fire at night and telling stories so much fun. I recommend at least 2 days as my girls did not want to leave. A fantastic group. Oh steak dinner is great so do that as well. A must do

All reviews
"entire family"
"paddle saddle"
"highlight of our trip"

Reviewed 27 June 2018

We love Hell's A-Roarin!! This wasn't our first trip there, but the cowboys/cowgirls are always the most friendly and enjoyable people. The cowboy cookout was so fun! My kids loved it and the food was great. We also stayed in a wall tent and got to wake up to a beautiful view of Electric Peak. My parents and sister stayed in a cabin and were quite comfortable. We always look forward to our next visit to Hell's A-Roarin.

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

This is a very mixed review because our experience had highs and lows. We booked a combination paddle/saddle tour through Wild West Rafting (excellent experience). When we arrived we were greeted by a very nice college aged girl and then the “cowboys” brought each person a horse to ride just by looking us up and down. No one questioned if we had any riding experience. The cowboys didn’t make any adjustments to the saddles or the stirrups. I know just enough to know that a ride is a better experience for both the rider and the horse if the equipment is adjusted properly. We then were told to just stand in a group - but no instruction was given on how to guide the horse. When my friend’s horse wouldn’t quit backing up he (my friend) was scolded by an older cowgirl, but he wasn’t told what he was doing wrong to make the horse back up. I have had minimal riding experience, but my friend and my mother had zero. All they were told was “if you start to fall off, just hang on. You will get hurt a lot worse if you jump.” That’s it. Even with my minimal experience I could have given basic instruction like only put your toes through the stirrups, how to hold the reins, and which way to lean when you go up and down a hill (which we did a lot). When we were on the ride the scenery truly was gorgeous and we were able to see bison and elk and gorgeous views. But when I asked to stop briefly for pictures on more than one occasion we were not allowed to stop at all. There were three guides with our group of 20 +/- riders. The guide nearest to me was friendly and talkative ... but he didn’t know anything a normal guide would tell you - like the history of the area, facts about the landscape or really anything. I can’t hold it against him, he was only 15 years old, but what you learn from a trip adds to the experience and we learned nothing other than that the cowboys were competing in a local rodeo that evening and we were the last ride of the day.
When we returned from our two hour ride my mother had lost her wallet. She first told a middle aged woman who worked there but that woman couldn’t have cared less. She then told the lead guide from our trip, and he was kind. But he said there was no way anyone could make a repeat trip down the trail to look for it despite my mom’s offer of a $100 reward.

Despite all this we did enjoy our trail ride. However, we took another trail ride 5 days later with Mill Iron Ranch in Jackson, WY and the differences were amazing. At Mill Iron the first thing they talked about was safety - for the horse and rider, then about never leaving anything in a back pocket (that would have been nice to know). At Mill Iron the views were far more dramatic, we had time for pictures and the guide was informative and personal. The cost for both tours was similar.

I don’t like to be negative, but I use TripAdvisor repeatedly when traveling and I hope this helps others make an informed decision.

Reviewed 10 June 2018

My wife and I took the 2 hour trail ride while visiting Gardiner on for our wedding anniversary. I have been on at least 30 trail rides while working in the park as a guide (complimentary rides for park employees) and was not expecting anything life changing on this particular ride as I have been on so many however this one was on the top of the list. What impressed us the most were the two young men leading the ride. They were polite, professional, courteous, and hard working, things that are becoming scarce in young people today. Thank you guys for the great time and keep it up! The world needs more young men such as yourselves.