All reviews whale watching room was clean pigeon island two nights whales boat
Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

- staff were friendly
- five minute walk up the beach to restaurants
- out of season so i didn't eat here and my dorm had only myself in it
- I went whale watching which was really good
- even though it was out of season I still had a nice time and the staff were friendly
- rooms were clean, bathroom clean and well maintained garden area
- be careful walking down the beach alone at night
- overall pleasant two night stay, the beaches aren't so clean however for two nights whale watching/pigeon island and chilling I had a nice time, also nice to watch the fishermen bring on their catch in a morning

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

I arrived to no electricity which was totally unavoidable by the property owner, we sat in the dark and negotiated a price, still paid far more then I needed too. Eventually the power came on, dorm had good lockers for bags but he AC was unplugged and the sheets were scratchy, dirty and not clean. Bathrooms had no toilet tissue (BYO). The wifi didn’t work, I spoke with the manger/owner and he magically made it work, but as soon as he left the office the wifi died.....magic controlling powers. I spoke with him and asked if he understood how unpleasant the situation with the wifi was, constantly asking for bathroom paper, having his young boy unplug the AC in our room twice and the general vibe of the hostel and he just ignored me. DO NOT STAY HERE NO MATTER WHAT! I asked “do you understand that one of your customers is unhappy?” And he said “I understand” and just walked away. Disgusting

2  Thank 325mattw
Reviewed 23 October 2017

I've never felt less welcomed as I did in this place. Staff kept turning off the wifi all the time and pretending nothing happened. I saw it was off, they kept saying it was on with this fake and dishonest attitude so I just pressed the button. So disrespectful towards the guests. They even ignored me when I spoke to him, just passing and closing his eyes as if I wasn't talking to him. They acted like we were idiot and kept playing this game. No lights on at night, they kept switching off and the place just looked so desert and abandoned. We had to pay extra for the AC and it was included on the reservation. Bed sheets were dirty and they reused after other guests checked out. They complained to provide us toilet paper. Toilets were dirty and no maintenance. They throw all the garbage just in the land next to the beach. Horrible For them, it seemed we were not paying anything and they were doing us a favor. Felt really disappointed because the structure of the hotel is good and they could make a nice place out of it. I even had to watch some husband and wife's fight, supposedly they are the owners. What a terrible experience... don't even book this place. No hospitality and respect with the guests. :(

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Bárbara A
Reviewed 5 October 2017

We reserved 3 dorm beds on booking.com at a price of around $7 per bed. On arrival I showed the man at reception my booking email, pointing to the price and asked if this was the correct price. He said yes. I asked if it had air con, he said yes. We asked to see the room and saw no air con. Luckily we had a Sri Lankan driver who communicated with the staff. After some discussion he told us the price was more like $10 per bed and that the price on booking.com was wrong. A heated discussion then ensued as we were outraged that a) they would increase the price from what was stated online, b) the man agreed the price was correct when I showed him my booking email and c) they had made no effort to contact me in the 2 days between reserving and arriving.
The then offered us a private air con room for a 'cheap price' which we agreed to as we didn't want to have to traipse round town looking for another guest house. We realise now that this was because they didn't have to pay commission to booking.com if we cancelled the reservation and they could make more money off a private room. In addition to this we had some other issues:
2 male staff members knocking on our door in a heated argument about cancelling the reservation (I could not do this without being charged-we are also 3 lone female travellers)
No bed covers, just sheets
The single bed has black hairs all over it
Dodgy water supply which would run out
A creepy male chef who would stare at us when eating, chilling out, sunbathing and asked us to drink with him on the beach
A rat in our bedroom
A power cut which meant no air con, wifi, lights etc. Luckily we were just about to leave so this did not affect us too much.
Money went missing from our room which we cannot say for sure if it was lost or stolen, but it is quite suspect.
Altogether we are extremely disappointed with this accommodation and would not recommend to anyone!
However, they did cook us a delicious swordfish which was fresh straight from the ocean for our last meal, and it was a fantastic location for the beach. They also have a gorgeous dog named Priya who protected us from the cows on the beach and looked after our stuff.

Room tip: Barter hard for your room. They really crank up the price for foreigners.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank LilyPeachRobinson
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

I've never been to such a great place in sri lanka! Tje staff is extremly helpfull. They speak good english and explain you the busses,trips or reccomend you good restaurants. It was extraordinarily clean! Very nice rooms and a yummi breakfast. Directly on the beach! Thank you for the wonderful time!

Date of stay: July 2017