“Not the same as it used to be”

Fox & Hounds Riseley
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Riseley
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Old World Steakhouse Pub & Restaurant located in the wonderful Bedfordshire village of Riseley, just 10 minutes from Bedford Town, Serving a large selection of Cask and Draught Ales, Beers and Stouts, a vast range of fine Wines & Spirits and Food which you will find hard to match anywhere. We at renowned for our Steaks, which we cook in front of you on the Grill in the Restaurant. Open for Lunch and Dinner 7 days a week. Booking is advisable. See links on our website to book. New Owners from Mid February 2018.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Firstly I was incredibly disappointed to see the menu has been reduced and no longer has half the vegetarian options it used to! Since it’s been under new management, we went and were told it would be an hour wait before our order would even be taken and the pub wasn’t even busy! We decided against it and went outside of the village instead which is a shame as we are within walking distance but I’d rather go somewhere with better service. It’s a real shame as we used to love going there.

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank NickiF468

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

We were passing by & stopped for lunch.

Having seen someone’s burger come out, we all decided to order one! This was the best decision ever! The burger was not just fully loaded but was made from steak mince & tasted like nothing I have have ever had before! The most amazing burger ever!

The place itself is set in a quaint village and in my opinion would be a destination for great food, drink and service!

The waiting staff were very pleasant and made our dining experience that much more pleasurable.

Definitely a hidden gem worth visiting!

1  Thank Armsc
Aidan C, Owner at Fox & Hounds Riseley, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2018

Hi Armsc,

Many thanks for your kind review. As you noticed, yes, all our burgers are homemade from real steak, which we think shows through in the taste! We are delighted you stopped by and hopefully we might see you again soon. Thanks again for your kind review, I will be sure to pass your comments to the team on site.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

A Great Country Pub with friendly and professional staff. I have tried pretty much everything on the menu and it never disappoints. Keep up the good work :)

Thanks Stephen,

We are delighted you are enjoying your visits. Your review is much appreciated and I will pass your comments on to the guys on site!!

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

Had a great family meal and was not disappointed service was good and food was great
Will return again

Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

We had to pre order. That wasn't served correctly the pork belly meal was all deep fried. Chicken wings and dip was only eaten as hungry due to the fact we had waited so long for our food. Child Cod and chips was most likely Booker fish fingers not what we ordered. The Siloin steak served was cold cut to thin to serve the sold weight. Rump steak tuff. I would think most of the steaks are coming out of 30 month cattle which can be lovely but not fine dinning and you can't get small steaks from big cattle (I'm a farmer and In the meat business).
The gents toilets were filthy and needed a good clean.
When we complained it was hard work for them to offer any better offer than excuses about having new staff and the kitchen being done.
We have driven 2.5 hours for a Birthday meal and we wont ever return.

1  Thank Ruraldoc1975
Aidan C, Owner at Fox & Hounds Riseley, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2018

Dear Ruraldoc1975,

I have read your review with extreme disappointment and I am currently in discussion with the Team on site to ascertain what the issues were with your meal. I will respond further upon completion, as I am extremely concerned with the alleged issues highlighted. My apologies in the interim, as I say, this will be investigated fully and I will be in touch shortly again. I can assure you, however, that we do not stock ANY frozen meats or fish, nor are any of our products deep fried. The Pork Belly is all freshly cooked to order in ovens, all of our fish products, regardless of portion size are freshly cut and battered and are from a very reputable fish monger, delivered on a daily basis. So too is our meat, all delivered from well renowned butcher, in particular the beef products which come from either London or Dublin, depending upon the cut. The excuse about the kitchen equipment is in fact all very true, although it won't be of benefit to yourself, as there is a huge refit being carried out after service tonight and we are closed until Tuesday evening in order for the installation(s) to take place. Again, my apologies for the ordeal you seem to have endured. It will be investigated further and I will respond to you personally upon completion. I trust this will suffice in the interim?