J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks and Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks and Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 45 Restaurants in Des Peres
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Manchester and 270
Description: J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips. The cozy atmosphere includes rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open daily for dinner & lunch. Reservations are recommended.
Reviewed 27 October 2017

My friend and I went here for our birthday last month. The food is great! I ordered steak with Lobster tail, zucchini bake and baked potato, he had steak with garlic potatoes, and mac n cheese lobster. The steaks were cooked just we ordered them, medium plus. They were very tender and the service here is wonderful. They helped make our birthday dinner special and even gave us free desert! The food is pricey but worth it! I would definitely come back!

Date of visit: October 2017

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Dinner disappointing. Even 18 oz. ribeye was cut thin. Brussel sprouts just okay but sautéed spinach very bitter. Nothing up to expectations given the high prices including service which felt hurried.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

Sam was our server. So our experience started out wonderful. My husband has been to the KC one and I have been to the Virginia one, but had never been to the one 25 miles from home! Atmosphere, Quality and Service: it was 5+ for all three categories!
I had scallops and crab cakes. Divine
My husband had the tomahawk rib eye(whatever that was) but it was awesome as well!
From now on out Tripp, we will be regulars.
Thank you Sam for a wonderful evening.

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank Askcarolyn
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

We had dinner reservations for our anniversary and while the meal was good, the experience was not special. My steak was extremely rare and was recooked to my original request of medium-rare. Service for 2 was slow, waiting for cocktails, and then for water. Why anyone asks upon making a reservation whether it is for a special occasion is beyond me. My husband had mentioned on the reservation that it was for our anniversary, but nothing was mentioned, no special dessert, nothing. Just an ordinary dessert menu from which we purchased crime brûlée. Slow clearing of dishes between courses. Perfunctory service, not awful but definitely not solicitous. We will go somewhere else next year for a more celebratory occasion.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 14 August 2017

We chose this place since we were feeling steak around lunchtime for dinner. I tried to get reservations at 3 other places for 5:45 or later and they had no availability. This place had multiple times so we scheduled at 6:45. We arrived a bit early and overall for the night service was so incredibly slow. We did get dessert but in total we sat at 6:30 and didn't leave until after 8:30. Their menu is very interesting with some unique sides. I got the top sirloin with honey sriracha carrots, and the poblano au gratin potatoes. The carrots came in three large strips and were unevenly cut and one was very much not done but flavors were great. My steak was also supposed to be medium but there was only a smallest hint of pink on the top side of the steak. The blue cheese butter was amazing! I did not mention the steak issue because our server did not check back until I was already 3/4 done even with me trying to delay and wait for him. I didn't want to wait for another steak and didn't want my food to get cold. My husband's steak frites was actually a medium steak but the fries were over salted. Dessert we got the chocolate velvet cake which is a cake layer with chocolate mouse and ganache in a cheesecake like serving. It is served with raspberry ice cream. The ice cream is amazing! However, the dessert was hastily dropped in front of us and the cake almost slid off the over large plate in the process. There was nothing to dress the super large plate up, just the cake chunk and the ice cream scoop. It needed some presentation improvements, even a chocolate swirl on the empty side.

Overall for the price and the expectation it was just very lacking. The flavors were there but presentation, delivery, and service was just very sub-par for a steakhouse of this price and supposed caliber. I could see why they had reservation openings. I recommend going on a weeknight when maybe they are not as busy and hopefully they will be on point then. We are willing to give it another shot but for $120 a couple not including tip there are so many other places we will go back to in St Louis area first.

Date of visit: August 2017
HoulihansRestaurants, Guest Relations Manager at J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks and Seafood, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

Hi Stacey- Thank you for providing your valuable feedback. I'm very sorry to hear about lackluster service you received and the dissapointing presentation. Please know we take your dissatisfaction seriously and would like to make it right. If this is amenable, please contact us at social@jgilberts.com so I can have our team reach out directly. Thank you. -KZ