“Wonderful dim sum; incredible service”

Hollywood East Cafe
Ranked #6 of 67 Restaurants in Wheaton
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I came here with my grandchildren, whose Asian genes were in full flower as they devoured everything from pork buns to chicken feet to radish cakes. It was all hot and delicious, and the carts never stopped coming. I really don't get the criticism of the food; we had maybe a dozen different items and all were excellent. Okay, the rice crepe with pork was a bit disappointing, but that was it. Service was excellent; everything we asked for came quickly, and in many cases our desires were anticipated. Servers were friendly and helpful. A great place to head for dimsum.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

On a Thursday around noon, Hollywood East made for a totally acceptable quick Chinese lunch special. The large, L-shaped dining room has PLENTY of space, and it's quiet. If it weren't for the light rock instrumental music playing over the PA, you could hear a pin drop. I got the $9 pork with mixed vegetable lunch special (egg roll, fried rice and pork with broccoli, water chestnuts, beans and mushrooms) and finished the whole thing. Service was attentive. Compared with the fast food chains and sandwich shops, this is a winner; compared with any local Chinese restaurant, it's about middle of the road food-wise.

Reviewed 14 February 2018

This was our first time going to Hollywood East Cafe. The restaurant was quiet, not crowded at all when we went for lunch, although it did get busier later. The waiter was very attentive and service was fast. My husband and I got their lunch specials. My egg drop soup was very good as was his hot and sour soup. Egg rolls were hot and fresh. My husband enjoyed his pork with vegetables. But my chicken with cashews was extremely salty and I couldn't finish it. The lunch specials were a great value. I would give them another try. However, I think I'd order something different.

Reviewed 2 February 2018

If you are looking for great dim sum, this is the place for you. It seems that the choices are endless. The food is fresh and flavorful. It is hard to say which choice is the best because they do so many well. The Har Gow (shrimp dumplings ) are some of the best. The baked and steamed pork buns and fung gor are great. Go with a group so you can sample more things.

Reviewed 29 January 2018

We came here because we heard they had the best dim sum in DC (per a Washington Post review). Tucked away in a mall, the restaurant itself had a nice feel to it and there were plenty of people eating here. Most of the servers were very pleasant. But, the dim sum itself was meh. Barely warm. A big turn-off was that one shrimp dish (deep fried taro shrimp cake) had a 2" long piece of white string in it. When I brought this to the attention of a waitress, she just smiled and said that she was sorry. We miss Oriental East Restaurant. :-(