“There's No Place Like Home”

True North Kitchen And Bar
Ranked #6 of 131 Restaurants in Weymouth
Reviewed 10 September 2021

True North Kitchen & Bar

It was time for me to try getting out again and I am so grateful I was led by a friend to True North Kitchen and Bar in Weymouth, Massachusetts. The ambience, food and service were beyond exceptional. In fact, I was given so much more than just food.

True North Kitchen and Bar is easy to get to. It is right on 3A in Weymouth, south of the Fore River Bridge, where Kelly’s Landy once was. But make no mistake! There is nothing left that resembles Kelly’s Landing. The address is 159 Bridge Street (3A) and there is plenty of parking.

The atmosphere was warm, friendly, casual and fun, both things desperately needed in these times of change. The owners, Joe and Janet Campbell, have clearly adapted to the new ways of being without being dragged down. Instead, they have embraced change and opened themselves to new and creative ways. That in and of itself is inspiring on many levels. I especially loved the little pamphlet where one scans a QR code for the menu. I mean, that should have happened long before Covid in my mind.

The seating inside was clean and inviting, and the outdoor area was tented with generously spaced tables and warmed by plants, rugs and heaters, when needed. Janet, one of the owners, has placed cascades of her treasured vine geraniums to define the borders giving it color and soul.

The wait staff is friendly, personable, and actually eager to please customers. The menu might seem small to some used to mini-books, but I’d rather a slight menu to one that overreaches into leftovers and old food thank you very much. Bigger and more is not always better. All of the food at True North Kitchen and Bar is made from scratch and it shows.

Owners Janet and Joe Campbell bring oodles of experience. Joe was once the Vice President of Operations at Legal Seafoods for over five years and they were Managing Partners at Cohasset Harbor Restaurant (located at Atlantica) for over 15 years.

Beyond their hospitality comes a sense of comfort knowing that the food served matters. It is hard to put into words, but we almost expected to learn something new from our conversations, or have good stuff imparted just be eating. It is so hard to feel authentically taken care of these days when embarking on little journeys in this new world. Joe and Janet prove that there are still many good things to find out there.

Date of visit: September 2021
Write a reviewReviews (39)

Reviewed 23 August 2021

We held a night before his wedding dinner here with 18 people. We ordered off the menu, and prices were very reasonable. Everyone seemed happy with their meals and choice of beverages. I was very pleased that they offered many gluten free items and were knowledgeable about cross contamination. It is definitely a place I would visit when we are back in the Boston area (and yes, it does have a parking lot!)

Date of visit: June 2021
Reviewed 25 January 2021 via mobile

My family stopped off for a late lunch on Sunday. It was our first time and thought the place was very comfortable and clean. The food was really good. My wife had the chicken parm which she said was very hood and I tried the Detroit style pizza which was awesome. Kids both liked their meals, really impressed with this place, will definitely be back.

Date of visit: January 2021
1  Thank joshc838
Reviewed 26 July 2020

The staff is incredibly friendly and accommodating. The food is top quality, well prepared and delicious. The only reason for the 4 vs 5 star is that the menu is limited. But there are a variety of choices.
I had the Nashville chicken sandwich which was very tasty. My husband had the fish sandwich and he said it was the best he ever eaten -- even better than a noted fish place near us.

Date of visit: July 2020
1  Thank nancym290
Reviewed 11 February 2020

I have been to this place about 3 times the past year for lunch and dinner. Overall the bar itself has been lively with families, couples and singles enjoying themselves. Unfortunately it seems as the restaurant hasn't figured out what clientele they are looking to target. The menu is relatively limited and the food ok depending on what you choose. I enjoy it more for lunch versus dinner mainly due to the menu.

Date of visit: December 2019