“A family meal.....”

Ranked #5 of 16 Restaurants in Martel
Price range: US$21 - US$32
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Typical local food ( foie gras, confit, cassoulet...) And selection of wines from Cahors . Charming atmosphere in the old Martel
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

We visited this restaurant in the evening after having it recommended. The restaurant itself is a really nice setting and has a lovely delicatessen shop too.
We really enjoyed the evening and the vibe in the restaurant but found it to be overpriced. The restaurant specialises in duck dishes but also serves a great beef steak. I chose the cassoulet based on a previous review. I don't echo the same rave review. It wasn't served warm enough but to be fair when this was pointed out the staff soon rectified the issue. Some of the family chose the duck confit and the duck breast and were happy with their choices. My Dad chose the beef and was very complementary on its flavour and cooking.
The staff working in the restaurant were charming. The service though was quite slow.
I'm glad we tried the restaurant and we did have a pleasant evening but I'm not sure we'd be rushing back next time we're in Martel.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

My mum, dad, brother and I came across this lovely restaurant last night. We sat on one of the pretty outside tables with our dog. The service was really good, the food was fantastic, the drinks were all delicious and refreshing. We couldn't fault anything. You definitely pay for what you get, the portions were filling and the cassoulet was the best I've ever had in France! Being an English family also the staff were very good work the language barrier and were happy to explains things the best they could! Also I would recommend the desserts they are beautiful!!! We could eat here again definitely!! Thank you for a lovely meal!!!

Reviewed 24 July 2017

This restaurant was one of three that we had chosen for lunch in the tourist town of Martel. However, this is not Sarlat where a good tourist menu can be had for 15 euros. At 23.50 for two courses it was the cheapest of the three on our list. The chalk menu board showed Agneau (lamb) but this translated into pork when they brought the English menu. The owner assured me it was lamb shank !! Somehow it tasted of neither pork or lamb but it was tender and tasted fine.....whatever it was! My wife had the duck confit which was very good. The accompanying potatoes were excellent. The chocolate 'violent' was delicious. All in all the restaurant was fine. The service was good and it is in a great location adjacent to the market square. Would we rush back; probably not to the restaurant but the deli shop is certainly worth a second look.

Balthazar46, Propriétaire at Au Hasard Balthazar, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Thanks for your comment, there must be a mistake somewhere as we don't have pork or lamb in our restaurant, as meet we only have duck or beef on the menu. We hope to see you again in the shop.
Regards

Reviewed 14 March 2017

The restaurant building is very interesting and exciting with beams and stone, but modern as well. Staff very friendly and helpful. Food superb, especially all the local delicacies, in particular foie gras. The shop below, which is there entrance hall, is full of delicious delicacies, and carefully selected wines and local aperitifs and spirits, that its very hard to avoid buying something that you know will delight you. A special place.

Reviewed 10 October 2016

My wife and I were visiting Martel and looking for restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary and honeymoon in Martel. We found this restaurant around the back of the square in Martel. Lovely food, wine and staff. We also bought some of their own produce from the shop below. We will return when we are in the area again.

Been to Au Hasard Balthazar? Share your experiences!