“A must-visit in Kansas City”

National WWI Museum and Memorial
Kansas City Hop on-Hop off Day Pass
Ranked #1 of 139 things to do in Kansas City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The National WWI Museum and Memorial is America's leading institution dedicated to remembering, interpreting and understanding the Great War and its enduring impact on the global community. The Museum and Memorial holds the most comprehensive collection of World War I objects and documents in the world and is the second-oldest public museum dedicated to preserving the objects, history and experiences of the war. The Museum and Memorial takes visitors of all ages on an epic journey through a transformative period and shares deeply personal stories of courage, honor, patriotism and sacrifice. Designated by Congress as America's official World War I Museum and Memorial and located in downtown Kansas City, Mo., the National WWI Museum and Memorial inspires thought, dialogue and learning to make the experiences of the Great War era meaningful and relevant for present and future generations.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I'm not a big fan of wars in general, but this is one of the best museums I've ever visited, with a wealth of original materials. Starting with the orientation movie that describes the build-up to the war, the exhibits lead visitors through information-packed descriptions not just of the war itself but of concurrent historical events.

From photos to fighting machines to personal accounts of those who survived (and biographies of some who did not) the museum is evocative of a time in the not-so-distant past, and of political alliances and intrigues that seem only a little too close to home.

The Liberty Memorial, which stands at the center of the museum, is almost 100 years old, and visitors can ride to the top (we didn't do that). The views from the museum patio, overlooking Union Station and the downtown skyline, were spectacular enough for us.

Write a ReviewReviews (4 858)
All reviews
"liberty tower"
in 46 reviews
"elevator ride"
in 48 reviews
"great view of the city"
in 55 reviews
"ww1"
in 389 reviews

279 - 283 of 4 861 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Movies, uniforms, tools, guns, war equipment, and much more on display here for all to see. I found the maps helpful to see where the war was happening in that time period. They also made simulations, like the trench and a bomb blast. It was like being there.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

I was told by many people before I visited that this was one of the most well-done museums in the country. The museum absolutely lived up to expectations, which is rarely the case! I am a history buff so I spent almost full two days there (which an admission ticket thankfully allows). I saw the special exhibit Gassed which was very interested and interacted with the volunteers with artifact carts. Even the cafe had options to "eat like a soldier" in which the food was served like it would have been for the soldiers. (It was also delicious) The main exhibit space was reading intensive, but it had a variety of interactive, video, and audio opportunities to balance it out. There's just a lot of information about the war itself!

The second day I just happened to visit when the museum hosted live interpreters in costume. That particular weekend corresponded with the Gassed exhibit. These interpreters were dressed up in military uniforms from various countries and allowed visitors to touch their artifacts, ask any questions about any of the countries involved, and interact if possible. (Got to briefly whiff what mustard gas would have smelled like and let me tell you, that made the soldiers' experience a little more real.)

I cannot praise this museum highly enough. I will definitely stop again when I go to KC.

1  Thank jkrukowski14
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

We had a business function here and I will definitely return. There is so much interesting information on display, I wish I had more time to walk through again. The tour guide seemed very knowledgeable.