“Should be Better”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

An unfortunate experience for breakfast today at Anna’s. The meals were cold and appeared unappetizing. We asked to have them warmed but still the plates returned on the cool side. My sweet potato waffle was burned and rather dry and my friends omlet was lacking filling. The service was poor and so it will be a while before I return.

1  Thank Anatta2212
Annas H, Guest Relations Manager at Anna's House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2018

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. Please know it is never our intention to serve you cold food. It's our duty to provide you with fresh, high-quality dishes. We are passing along your comments to our GM to ensure this never happens again. We appreciate your comments and hope you'll give us another try. Thank you!

Reviewed 24 June 2018

I met some friends at Anna's House recently and I am already planning to return with my husband. We enjoyed attentive service, wide variety menu, delicious meals, and coffee refills. The breakfast burrito was absolutely delicious! It came with sour cream, salsa, and guacamole. The portions are very large. Two of us took half of our order home. Over all, we had a wonderful experience.

1  Thank Kathy K

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

We had a great breakfast, the portions are just right. I order the California omellete it had bacon and avocado inside and it was great, I also order a separate order of hash browns yummy. I had leftovers to take home! The place is super clean and the service is great.We will return.

1  Thank Mahritzah

Hi Mahritzah,

Thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

I have contemplated not writing a review, but weeks later I can’t stop thinking about my meal. Our service was adequate, had the food been good it wouldn’t have been worthy of a review one way or the other.
We live very close to Anna’s and had never made it in because of the people always waiting outside and the impracticality of waiting for breakfast with children after church service. We finally made it and apparently at a sweet spot and had no wait. :) The interior was clean, hostess staff were friendly, the decor was cute/interesting, we were seated right away and everything was off to a great start.
The menu is extensive with lots of options, it took me a few minutes to decide between several dishes. I finally decided on huevos rancheros as it is one of my all time favorites, I did have a substitution as I didn’t want the carnitas meat, preferring bacon on the side instead. Once we placed our order the food took quite a bit longer than expected for breakfast, it would have been long for lunch honestly, but the kids were being good and there was coffee so it wasn’t a big deal. My husband ordered the eggs Benedict and the kids (2) had the kiddie combos. Our food finally came out and...
Huevos rancheros were NOT huevos rancheros, they came as deconstructed, build your own tacos...with over easy eggs, complete with the corn tortillas warmed and in a tortilla warmer. And, if that wasn’t off putting enough (seriously how do you make a taco with over easy eggs?) nothing was warm except for the tortillas. The refried beans were a pile of room temperature unseasoned beans, the yolks of my eggs were cold (I don’t even know how this is possible) and the ranchero sauce was on the side and freezing cold (like it was just taken out of the refrigerator) and once added to the plate of room temperature to mildly cold food everything was obviously much colder and honestly unappealing. Even if they had called this dish carnitas with eggs and beans on the side, it would have been terrible based on how it came out of the kitchen cold.
If you read this review and still go to Anna’s, please just don’t get huevos rancheros, because that’s not what you’ll get.
Side note: I never eat sweet breakfasts, but thought maybe they were known for pancakes instead so I tried the kids and they were not great either, they were very tough, when I cut them for the kids (I had to use a knife).
Bottom line is I was incredibly disappointed. The restaurant will say, “please let your server know if you are dissatisfied”, but really, after you wait that long for your meal for it to be bad, who really wants to prolong the experience.
We are so fortunate to have several amazing small breakfast restaurants in Kalamazoo, I advise going to one of them instead.

1  Thank Audrey M

Hello Audrey,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. As much as you were conflicted to write a review, we're really happy you did. When issues like this arise, we like to get to the bottom of what happened, so we can further improve and become your favorite breakfast place, sweet entrees or not. Our goal is to provide fresh, high-quality dishes, so when we read this, we were devastated. The reason you normally see the line outside of our restaurant is because of our attention to detail in making every experience a happy one. Our owner, Josh Beckett, likes to say we're a one-hour vacation. With that being said, we can recognize when we make a mistake. We apologize for any inconvenience or displeasure this experience may have caused you.

We feel terrible, but we want you to know we're planning on improving from this experience. Every week, we look at all of our reviews, talk as a team, and come up with solutions, so these issues never happen again. We will be highlighting many comments from your review to present to our team, and we will brainstorm on ways to improve. Until then, we want to offer our sincerest apologies and try to make it right. We would love for you to come in again and try whatever you'd like on the menu, on us. Please message us for more details if this is something you're interested in. We hear you. We understand your frustrations, and we will make improvements. Thank you again!

Reviewed 21 May 2018

I normally don't write reviews of my local restaurants but I thought this deserved it.

PROS: Good variety on the menu, restaurant seemed clean, staff was very friendly.

CONS: Pretty much everything else. The service was very slow. I was hopeful for good food based on the menu and descriptions. So you know it's not just me, while we were here for lunch, the table behind us sent their food back and wouldn't re-order, the table next to us complained about horrible service and the person paying when we left was being apologized to by two different workers for how poor their experience was.

I ordered a reuben which is an $11 sandwich. I wish I would've taken a picture of the sandwich because it had so little meat, sauerkraut or sauce on it, it was ridiculous. I really should've sent it back but I hate doing that and we waited a long time for our food. Plus, you have to pay $2 extra for fries that had potential to be very good but needed to be cooked longer and were dripping with grease.

My sister ordered a cobb salad that had rotting lettuce, big strips of soggy bacon and was basically inedible.

I am not a hard person to please, but I won't give this place a second change based on the amount of money I paid for such slow service and really bad food.

Annas H, Guest Relations Manager at Anna's House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Hello!

Thank you for the feedback. We always appreciate when our guests bring things like this to our attention. Please know we are passing along your comments to our team to ensure we continue to improve. Moments like these are difficult for us, because we are committed to providing the genuine service, and high quality food. We apologize for any inconvenience this caused you.

If you're ever dissatisfied with you meal, please let your server know right away so we can fix it or switch it out for something you love. Thank you again for providing a foundation on which to improve. We sincerely hope you will try us again, so we can prove to you why we're voted the #1 Best Breakfast in Michigan.