“Disappointed ”

Ranked #3 of 134 Restaurants in Starkville
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Great food, great service, and a great atmosphere are the three things we offer to ensure you have a GREAT dining experience. Harvey's is a contemporary restaurant with an atmosphere set by old brick, decorative woodwork, and great music. We serve everything from specialty salads and sandwiches to our signature 48 hour marinated ribeyes and famous prime rib. Go to our website for our most current menu!
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We’ve been eating at Harvey’s for years— since they opened in the ‘80s. Because it’s more expensive, we consider it a real treat to go. The last couple of times have been a little disappointing, but today was the worst, and not sure if we’ll be back.

For starters, when they brought us an appetizer, they didn’t bring any individual plates, making it almost impossible not to double dip the sauces.

When we told our waiter he hadn’t asked how we wanted the steak cooked, he said he hadn’t put our ticket in yet...and we were already finished with our appetizer. Still, when our steak came out, we saw very little pink.

We didn’t see a kids menu, and had an 11 year-old boy with us who we were taking out for a special occasion who wanted a steak, so my husband decided to split one with him, which we told our waiter. But they didn’t bring an extra plate.

The boy had finished his drink after the appetizer, but our waiter never came around, and when someone else did, they wanted to refill with with water or tea without asking— it was coke. And then our waiter came around for the first time since we’d seen him since we’d begun eating our meal, though it was 1:15 by this time and most of the lunch crowd was gone, he also wanted to refill the boy’s glass with water or tea.

Our waiter also told us that with the steak we got to choose two sides, but then he changed us for one of them.

I ordered the Asian salad, and rather than giving me the Asian dressing that was supposed to come with it, they gave me what tasted like honey mustard.

The one good thing was the fried cheese.

Harveys-Starkville, General Manager at Harveys, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

I'm so sorry to hear about your recent experience at Harveys Starkville. We pride ourselves on making people happy, and I'm sorry to hear that we missed the mark on your last couple visits. Please email me at stkharveysgm@gmail.com, as I'd like to discuss the matter more with you so that I can relay information to the rest of my management team and work to make sure this never happens again.

Again, I'm so very sorry about your recent experience, and we look forward to another chance to make you happy very soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

We happened upon Harvey’s because it was close to MSU-CVM. What a great find! We started with the pimento cheese and crawfish with crusted bread slices. Delicious!Two of us had the special entree-horseradish encrusted Mahi Mahi and my husband had the half rack of ribs. We were all pleased with our meals. The drinks were VERY unique and we all tasted each other’s. My favorite was the maroon and white.
Service was pleasant and attentive. We will definitely return to Harvey’s next time we’re here.

Harveys-Starkville, General Manager at Harveys, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2018

Mary Ellen -

Thanks for your kind words! We look foward to seeing you again soon!

Thanks,

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

The service was great. Food was good, but nothing out of the ordinary. The catfish was a bit disappointing.

Lynn-

I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't like the Blackened Catfish! Please ask for myself or another manager the next time you are in and we will be happy to help you find something on the menu that you're sure to enjoy! We look forward to another chance to make you happy soon!

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

Visited Harvey’s for lunch with two friends expecting the excellence of the past. We were seated and ordered quickly. We were highly anticipating the Fried Cheese appetizer from our college years. It arrived and was undercooked and not crispy or golden. We waited over 35 minutes for our entrees. My friend’s salad arrived with her entree. Rarely saw our server. Management repeatedly apologized but in an unwarm and dismissive manner. They comped our appetizers and gave free desserts to go but we were tired and frustrated by then. We were expecting our nostalgic day to center around a great and relaxing lunch but we were so disappointed and sad. I will say that the atmosphere was warm, very tasteful and extremely clean.

Harveys-Starkville, General Manager at Harveys, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2018

I'm so sorry to hear about your recent experience with us. We LOVE it when alumni come back to visit us at Harveys and I'm so disappointed that we didn't live up to what you remember. I'd really like to chat more with you about your experience and learn what we can do next time to make your experience wonderful. Please email me at stkharveysgm@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you and getting another chance to make you happy very soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2018

My wife and I ate here with another couple last night. We ordered a crab cake dinner, which came with a crawfish bowl, asparagus, and rice. Our waitress was incredibly attentive. Another young woman asked if anyone was celebrating anything, and she learned that one of our group had recently had a birthday. Even though it was a week or so earlier, the birthday girl got a free dessert, which she shared with my wife and me. All the food tasted good, although I thought the crab cakes had more stuffing than crab meat and that the crawfish bowl was mostly just soup, with not much crawfish meat. In summary, the food tasted good, the service was excellent, and we enjoyed the experience.