US$125
US$85
  • Restaurant
US$121
US$69
All reviewsconcierge roomlight evening mealplace to stayroom was cleanwaffleshockey tournamentindoor poolcontinental breakfastenjoyed our staya great stayreclinerminnesotalakesinkfridgemotelhousekeeping
Reviewed 5 June 2018

The location is pleasantly close to fresh air of Lake of the Woods and farmland. There is easy access to grocery and gift stores. It is also close to a pleasant farm country road-trip, boating or fishing on Lake of the Woods, Canada, and even casinos. The establishment has clean and comfortable accommodations, complimentary breakfast, and a bar. Each guest receives some complimentary beverages per night stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent. There is an abundance of ground-level rooms for guests with mobility issues.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
MinnesotaMitch, Owner at North Country Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2018

Thank You Guillermo for taking the time to leave us a review! We appreciate your business and happy that you enjoyed your stay. Safe Travels! Julie Parker, Manager!

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

Minnesota’s best kept secret! The staff and owner of this quaint motel go above and beyond to ensure a great stay. Every member of their team is incredibly friendly and accommodating. The new concierge room is warm and inviting. Complimentary hot breakfasts and dinners along with free adult beverages adds to this already great value and quality stay. The rooms are impeccably clean and have a variety of amenities for every need and taste. If your in the area, do your self a favour......avoid the rest and stay with the best. We won’t be staying anywhere else in the beautiful state of Minnesota.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
MinnesotaMitch, Manager at North Country Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Wow, thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are so glad that you chose to stay with us in Roseau. We do strive to make sure our guests have a great experience and we are so happy that you did. Maybe you will come back and golf this summer!! Thank you again, Safe Travels! Julie Parker, Manager

Reviewed 12 February 2018

First I'll highlight a couple of good things:
We received unexpected tickets for drinks and a light entrée, which we were not expecting and which was a nice touch after so many hours on the road to arrive. I also REALLY appreciated the gazebo in the back, since temperatures were below zero much of the time. The grounds are nice and the rooms were clean. The breakfast offerings were great, and there were lots of very nice areas for socializing. Coffee was always available in the lobby, as well as some other beverage options.

The bad:
The TV reception in our room was terrible the first night, so we headed down to the concierge room looking for a good place to watch the Wild game. To our delight, no one else was in the room, so we changed the channel to the game, and the picture on that TV was great. The host for the room, whose name I do not know but who had purple hair, returned to the room and expressed her disappointment at us changing the channel because "I don't have TV at home and this is the only time I can watch it." I do not believe it is appropriate or good customer service for an employee on the clock to trump a customer on what is playing on the TV. We felt obligated to change the channel back to what she was watching.

Second- housekeeping woke us up, banging loudly on our door at 8:00 am and yelling through the door. We were staying an additional night, and did not appreciate being rudely awoken at 8. We listened to her continue down the hall, banging and yelling until she had woken the entire floor. I suggest waiting until check out time to start banging on doors at the very least. Because housekeeping was only offered at eight am when we were not prepared or happy about it, I had to find time later to go hunt down some additional coffee packets. Our room only came stocked with enough for one cup of coffee.

My in-laws were also staying at the hotel, and encountered some trouble with their thermostat. When they asked the front desk for help, they were told there was no one who could fix anything there. They slept with extra blankets and their jackets on, because they had no heat. The owner did come and fix it the next day, for which we were very grateful, but I believe they should have been offered another room, or at least a discount or comp for their first freezing night.

On our second night, our TV did not work at all. We did not complain since it was late and we were in bed, it was annoying and inconvenient. My husband did mention it to the front desk in the morning. The staff offered to come and look at it, but since we were checking out in an hour we declined as we were busy trying to get ready to go.

There is also no elevator for second floor access so suitcases etc need to be lugged up and down the stairs. Anyone with physical limitations making that difficult would want to request a lower level room.

And as mentioned in other reviews- the ice machine on the second floor is broken.

The most important part- that we had a clean place to sleep was good, but there are some things that left something to be desired.

Thank you.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
MinnesotaMitch, Manager at North Country Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We do appreciate your time and your insight. We have recently upgraded our cable tv service and are still working through some problems. It is the first of its kind in our area so the cable company is working with us to learn how to correct the problems. We do our best to make sure that our guests have a great experience. Our housekeeping staff does start at 8am. Usually this is not a problem. We do start later on weekends as more people sleep in during those times. We could have provided you a 1st level room and I'm not sure if our desk clerk offered this option to you or not. It is best if we know about the problems then we can fix them to make sure your experience with us is the best it can be. I am very sorry that your visit was not what it could be and I will make sure we work on these issues. Thank you again for staying with us. Safe Travels. Julie Parker, Manager

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

The staff was great! Obvious they knew what they were doing! Beyond that, there was very little to be impressed by. The hotel is located on a frontage road just off the main highway as you come into town. The first things you notice was that it resembles a major hotel chain in appearance, even the name. But unfortunately that’s as far as it goes. Was checked in, got my keys, or plastic punched out card thingy to get in the room, and made my way up the stairs with the worn and slightly broken banister. Opened the door with this mechanical lock-set contraption and entered to a nice big whiff of dampness. Furnishings were adequate, bedding ok, and a nice size. Opened the curtains to find the window sill to be wet and slimy from years of condensation and moisture. The glass was pretty much frosted over, but did give you a slight view of the trailer park across the road. Whatever, I’ve stayed in worse. Proceeded to take my son to the pool area to hang out with his teammates and some of the other parents. The pool was small and smelled of being highly chlorinated. I’ve got a little experience with maintaining a commercial pool and have developed a sense of identifying when there are some issues. Apparently, the perimeter drains in the pool area have quit working a while ago and every time someone gets out or makes a splash the floor floods with water. By the third day (tournament weekend), the water in the pool area was ankle deep at its worst. Another interesting story from this hotel was my sons personal pillow was left on his bed after the first night, when we returned, we found a note from housekeeping that read. “We apologize, but were unable to make your bed as we have a policy that doesn’t allow us to move personal items.” What? I guess I trusted your housekeeping, don’t you? I’ve never heard of anything as preposterous as that. With the number of hotel rooms in this area, choice is very limited. Just remember, don’t disrupt the mold growing in the windows, bring your eye-drops for after swimming, and don’t question why you’re paying more for this room than you do for a four-star hotel. If you can do all that, you will have a great stay.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
MinnesotaMitch, Manager at North Country Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2018

Thank you Dewey for taking the time to leave us a review. In this industry there is always room for improvement and upgrades to be made. Yes, our key system is a little dated but I do like the fact that they are mechanical because they do not loose programing like some of the modern keys. Last week our state inspector came in to check the pool. The state requires a daily log sheet with all chemical readings which is done by our night auditor. We passed the pool inspection without incident. It was brought to my attention that while filling the hot tub with water our employee did not turn the water off soon enough and it did overflow. This could be the reason for the extra water on the floor. I have had our maintenance department check and clean all drains to assure they are working properly. Condensation does tend to appear on the windows especially during busy hockey weekends when lots of showers are being taken. We are looking into a better ventilation system to solve this problem. I have also had maintenance look over the banister for problems and it is fine. No missing spindles. I would be more than happy to speak with you on any other issues or concerns that you may have. We appreciate your business and your feedback. Thank you for staying with us. Julie Parker, Manager

Reviewed 22 January 2018

The room was ok but there was no television service and the 2nd floor ice machine did not work
When we informrd them of the problems, they sort of blew it off with not rate adjustment for the lack of television service

Room Tip: Stay on the 1st floor as there is no elevator service to the 2nd floor
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
MinnesotaMitch, Manager at North Country Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2018

Thank you Joe for taking the time to leave us a review. I remember the problem with your tv. I did try changing the cable and unplugging the box to reset the system. I did offer to give you compensation for the problem if it did not get resolved. I have done so this morning. We contacted the cable company and they sent someone to help us resolve the issue. There is always room for improvement and we appreciate your view and opinion. Thank you again. Julie Parker, Manager