All reviews bush chalet outdoor shower other camps room was large game viewing two nights nice camp animal sightings last stop watch the sunset camping area watering hole stayed one night inside etosha self drive nice pool etosha pan
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Open fences, bad maintenance, unfriendly staff, cold showers and expensive rates. Can't believe this happenes in the past 6 years since we were there. Next time we will stay outside the park at onguma lodge.
Wildlife is excellent!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank sophiasonell
Reviewed 23 July 2017

Convenient location for entering Etosha National Park. Interesting place as it is built around the old German fort from the 19th century. Good viewing platform for game viewing, especially elephants. Saw lions, and a surprising number and diversity of bird life. Be careful if using the outdoor shower area. The door locked behind us, leaving us locked outside and in a 'compromising state'. The lock was faulty but I have no way of knowing if it had been reported previously. Posted post cards airmail mail from here to Australia, and didn't feel confident the staff understood what I was looking for. Four weeks later none of the post cards have arrived at their destination. Overall OK and would stay there again due to the location in the national park, but will have lower expectations next time.

Room Tip: Excellent location as a step off into Etosha National Park.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2017

Stayed at Namutoni for camping for about 20 days split over 6 visits between 2003 and 2016, mostly in September.
Namutoni is mananged by the organisation Namibia Wildlife Resorts but I have never booked directly at them. They have a reputation of being a bit bureaucratic and I therefore always use a local agent in Windhoek to doo all the bookings.
Checking in might mean joining the cue, depending on the time that you arrive. I have always entered Etosha at Andersons Gate near Okaukuejo and pay my park fee there, so here I only had to check in for my campsite.
You will leave the reception with a map of the grounds and will be assigned a specific campsite when you enter the camping area. Simply look for a guy tending the grounds and ask him for a quiet spot. The Namutoni camping area is a lot greener than Okaukuejo and Halali, with a lot of big and shady trees. so you can actually expect to have some shade here. The grass is well watered and there is hardly any dust.
Showers are usually warm at the end of the afternoon immediately after closing time of the gates. If you are late, you will end up with a more or less warm shower. This can actually be not so bad after a boiling hot and sweaty day in your car. Every five years or so they seem to renovate the place a bit and people tell here that they are busy again nowadays.
The waterhole at Namutoni is almost completely surrounded by very high reeds and the amount of wildlife that you will see here is a lot lower than Okaukuejo and Halali. You might be lucky, but don't count on too much.
Okaukuejo is famous for its waterhole that is lit by three lights in the evening and night and you have to see and believe how many animals show up in the dry season!
The shop can be quite unpredictable, don't always count on finding a well balanced meal here, you have to be a bit lucky here. I always eat at the restaurant, so can't tell anything about the quality of thec goods in the shop.
Non-food items are better stocked, don't forget to buy a recent map of the park here!
You will be able to use your mobile here, even around the resort outside the gates, as long as you don't go too far. I have never checked the max distance by the way.
Last year September they were busy setting up wifi and I have understood that nowadays it is actually usable, although can be slow when a lot of people have to share it at the same time.
The fortress used to have two restaurants and a large open area in the middle that resulted in a perfect spot to have your dinner in the dark, lighted only by a large campfire and animal sounds in the distance. I loved it!
Unfortunately, this is not the case anymore, nowadays there is only one restaurant in a seperate building and I have been told that they had to change things this way because of the overload of visitors in recent years.
This restaurant serves a bufet for breakfast, lunch and dinner and I have always considered this as good with in fact as much as you can eat. Arrive early and there will be a lot of different vegetables, fruit salades and normally two types of meat, including game like gemsbok, springbok, eland and kudu. Luchtime can be quite busy because of all the day visitors from the lodges outside the park, be early!
If it is about the staff, then I have to disagree with most of the reviews here. I guess that a negative encounter will be reported more often than a positive, so be carefull with any statistics here.
I have always noticed that showing a happy face, have a bit of a chat and show your enthousiasm can be a big help in interacting with them. It is not a five star resort and is by no means anything like the resorts outside the park where you can expect to be pampered, but only after paying a lot of money.
Don't expect too much and be there for the animals, not for any luxury. I have seen a lot over the years, only last year was quit, but that was caused by El Nino.
In fact, there is a strong possibility that I will be back next year, because Etosha is totally addictive!

Room Tip: A lot greener and less dusty compared to Okaukuejo and Halali
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
3  Thank TonEtosha
Reviewed 8 July 2017

Visited Etosha in the first week of June 2017 and spend one night camping at each of the main rest camps. The first was Namutoni. We did book campsites a week before in Windhoek and just had to pay the conservation fees for the three days.

Service was great at the reception and we were told to drive towards the camping area and someone will allocate us a site. After arriving at the camping area there were no one to show us our site and we picked one underneath a big tree.
Shade is not a really problem after all we spend the whole day driving searching for animals but it did help in some way to prevent dew on our tents.

We were three guys, each sleeping in their own tents. Two tents needed to be pegged into the ground and that was easy, the third is a bow tent and did not need to be pegged down. Ablution was clean and hot water shower at night was great regardless of two full Overland trucks. The camp site had a working electrical power point with an additional light attached close to the braai area. The water tap was close-by. After 21:00 at night the camp was very quiet.

There is a water hole next to the camp fence that was lid by night but did not visit it. The camping area was not completely full and the majority of visitors were foreigners with rental 4x4 vehicles with roof top tents.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2017

I would love to tell you about this resort. We planned our entire Namibia vacation around staying on the west side of Etosha, driving through Etosha and staying on the east side. But at 4:45 pm the night we were meant to leave for Namutoni, I received an email saying they had cancelled my reservation.

Why did they cancel, you ask? Well, they require payment in advance. They do not accept credit cards. The only way an American can pay is to do a bank transfer. I completed this bank transfer through the link (their chosen vendor) they provided even though it required me to provide all of my bank information. Unfortunately, they had 3 public holidays in 10 business days. Which meant that they did not actually receive my funds (even though my bank statement showed them being deducted, and I submitted that as proof of payment) within their set time period. They did not tell me ahead of time that they would cancel, so we were stranded in Namibia and had to spend a half day of our trip arranging for new accommodations and rerouting our entire trip rather than enjoying the animals. Even though my previous hotel called ahead of time and arranged for me to speak with someone in the office, somehow in the 15 minutes between 4:45 and 5pm in OFF SEASON they filled our room.

After this happened, we were able to make accommodations at the hotel we'd stayed at the night before (at GREAT cost to us in both money and time), and when we got back to our hotel they told us this actually happens ALL the time. They said they didn't want dissuade us the night before, but they get so many complaints from people who try to have a cheaper vacation and then stay with them that if people understood what they were getting they would never book in park accommodations.

It's really sad, because I'd love to be able to stay in park, but I paid ahead of time from my bank account (not a credit card), arranged my entire trip around this, and they screwed me. That's enough for me to recommend that NOBODY else do this.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends