All reviews waffle house room was clean enjoyed my stay hospital pets
Reviewed 2 February 2017 via mobile

Have stayed in third world accommodations that were cleaner, safer, less smelly, and more secure than the Jackson Red Roof Inn. Staff were perfunctory. Elevator was scary with shudders and scraping metallic sounds. Had problems closing doors, both the outside and the bathroom. There were two towels for 4 people. The a/c coils would benefit from a good cleaning. An overall renovation and/or a good deep cleaning would be beneficial. There appear to be a number of long term residents.
On a more positive note,It was a very instructive stay for our foreign guest and lead to interesting discussions about American stereotypes, perceptions, and realities.
It is difficult to understand the 3 star rating. This hotel merits a single star at most. Travelers be warned.

Date of stay: February 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Rebecca M
Deepak P, Owner at Red Roof Inn Jackson Downtown - Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

I am sorry your stay was not up to your expectation. I will share your comments with the Hotel staff

Reviewed 10 October 2016

We checked in around 11 pm. When we went to the room and open the door the room looked clean and smelled good. Then my girls started yelling because they see roaches all around the door. I walked in asked where and she pointed them out by the door and then one my girls saw one on the table by the bed. I called front office and requested a new room. They informed me that they would have to expect the room to see the roaches before they could give me a new one. As I was waiting for security to get there I looked around the room and found several in the bathroom crawling around. By this time I told my kids to go to the car and wait I didn't want them around this mess and I sure didn't want them roaches getting in my bags. It took security 15 mins to get there. By the time they got there you and I both know that roaches run and hide from light. When security and the owner (I am assuming) looked around it wasn't many left. Found one dead on the carpet between the 2 beds. He asked if I reserved the room online and I told him yes, and then he said he couldn't give me my money back. That I would have to get it from them. When I informed him that I paid cash upon check in he said he would give me my money back. As we where leaving the room he asked if I would take another room and I said only if it was clean on no BUGS. So he took me to another room and as soon as the door open even more roaches were at the door. As soon as I saw them I said NO! I want my refund. The whole time he kept telling me they weren't in the room only outside trying to get in. I don't care please give me my room. When we got to the front desk, the clerk didn't want to give me my money back because there was a shift change and she didn't check me out. The owner (I am assuming) said yes give refund to her. He then tried to get me to still stay because he said there were no more rooms available any where. I informed him I would sleep in my car before I would sleep in those rooms. He started apologizing.

I have stayed in several Red Roof Inns and this was by far the worst experience I have ever had.

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank casper_max_tippy
RedRoofJackson, Manager at Red Roof Inn Jackson Downtown - Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2018

Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to write a review.

We could not agree with you more regarding the location of our hotel! As we are just steps from all of the fun entertainment, attractions and amazing dining options in Downtown Jackson.

Our team was disappointed to read that our property fell short of your expectations compared to your stay several years back during Busytime. We welcome you to reach out to our management team directly if you would like to discuss any specifics of your recent stay.

Your candid feedback is appreciated, as it helps our team as we continue to strive to deliver an excellent lodging experience.

Reviewed 22 September 2016

We got charged $20 to book this hotel online. When we checked in, we were bringing in our bags. I was going to push the 2 beds together so that our 3 year old son could sleep with us. At this time, A rat decides to run out along with the roaches that my wife killed running down the wall. Never again Red Roof Inn.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Rich248845
Reviewed 21 September 2016

I mentioned to staff that a vehicle was leaking oil. I slipped and managed to catch myself before I fell. When I checked out (two days after initial report), the oil was still there. Hotel staff said they told owner who stated "what do you want me to do about it". I mentioned that it is a huge safety hazard and an elderly person may not be so lucky. Bottom line, owner appears to be very overwhelmed and I personally heard him say "what do you want me to do about it" when other guests complained about various things. My room happened to be very clean, but I noticed three separate groups of folks check out due to uncleanliness. Expect your usual rowdy / unsavory type to check in over the weekend. Hotel staff were pleasant, owner not pleasant. Stayed there 9/14 through 9/17/16. I will not stay there again because owner does not care about safety of hotel guests. AND apparently the vehicle has been abandoned in the hotel lot for over three weeks.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank suzitriminolone
Reviewed 31 August 2016 via mobile

I booked this place through Booking.com. It was rated 5,2.
At the arrival the structure looks old, discomforting, sad. When we checked in a girl came into the lobby asking to get the key to his brother's room, his brother is currently in jail, she explains, but he and his gang were staying there..
As soon as we got into the room we starting killing cockroaches, one climbed my leg, another huge one was in the shower. We were next door to the manager who heard us screaming and didn't move a finger. We immediately booked another place and left running. The place looked very unsafe apart from being too dirty and infested with bugs. When I gave back the key to the lady explaining why we were leaving she didn't apologize, nor offer to give us another room. She just took the key back and didn't refund us. We stayed in the room 30 min at most. I read other reviews on tripadvisor and hotels.com and they tell about awful experiences, in some cases worse than mine.
I'd rate it a 0.