“Lobster Roll Surprise”
Review of Papa Gino's

Papa Gino's
Ranked #13 of 21 Restaurants in Charlton
Cuisines: Fast food
Description: Founded in 1961 by the Valerio family in East Boston, Papa Gino's has been serving the same thin-crust Italian-style pizza and supporting local New England communities for over half a century. With dough made fresh daily in Walpole MA from just five simple ingredients, tomatoes harvested on the exact day for ripeness and real tomato taste, and an authentic medley of three premium cheeses, New Englanders will agree, nothing else tastes like Papa Gino's
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I know what you’re thinking. You stopped at a rest area expecting a great lobster roll? Are you kidding?

Nine years ago we were hungry and stopped at the first available place. It just happened to be a D’Angelos. Got their twin lobster roll (now a large). It was awesome. We have yet to find one as good since.

Fast forward nine years later. After eating more lobster rolls in New England than you can mention, we finally made it back to a D’Angelos.

Ok, memory does tend to color experiences. We got nice lumps of lobster in our Maine style lobster roll. Tasty. Not like we remembered it. These days we like old bay seasoning on seafood. Once we added some old bay seasoning it was just perfect.

Next time we will get some more lobster rolls. Only next time we won’t forget our own seasoning.

Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

Of all the chain pizzas, I like Papa Gino’s the best. I won’t go out of my way for it, but it’s usually better than the other choices.

Driving home to Maine after an unexpected golf weekend in Connecticut, I stopped at the Charlton Plaza off the Mass Pike. I’ve stopped here many times over the years with the family for bathroom breaks. But being by myself, I decided to get a couple slices for the ride home.

I got two slices of cheese pizza. One was good and one wasn’t. The one that was good was like a typical slice from any PG’s. The one that wasn’t, was soggy and floppy. Same pie, but obviously not cooked properly. They weren’t busy and there was plenty of help.

Does anyone remember when the main restaurant here was Roy Rogers? Never a bad meal.

Reviewed 25 March 2017

ordered combo with pepperoni pizza and coffee, paid, went to get coffee, told there was none, told there was no pepperoni so had to go with plain, rude person refused to serve puzza, waited, pepperoni pizza in plain site, but given cheese by rude person; worst restaurant experience in years

Reviewed 1 December 2015

Stopped here on the way to Maine,did not want to get off the highway.Rest area food,so why expect any better?The pizza was so greasy,good thing we ate it inside and not back in the car.My mistake a rest area should be a place to rest,not to eat.

Reviewed 21 September 2015

Stopped at the rest area to grab some lunch, such a busy place in general, chose Papa Gino's. I ordered the meat pizza slice, didn't realize it would have bacon on it, didn't like it, so took off all the meats and ate the rest, the sauce was bland. My husband got 2 cheese slices, he enjoyed them. I have had better elsewhere.

Been to Papa Gino's? Share your experiences!