“Great dinner and great service”
Review of Al's Restaurant

Al's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Al's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #885 of 3 236 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Riverfront
Cross street: Biddle
Reviewed 14 May 2017 via mobile

We took 12 people to Al's last night for a family dinner. They were willing to seat us late even though their kitchen closed at 10. We sat down around 9:30. They were happy to have us and the service was wonderful. The lobster bisque was wonderful with huge lumps of lobster in it. The escargot was fantastic as well. The crab cakes were pretty good, but not what we were used to. The presentation was wonderful. They do not have a printed menu but instead show you the food that you can order. They have a lot to choose from. They also have a lot of sides to choose from. No one went away hungry and everyone was very happy with their meals. At the end of dinner the owner came out to visit with us. I would definitely go back.

1  Thank ShannonME

Reviewed 23 March 2017 via mobile

A friend of a co-worker recommended it so we decided to try it. When we told the Hilton where we were going they were less than impressed. Said no one went there anymore (bad neighborhood and past it's time) and tried to steer us away. We should have listened. I think we heard 18 times about how they were in business 92 years. Maitre D kept coming over and telling us stories about the past that were over the top and boring. We started with the ravioli and shrimp cocktail. Ravioli was so over cooked that meat inside was almost dust. Shrimp was ok but we found out later that 6 average to small shrimp cost us $33. Oh yeah, no menu's. it's a tradition that they verbalize their menu. I think that is how they get around charging you a fortune for really bad food. For dinner 2 had steak, 1 had lamb and 1 had pork chop. Everything was overcooked to the point that if there was any flavor it was long gone. I asked for my filet mignon medium rare and it came out well done. A co worker asked for it medium and his came out medium. I asked them to cook another one and they recommended that we switch so both would only be a little overcooked. I was so pissed off by this point in time and wanted the pain to end so bad that I agreed to the swap because I didn't want to wait for them to cook a steak properly. The best part was that this below average meal cost $450 for 4 people. They should be ashamed of themselves for what they charge and what they serve. 92 years is impressive but in my opinion about 10 years too long and I definitely wish they had closed their doors before I wasted my money at Al's

2  Thank indigo5240
Reviewed 30 January 2017

This was our very first visit to Al's. I had always heard great things about Al's, but you really have to experience Al's to understand how great it is. The place is amazing. We had a late dinner reservation this past Saturday night and were seated at the Frank Sinatra table. Our server was one of the owners. He was very helpful in assisting us in selecting our meal. Throughout the evening he told us all about the history of the restaurant and the building. He also had great stories to tell. I was a little intimidated that they do not have a printed menu. This was different for us, but the way they present and describe the menu is very detailed. The food was very good. We would go back again. A great dining experience.

Reviewed 28 November 2016 via mobile

My husband and I went to Al's for a special birthday with another couple. We had not been there in over 25 years. It used to be our go to place for special occasions. It was one of the worst meals we have had in a long time, with a very high price. No prices on the menu! No mention of specials. I ordered a filet mignon medium rare. I was served a steak that was burnt on the outside and well done. This is supposed to be a steak place. I was given a new steak but by the time I got my food everyone else was done with their meal. There were only a few tables in the restaurant but the service was awful! It took 30 minutes to get our drinks and after being at the restaurant for an hour we had to wave someone down to take our order. They apologized for the slow service blamed it on a party of 30 that we never saw. Regardless we will never return! A lot of better steak places in town with excellent service!

3  Thank Denise A
Reviewed 9 November 2016

Lived in St. Louis all my life and enjoy fine dining. Drove past Al's one night and thought my wife and I should go. All I can say was the meal, the people and the conversation with the owner was one of our top five dining experiences. This is how fine dining should be. The steak and the sea bass was amazing. They cooked the sea bass the way I asked and was one of the best fish meals ever. The steak was amazing and the Italian Potatoes was the perfect match to both meals. Wine list was very nice. If the owner is in and has time, ask to see the back room with all the history and art. A must see is the bar. The old steam ship replicated as the bar. I cannot say enough. Wonderful place, wonderful people. A must go for a special occasion.