The Castle Manor Inn(Gloucester)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 02/08
US$200
US$162
Sea Lion Motel(Gloucester)(Great Value!)
US$189
Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks(Gloucester)(Great Value!)
US$334
Official Hotel
Atlantis Oceanfront Inn(Gloucester)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 29/07
US$296
US$274
Free cancellation until 03/08
US$188
Free cancellation until 01/08
US$133
US$429
Rockport Inn and Suites(Rockport)(Great Value!)
US$356
US$248
Priceline
All reviewsfront porchsitting roomgloucester harborgreat locationhis lifemagnolia suitebagelsthe air conditioningother guestslots of characterwonderful viewquiet at nightenjoy your staycookiestop floorstage fort parkstayed here for one night
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

200 year old harbor facing Inn with a friendly oldtime resident. Nice sized room with sitting room facing the harbor. Breakfast was small buffet, nothing special, but a nice h=change from other B & B fare of waffles, pancakes and egg specials. This is location only. Clean and Old. Might be on the high price side for some.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Johngloucester, Owner at Harborview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your kind words ; we give a fresh look to an historic harbor.

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

Wonderful , vintage era , clean, John goes way out of way to please, the cookies he serves are the best. We are coming back. John is knowledgeable about the area cause he grew up there. When I visit b&b I always ask if anyone famous stayed there. You just might be surprised.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2018

John met my wife and me personally when we checked in late around 10:30 PM. The room and bathroom were clean. This was a very nice place to stay. The main breakfast room sets a great tone for the place: traditional, polished and homely. The owner is a very avuncular, practical and knowledgeable person who gives helpful local insights. I'd recommend this place without hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Johngloucester, Owner at Harborview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Thank you for your kind words, we enjoyed your stay with us and wish you well and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

This Inn is a really beautiful, well kept vintage home. John (the proprietor) had it decorated so lovely for the winter holiday.
We arrived Christmas Eve and there was a nice gathering of Johns friends and family in the dining area.
The Christmas the tree was lit, the decorations inside and outside were beautiful! The fireplace was also lit and there was an abundance of food!
We were invited to join once we settled into our room, but since we'd been driving all day, we declined so we could unpack our things and get some sleep.

Our room was on the 3rd floor (Magnolia Suite) and one of Johns sons was nice enough to help us bring our suitcases up. (We had a lot!) We were grateful.

It's a very old home with a very narrow staircase up to the 3rd floor, so just be aware. There are no dressers to put clothes in, so we made due with a shelf and used the countertop for the built in cabinets. (The cabinets were too low for us to put our things there.)

The tub is a beautiful antique clawfoot with circular shower curtain. Although quaint, this space is very tight and a little dangerous, but again the house is authentically old.

The hot water for the shower is quick to arrive and the pressure is good. The hot water in the sink takes a while though.
There is some peeling wallpaper in the bathroom that should be replaced or attended to.
The bed was comfortable enough and the bedding was warm.
We were there during some of the coldest temps of the year, so it was nice that John kept it toasty and warm!
We also had 2 space heaters in the room for when the "house heat" was not on. When we were there during the day, it got pretty chilly in the room without the house heat.

The occasional chairs were comfy and plentiful.
There was also a small closet with hangers available in our room.

I'd wished there were a few more electical outlets by the bed, but as I said, this is an old home.
The views of the harbor from this room are spectacular.

We settled in for a good night sleep, but were a little disappointed the next morning when we went down for breakfast. Breakfast consisted of store bought cereals, cold hard-boiled eggs, english muffins, bagels and/or croissants with baby bon-belle cheese. There was juice, milk, coffee & tea. It was the same every morning! There were also some cakes.
For us, the "breakfast" part of the "bed & breakfast" is such a big part of the experience, hence our disappointment.

The dining room is closed at 9pm for the noise comfort of the guests.
John had some cookies and candies out for nibbling, but they were the same cookies for all 11 days. No fresh cookies were ever put out!
There were also some non-alcoholic beverages in a community fridge downstairs for a nominal fee.

We are also disappointed that the fireplace was never lit again after Christmas day. This was a shame because the temps ranged from -4° to 18°, not to mention the ambiance.

There is also no guest bathroom on the dining room level, so we would have to go back up to the 3rd floor to use the restroom after breakfast.

You are given a set of keys when you arrive. The one key opens the front doors as well as only your room. My husband tried to help one of the guests come in because the door "sticks."
He was reprimanded by John for doing so.
I understand Johns concern with safety, but it was clearly obvious that this woman was a guest here and my husband was only trying to help!

My husband and I are cigarette smokers, and we respectfully obeyed the "no smoking" policy, and went outdoors to smoke.
As not to disrespect anyone, and also not to freeze to death (lol) we would go across the street (there was both curbside and rear parking available) and sit in our car with the heat on, bothering no one.

John however made it a point to consistently bring up our smoking habit, or criticize our idling of the car.
After a few days of these mentions, we couldn't help but feel "lectured."
John also questioned if our car was a rental and that if so, we "shouldn't be smoking in it!" (I'm sorry, but that's not really anyones business!)

John was a very knowledgeable host having been a native of Gloucester all his life, but often became "opinionated" during conversations.

John was accommodating in suggesting to us a larger room than what we'd booked online when he noticed the length of our 11 day stay.
It was kind of him to think ahead and suggest it, and in doing so he gave us a break on the price.
We had to cut our trip short by 2 nights due to an incoming nor'easter. We wanted to leave while the roads were still passable.

I realize that on such short notice that John could not have re-booked our rooms to someone else, but never was there any kind of offer of a discount or perhaps to offer a discount if we were ever to re-visit the Inn.
Maybe it's just our opinion, or because we too are business owners but it just makes good business sense to offer "something."

We leave reviews such as these, not to criticize, but to offer some insight.
Perhaps some changes will be made because of it, or perhaps not. I'm powerless over that.
The likelihood that we would return to stay here is slim. It's a shame though.

For us ... "where we stay" ... is just as important as "what we enjoy" on our vacation.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandy H

Wow thank you for your detailed suggestions as always we try to make our guests feel at home. In your case it was a little difficult because you spent a lot of time in your car. the weather was subzero and that's for putting up with Mother Nature.

Usually when a guest has 8 suitcases we help them up stairs, lol, not many guests do however;this was a long stay and the 208 yr old house was not built for two full wardrobes in one room. The bathroom on the first floor was my private quarters by the way.

As to the breakfast the first day there were only the two of them, and after that we were quite full. The breakfast every day after was tailored to their needs. They never complained to me or staff, and ate all the goodies I had out. Sorry you were dissapointed. about the food.

In the off season we are a bit relaxed that is why a $229.00 per night room was given to them for $129. We do not give money back when someone leaves early, especially when they appeared to have a good time and made themselves at home.

As to the smoking, I am a non smoking facility. I guarantee the guests that they will not smell odors from smoking guest. We have a covered porch in the back of the Inn and another porch in front, but the weather was too cold so they smoked in their car.
When the came back in the house the halls and room strongly smelled of cigarette smoke and I actually lost one guest for their second night. My subtle hint about that did not work. This is another reason why I did not give a refund for early check out.

Lastly, these guests seemed to know everything about everything therefore when they asked my opinion of something or somewhere they seemed to already knew the answer which was not correct. I grew up inn Gloucester and am proud of the city so when someone gives out wrong information I correct them so that they can enjoy their sourroundings.

Once again, thank you for your stay and as you said when you left us that you would return, please keep in mind I have been here for 24 years as a Bed and Breakfast and serviced over 5,000 guests and try to obe perfect, but we all know that is impossible.

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay very much. Convenient and easy walk to waterfront, shopping, muic, restaurants, bakeries and historic area. Wished we could have stayed another night! We'll definitely be back... thank you John.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Ruth P
Johngloucester, Owner at Harborview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2017

Thank you so much for your kind words, See you soon