All reviews indian restaurant breakfast room lakeside room lake view pontoon boat on site restaurant front desk staff small lake adirondack chairs hard boiled eggs yogurt no elevator laurel lake pleasant stay complimentary breakfast waffle maker second floor
Reviewed 24 June 2018

We decided to give the Black Swan Inn a try a recent trip to the Berkshires. There were many things that we liked about our stay but we had a few disappointments as well. The rooms are very tastefully appointed. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean. The bathroom facilities and amenities were above average. These features made the rates very acceptable. However, the continental breakfast was not a high point. There were no hot items and what there was for cold items was very limited. We didn’t even bother with it the second morning. The other thing, which was surprising, was the very poor Internet service. When we inquired, the front desk and told us to read the instructions in the motel guide which gave us the name of the local cable company to call and get better service. We did and it did help to solve problem. However, for rates north of $100 a night, guests should not have to be calling the cable company to get service. These were only a few disappointments that we had. I’m sure we will give the Black Swan Inn consideration the next time we plan a trip to The Berkshires.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

We spent 2 nights at the suggestion of the locals we came to visit. We are in season for Tanglewood so price was one factor in our choice. One in our party was traveling with a service dog so that, too, was an important consideration. All in all it was a good choice.

On the plus side, the property is beautiful. It is on a lake. Guests have access to kayaks, paddle boats and bicycles, or one can just walk around the property to enjoy the beauty of New England. The rooms are small but adequate. They could be brightened a bit, but are well maintained. House keeping kept things tidy but did not refresh amenities. I'm sure we could have asked for more but we got back late and didn't notice until morning. Wi-Fi is free but on again-off again, as is cell service. It's a problem throughout the region- not specific to the hotel.

I noticed some negative reviews about the breakfast. Since we are Comfort Inn regulars, we knew what to expect and considered the choices more than adequate - though patrons might be better informed if they called it continental breakfast. What we didn't expect was the warmth and charm of the dining area manager, a man named Sunny, who treated each guest as if we were guests in his home. He chatted with every guest, quietly kept the room clean and tidy, and on our second day when a bunch of us arrived late, extended the hour. It was a kind and gracious act.

In summary, The Black Swan is not a "fine hotel" but it has the basics covered, is peaceful and lovely, and it's staffed with pleasant and easy going help. For the price, it's an excellent value.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

The hotel was very nice: sparkling clean, nice and quiet. Ask for a room overlooking the lake: it’s real pretty!

The door key didn’t work, so I went back to the desk asking to fix it. They did and sent me on my way. Doesn’t anyone say “sorry for the inconvenience” anymore?

Another problem with the key a day later, and a different clerk at the desk just laughed it off. Not a big thing, but the difference between 4 stars and 3 for me.

That, and the quite skimpy breakfast: cereal and breads. And they ran out of cream cheese one day and 2% milk for 2 days. With such a limited menu, they should be able to keep it stocked up.

That said, I’d return, because the rooms are nice and I’d manage my expectations regarding breakfast.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

A friend and I stayed at the Black Swan Inn in Lee, Ma. just a few days ago. The room was small but clean and had a nice lake view. We were unfortunately on the first floor, so could hear people stomping about overhead. There were also loud people outside on the adjoining patios making it difficult to sleep. Free breakfast in the morning was instant oatmeal, watery coffee and a few unappetizing breads. The rate I paid was 357.00 including taxes and fees. For this price, frankly I expected much more. I would suggest they skip the free breakfast and decrease the room cost to be more in line with the type of motel it really is.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank MarciaF2078
Reviewed 14 June 2018

I love the Black Swan. Sure, it looks from the pictures a bit like a motel, but the external is deceiving. This is a true Berkshire delight. First and foremost, it's on a beautiful small lake, so the view from the back is outstanding, as are the small porches and the comfortable lake seating. Second, the rooms, while certainly not five star, are comfortable and welcoming. Third, the folks who work there run what seems like a "family" establishment. Ok, it's probably not family run, but man, it's friendly and accommodating. I traveled there for two years in a row with around 16 writers, and the Inn was more than accommodating to everyone in terms of space, places to write, and good, solid breakfast. I'm excited to go back again this summer, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Date of stay: July 2017
Carrie K, Front Office Manager at Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2018

Mr. Charney-

Wow!! What an outstanding review. On behalf of the entire staff, we thank you!! I must agree with you that we truly are a "family" here. We work very closely as a team and we thoroughly enjoy our jobs...and guests such as yourself. We are thrilled to hear that you like our property so much and are just elated that you would recommend us to others! That is truly the highest compliment that we could ever ask to receive. From the bottom of hearts, we thank you! We hope to see you again over the summer.

Carrie K