“Local experience”

Delta Amusement Cafe
Ranked #29 of 46 Restaurants in Clarksdale
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 30 July 2015 via mobile

From the outside it may not seem like much but go in and experience the real authentic Clarksdale. The lady at Dee's Merchantile suggested this as a place to have a southern breakfast. I'm so grateful for her suggestion and glad I had such a neat experience here. This is the kind of friendly, authentic, real people place. This is the kind of place to get a non-touristy experience. Don't come here expecting Cracker Barrel. I ordered at the bar and wondered around looking for a seat. Poured my own coffee. The man behind the bar brought me my breakfast and a few minutes later he brought his own breakfast over and joined me....Turns out he was the owner and had been stationed in Lawton, Oklahoma about 25 years ago and attended Langston University before returning to Clarksdale to buy this place. Being from Tulsa (about 150 miles north and East of Lawton) I thought that was pretty cool. It was nice to have a local experience. The cook has been here since she was a little girl he told me. I enjoyed my southern breakfast and especially my grits. I hope to make it back here sometime, especially on a Sunday when they have live music and crawfish boils, BBQ's. It's located right by Ground Zero and the Delta Blues Museum

Reviewed 4 July 2015 via mobile

I've been in here multiple times, and have never been in here when there wasn't a dog running loose in the restaurant -- a dog!!! I just can't stress that point enough. How many health codes does that violate? And, that violation is visible to everyone. What health codes are being violated that are unseen? In addition, the food is marginal at best. It is prepackaged, frozen food that is microwaved when you order. If you are interested in good food in a clean restaurant, avoid this one. If you want Delta filth and packaged, frozen food, this may be your destination of choice.

1  Thank Angie G
Reviewed 30 June 2015

I admit I haven't visited Clarksdale since 2008. We were there twice and it is the exact type of place we always look for when travelling. I want to have a beer and/or breakfast with the locals. After all - if you are looking for a chain restaurant filled with other tourists, why would you ever leave home?

Our first trip was on our way to New Orleans for the 2008 BCS title game. Being from Ohio, and being in the heart of the SEC, we had the most enjoyable good-natured afternoon over a couple of beers with the locals. We also were entertained by a local character named Puddin'. "I'm a baaaaad man."

On our second trip, we came back to be the entertainment at a local Lodge St. Patrick's party. We made a point of hitting Delta Amusement for breakfast. The food was excellent, the price perfect, and the portions plentiful.

Reviewed 19 May 2015

We were starting our day early on our blues trail and this place is next door to the blues museum and opens early. Mostly locals coming in and out for coffee and hanging out. Extremely friendly people and cheap decent food. The typical eggs, bacon, grits, etc. I will say while the coffee was horrible, the pear preserves for the biscuits were divine. The were definitely homemade. The place is rundown and could use a good cleaning but it is welcoming.

Reviewed 4 May 2015

Has an authentic delta atmosphere - wouldn't come for a fine dining experience but was here for the Juke Joint festival and had a fun couple of hours here listening to the music.

1  Thank RonWamberal