“What happened?”

Shield's Restaurant Bar Pizza
Ranked #14 of 227 Restaurants in Southfield
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

I've been coming here since I was a child. Since Buddy's became sort of a "cookie cutter" franchise, the main place to get some official Detroit deep dish pizza was Shields. Haven't been here in about 2 years, but this place must have taken a turn for the worse. I get the same thing every time. The Pepperoni Prize with extra cheese, to go. Service was good as normal, ribs I ordered were good as always. But when I got home and looked in the box? The worse pizza I've ever ordered (including the "Pizza Pizza" variety). Not only was there hardly any cheese, and limited pepperoni, but hardly any sauce either! We live all the way in West Bloomfield, so there was no way i was driving all the way back. We had 3 slices...and had to toss it. And I NEVER throw food away. EVER. But this was just horrible. No flavor, super chewy and extra DRY. It seems like it was almost a joke. I'm not sure if the chef was having a bad day? Or was it something I said when I ordered? But this was down right offensive that they would let a product like this leave that Kitchen and expect someone to pay for it, let alone actually eat it. I'm afraid perhaps the demand for quality has left the customer base? As there is no way this place will stay open long serving up stuff like this when they are known for having some of the BEST. Sorry Southfield, another one of the great classic Pizza joints is nothing but a shell of it's formal self. Guess I'm stuck with these suburban Buddy's locations. Because even they would never stoop this low and let something that looks anything like this to leave their kitchen. Sad day. Purchased on Friday August 25th 2018 around 6:45pm.

Reviewed 19 August 2018

Wow! This was a great place to eat - our server was very friendly and knowledgeable. The pizzas were huge and tasted great! Options for kids and adults. I can see why their pizza has earned a few awards in the past!

Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

Excellent food & excellent service. Great pizza. Great Lasagna. Excellent Ribs. Would rate 5 stars except employees go out by the door to smoke and you have to walk through all the cigarette smell going in & out. I thought you had to be 50 feet from the door to smoke. Oh well, hold your breath going in & out and enjoy the food!

1  Thank BobHerriman
Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

We visited last week while at a family reunion in Detroit. Our hotel was near this restaurant. The pizza and wings were very good. We went two nights in a row.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

We went for dinner here after a very long drive out and we were not disappointed. We started with the Apple Cidre which was very strong. I got the small size (which was about a pint in my opinion) and my husband could not finish his. I ordered the Bab’s strawberry spinach salad. You can have it with chicken but it didn’t opt for that. The salad was very fresh with mushrooms, fresh strawberries, chopped walnuts, Rochefort cheese (blue cheese) and leafy spinach. Their serving was huge. I gave half to my husband. He ordered the Shield’s sliders: three angus beef cheeseburgers with grilled onions. They were delicious. We ordered a small personal cheese pizza to go which my son said was very tasty (deep dish crust). So much food, all fresh and tasty and reasonably priced.

Date of visit: June 2018