“Nice locations and building but the food was average”

Freighters Eatery & Taproom
Reserve with OpenTable
Freighters Eatery & Taproom is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 97 Restaurants in Port Huron
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Barbecue, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Freighters is a culinary destination situated on the St. Clair River, overlooking the serene Blue Water Bridge, giving each guest a truly unique dining experience. Freighters' Dine-In and Banquet Menus feature locally sourced menu options, which are specially created by our Corporate Executive Chef. Freighters is owned and operated by Meritage Hospitality Group, headquartered in Grand Rapids, Michigan. All Meritage restaurants invest in the growth and sustainability of this great state. Our Chef and Culinary Team work with local farmers, vendors and suppliers to provide the freshest, most flavorful menu options to our guests, while also supporting our local economy.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had dinner here on a Friday night before crossing over into Canada for a drive to NY. Nice location but really disappointed with the food and service. It took over an hour and a half for our dinner (in total). My salad was small and the items advertised (chicken, pecans, cheese) were very sparse. The mac and cheese arrived cold and was tasteless. The burger my husband had was average.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

NIce and open with great views of the river, bridge and freighters. We were there for lunch - already out of clam chowder - but we could all find dishes that sounded good and they were. Waitress was off her game - had to go to bar and request water after asking 2 times, one dish from our order didn't come out with others - brought a burger instead - never asked for that one. Manager did come and apologize for the mistakes and deducted from the bill. The rest of the staff were very helpful...

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Have eaten there several times and was always pleased. Their steaks are fantastic!Will always go back.the vie is decent.wait staff is very good.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very overpriced. We had 10 people but only 3 checks we told them in advance. I didn't notice until after I was charged for a drink I didn't get. I wanted a mojito but they didn't have fresh mint so I said no but they charged me anyway. Someone else's ice cream got on our tab. I learned a hard lesson to look at the bill. Food very overpriced -everything was ala carte INCLUDING bread. My husbands salmon as 18.99 - mashed potatoes were the worst ever - dry and cold. Salmon was overcooked. Charged us 4.99 for a salad. My meal was a salad with grilled chicken. Chicken was super tough and overcooked. Someone else at our table ordered a burger very well done and it was raw in the middle not even pink. Would not recommend this place even though the view was nice.

MeritageHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Freighters Eatery & Taproom, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Denise,

We apologize for your poor experience at our restaurant. We strive to serve every guest with Uncommon Hospitality and Impeccable Food & Drinks. We missed that with your visit. We'd like to thank you for sending in a review. This will help our team know what we need to work on and help fix our mistakes.

Our General Manager, Dale, would love a chance to speak with you about your experience. If you're interested, please reply to letusknow@mhgi.net with your preferred method of contact and he will reach out to you directly.

Thank you and have a great day.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We came in on a Friday around 6 or 7. Wasn't too crowded. It's a great place to watch the river. The food is just bizarre though. I've been here a number of times and if it weren't for the view, I wouldn't come back.

Just to make it short. My wife was going to get a salad, but they are all very odd. Either with dried fruit or cherries or other things that just don't sound good. I had had the bourbon maple burger. Thank goodness I got the sauce on the side because it was basically maple syrup. I would not have wanted that on my burger! Burger was good though. My kid got the mac 'n' cheese. He's 4. He doesn't eat adult mac 'n' cheese. When will restaurants understand this. Just give me a lousy $1 box of Kraft and charge me $5! We swapped it out for a quesadilla which was fine. Carrots were good with it.

I've had the fish tacos in the past and there was too much stuff on them and not enough fish. The pulled pork nachos were not very good.

I REALLY want to like this place.

MeritageHospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Freighters Eatery & Taproom, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Brian,
Thanks for letting us know about this experience. We will make sure our General Manager, Dale, reaches out to you as soon as possible. If you would, please reply to letusknow@mhgi.net with your preferred method of contact. Thank you and have a great day.