“Location, location, location!”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Average
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Boonton, New Jersey, United States
“renter beware”
Reviewed 31 July 2017 for a stay in June 2017
people found this review helpful

I was invited as a guest of the person who paid for the rental house. There was a scheduling mix-up which turned out to be the renter's fault (she rented via VBRO (or so she thought), all communication went through the inquiry email which had the incorrect dates in the subject line. Renter thought it was a Saturday-Saturday rental, it was a Sunday-Sunday rental. The renter takes full responsibility for not making note of the date change in the agreement.) With that said, before we knew whose fault it was, the owner said she would cover the cost of housing for the night which was in question. After alternative lodging had been secured, the owner of the house did point out that the error was the renters fault. Given the trouble the renter caused and the generous offer the owner made to cover the cost of that night, the renter made the choice not complain about numerous items that were wrong with the house, ones that all guests complained about/were extremely disappointed in. The owner notified the renter nearly a week after her stay that she had decided to use the security deposit to cover the cost of the night in question. If we had known that from the beginning, we would most certainly been more vocal about the condition of the home.

There were pros and cons as there would be with any rental unit. The view as soon as you enter the house is beautiful! It seems as if you can see for miles. The upper deck is great to use to enjoy the view on a not too windy day. It is a pet-friendly rental which is awesome. Located on a main street, the house is positioned well to walk around although there aren't many restaurants or shops to visit. The house has a fully functioning kitchen which is relatively well-stocked and it has a washer & dryer on-site.

Carpet: The carpeting throughout the downstairs of the house is in poor condition. It has snags (to the point of being a hazard) and is dirty. There are numerous area rugs throughout the home which were in poor condition as well and some were a tripping hazard. My 9 month old daughter was crawling around in her pajamas. Her knees were brown after just a little time on the carpet. We tried to use the vacuum, but it didn't work. Why there is even carpeting in a pet-friendly rental is beyond me.
Outside property: When we pulled into the two car parking area there was a pile of dead leaves and garbage in it. The grounds are overgrown and messy. While I recognize there are regulations against trimming sea grass, it wasn’t just sea grass. There were overgrown thorn bushes as well, which stuck us as we walked to the beach path. There were cigarette butts and broken glass throughout property. There was a broken patio table that was rusted and propped up against the fence. There is a brick path that goes from the front of the house around to the back that is a hazard to walk on given how uneven it is. The back deck has uneven boards and some boards that are loose creating tripping hazard. The main entrance of the house has a small front stoop, but the screen door opens against the railing creating a very difficult entry to maneuver. We were told there would be gas for grilling, but there was none, another disappointing factor. The chairs on the top balcony were broken, causing sharp edges to be exposed, again, dangerous for the kids.
Beach access: The photos are deceiving on the website. There is a deck off the back of the house that leads to a sandy area which is perfect for playing in (minus the cigarette butts and broken glass). There is also significant drop-off the back of the property which includes a rock wall. So, while you are beach front, the drop off does not allow you to go right out of your back door to the beach. If a child ran off or if an animal ran out and couldn't/didn't stop at the top of the wall, they could be seriously injured. Beach access is a potential problem for those with mobility issues. You cannot just walk out of the house and down to the beach. There is a walkway between two houses leading to very steep stairs that go to the beach. To get to that walkway you either have to walk out the front of the house and go to the left or you have to step over uneven area to get to the pathway to the stairs. Either way, if you have mobility issues like my mother with bad knees, getting to the beach is not easy (she went once during the entire week).
Sliding door/Windows: The screen door leading out to the deck did not slide smoothly. It took effort to open and close it and continuously had to be placed back on its track. Front window screen kept falling out, we ended up propping up on the side of the house. There were also two missing window screens. Beds/Bedrooms: The front bedroom had an unpleasant odor in it. Even with the windows open to air it out, it was unbearable. There were scented candles (which we never lit) and potpourri which we put away since it was overpowering. That room was also very small, to the point where there was no place to put luggage let alone a pack and play for the baby. The beds in the front bedroom and master bedroom were horribly uncomfortable, to the point where I decided to sleep on the sofa.
Upstairs bathroom: The door to the upstairs bathroom did not remain closed creating privacy issues.
Linens: The bed linens were old and dingy and did not fit the master bedroom bed. The towels were not in good condition either. The bath mats were coated in dirt and sand and even after we washed once we arrived, it did little to help. I would highly recommend bringing your own linens/towels.
Basement: It is fabulous to have the ability to do laundry on-site. There is a clothes line in the basement for items that cannot go in the dryer (also awesome), however, the line had cob webs around it. I noticed multiple spiders and centipedes throughout the home. My issue with the basement and the basement stairs is that there were many hazardous items and chemicals left in the open. Those should be in a locked cabinet that only an adult can access. Perhaps the biggest complaint is that only a lite cleaning is done between renters due to the volume of houses needing to be cleaned at the end of each rental term. I find that disgusting especially since animals are permitted and this unit seems to have a decent amount of use. What if an animal messed in the house? What if someone got sick and didn't clean properly? If only a minimal amount of time is spent cleaning a home, dirt and germs will unavoidably be missed.

Overall, the view is amazing, a fully stocked/functioning kitchen is great, and having laundry onsite is wonderful.

The dirtiness, messy outside appearance, potential safety issues, and issues that create challenges for those who can't move around easily are all reasons why I wouldn't recommend this house.

Having, by chance, spoken with people who had rented the house previously, our experiences here were not isolated occurrences, but repeat offenses. I was told that the owner was very pleasant to deal with in the beginning, but if an issue was raised that she didn't agree with that her tune quickly changed. If you do opt to rent here, bring your own towels, Lysol wipes, dish soap, dishwasher soap, & laundry detergent.

Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
29 Aug 2017
I have been renting our beach house for many years and take my guest's experiences very seriously.
We rent from Sunday to Sunday to help with the traffic on and off the Cape.
I was shocked to get the call from my local property manager Rick that Erin..her family of 5 and a goldendoodle arrived at Sea Watch on Saturday June 24. Erin insisted her paperwork supported the Saturday arrival. I've never double booked guests..a fear of mine ..so I have a cross check system.But if I did make the error, I am responsible to do what I can to correct it. I didn't want to waste time looking back to see where I went wrong so both Rick and I spent the next 2 hours looking for a hotel, cottage, house available that night for 5 and a large dog.
I had a lead on a house thru Air BNB and Rick called in favors with his contacts and located a cottage 5 min away. He negotiated the price down by $100 to $400/night. + taxes and fees
Once I knew they were settled in, I went back to my notes/e mails and found that it was Erin's error. She originally asked for Sat to Sat but my first e mail to her explained that we go Sun to Sun.. The next e mail was the rental agreement that spelled out the Sun to Sunday dates.I forwarded those to Erin to show her that the error was on her part. I was relieved it wasn't my fault but was happy that we were able to find her a close by cottage so she didn't have to drive back to New Jersey and return the next day. We also rearranged our cleaner so she could get in by noon rather than the usual 3 PM check in .Erin admitted it was her error and that she enjoyed the cottage we found for her.(later complained about the cottage by e mail)
I paid for all the cost of the additional cottage up front so they could get in quickly. Costs exceeded the deposit but I covered the excess.
We didn't hear anything else from Erin's family during their stay.
Needless to say I was surprised to hear that not only did Erin expect me to pay for the extra night , she had a long list of complaints about the house. The directions and info on the house that all guests get.states that any issues should be reported to Rick in the first 24 hours so we can address any problem. I want my guests to be happy and I can't fix something if I don't know about it.
The photos show that the beach is lower than the back yard with a railing.visible at the right side.
The carpets were steam cleaned during the winter when we repainted the walls and ceilings. The linens are a bamboo blend..2 sets per bed.new last season.There were 2 full gas tanks when the season started. No complaints from the guests following Erin.
No one before or after Erin complained about the "horrible smell", uncomfortable beds..(memory foam topper),
Yes..there could have been some leaves in the parking area and a cobweb in the basement.
I feel we did all we could assist Erin after her mix up on the dates. I don't think I was responsible to pay for the additional night since it was not my error in booking ..I wish Erin and her family had paid more attention to detail ie:dates, photos and instruction to contact us if there were issues rather than write a bad review weeks later.
Jenny S
Bloomington, Indiana
“Location, location, location!”
Reviewed 13 May 2017 for a stay in April 2017

Our principal objective was to be right on the ocean. This place delivers that and so much more! There were just two of us, but Nancy's lovely house would be quite comfortable for six, it is spacious with multiple places to relax and enjoy the sights and sounds of the Atlantic. The kitchen was well-equipped, we had everything we needed. While there are few reviews here, her guest book showed several years of happy renters' stories, with many noting their third and fourth annual visits to this same familiar cottage. It's easy to see why people would come back to this gem year after year.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Management Response
16 May 2017
Thank you Jenny..hope you will come visit again ! You were the perfect guest.
Melanie H
London
“Amazing ocean views”
Reviewed 15 June 2016 for a stay in May 2016
people found this review helpful

When we planned our East Coast trip we decided we would need a few days’ rest after visiting Washington and New York before our final stop in Boston before returning to the UK. Sea Watch was absolutely perfect. We hired a car in New York and it was an easy drive to Cape Cod. The house is in a lovely quiet road with enough parking at the front for two cars. When we opened the front door and saw the ocean we knew we had made an excellent choice. It was so lovely to cook a meal that first night, open a bottle of local wine and relax watching the ocean. We particularly enjoyed looking at the beautiful night sky. There was plenty of space for our (grown up) family and the upstairs bedroom has a veranda running right across the back. Being able to walk straight onto the beach was wonderful and we loved the whole area. Nancy was very helpful throughout the booking process and always responded to our emails very quickly. I would thoroughly recommend staying at Sea Watch. Thank you Nancy for allowing us to share your beautiful ocean retreat.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The views
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing