“Martinet by name and by nature ”
Review of Le Martinet

Le Martinet
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Bouin
Price range: US$20 - US$44
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

We booked via Groupon for a stay in the hotel including a meal in this restaurant. The hotel is nice clean and friendly but the restaurant is a whole other story......we have literally just walked out! From the moment we arrived the Madame seemed to have an issue we couldn't put our finger on. She was short and impatient but heyho. However when we ordered a bottle of meursault which wasn't sufficiently cold things very quickly went downhill. My starter of 9 oysters came as 8 with no butter for the bread nor vinaigrette the latter two were provided with a huff but nothing re the missing oyster. When eventually she returned I asked about the missing oyster and returned the clearly previously used butter only to be told the knife marks were made as the butter was put in the dish strangely I suppose so was the breadcrumbs! My oyster arrived on a separate dish and with it Madame touched not once but twice every oyster on my plate counting them as I obviously wished to con her put on a oyster and wait 20 mins to do so. The shock on my face was obvious and when challenged in good french she claimed not to have touched them and only counted them, across me twice and if I had a problem I should leave...well we did and will never go back and I advise anyone who doesn't like being treated this way to avoid. We were polite spoke in french throughout and had upgraded our menus from the included menu de jour. We left two expensive bottles of wine on the table and now have no dinner on a Monday night in rural france but this level of rudeness should not have to be borne by anyone.

Reviewed 1 September 2017

Went here for an evening meal. Booked a place in the restaurant but we were given a table in a side room next to a toilet one end and the smoking area for the kitchen staff the other and if you were lucky a porter would carry the rubbish past. We were fairly ignored most of the evening and although the food was quite good the atmosphere ruined an expensive evening. The following evening we found a really good restaurant 10 mins walk away.

Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

We were staying in the chambres de hotes across the road and this was a pleasant surprise. We both had the 18 euro fixed price menu, and all the dishes in the 3 courses were delicious and beautifully presented. Service was friendly and efficient and the ambience was good. Would definitely recommend this restaurant if you are in the area.

Reviewed 14 October 2016

We had the fixed menu, & had a very fine meal at a very reasonable price. Wines were not expensive, with a good range from mid to high quality. Service was 1st class by the 2 professional people on the floor. Decor was very 'farmhouse', in a very good way. garden dining in season.

Reviewed 23 September 2016

Lovely dinner here, we were staying at adjacent hotel. Excellent service, hands shaken on arrival by lady I assume is owner. She was here when we visited last year. Good value set meal given high quality in lovely setting..my wife and I both had set meal at 29 euros, prawn starter, lovely beef with rice and curry - odd combination but it worked.i had cheese (small portion) and my wife had a nice caramel sweet. Nice wine list and amuse Bouche. Full of locals which is a good sign. Very pleasant evening.