“Great food! Awesome Sunday brunch , too. Cozy ”
Review of An Poitin Stil

An Poitin Stil
Reserve with OpenTable
An Poitin Stil is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 45 Restaurants in Timonium
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

I love the food here. Especially the potato encrusted grouper . Excellent bartender ... I forget his name... Been there forever. Great mojitos!! Blueberry ...strawberry or regular lime.

Scott M, Owner at An Poitin Stil, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2018

Thank you so much for the amazing review, Jena! We are thrilled you love our food here and especially our mojito's as well. We look forward to many more visits to keep enjoying your time spent with us. Take care!

Reviewed 23 April 2018

On a Sunday evening it was not very busy. Our waitress, Elle, was upbeat, informative and patient. She clearly explained various dishes to us and helped in making good culinary choices.
Before getting into the food I need to mention the delicious Irish Martini. It was as green as the Emerald Isle and so tasty I could have easily had more than one. (I sadly did not).
The Irish spring rolls should not be missed. They are corned beef and cabbage and come with two dipping sauces. It would be easy to make a meal of them.
Two of my companions ordered the Shepherds Pie which they had eaten before and definitely wanted again. The salmon came with an interesting glaze and was lovely.
The hearty meal left us with no room for dessert but the offerings looked well worth trying.
Our delightful Elle and the interesting little cove where we were seared made the meal especially enjoyable.

Scott M, Owner at An Poitin Stil, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Thank you so much for the wonderful review and description of your lovely meal with us! We are thrilled you truly enjoyed everything we have to offer on our authentic Irish cuisine especially our Irish Martini! The Shepherds Pie and Irish spring rolls are fan favorites here and are definitely a good choice from the menu. We can't wait to see you again soon, and hopefully try some dessert next time! Take care.

Reviewed 18 April 2018

I've been coming here for about 20 years, 3-4 times a year when business brings me to the Fairgrounds across the street.
My visits have always been Friday/Saturday nights and Sunday early evening, so bear that in mind when reading this...
Great place for a drink and meal with friends or meet people. I prefer the "Paddy-O" (patio), which is a little quieter and where the locals like to go. Bartender has a little more time for you, as the inside is usually banging with business. Unfortunately, the patio is often closed for private parties, so...
Still, the inside is pleasant and nice in the early evening. There is a back room for quieter dining.
Food is often very good, with the occasional miss. They drop and and add items to the menu regularly... and some of my favorites have gone... but the menu remains "Irish" for the most part. Kitchen is quick and efficient.
Mussels and pie are my favorites, and I tried the seafood dip for the first time on this last visit...EXCELLENT...but the shocker was a complete mistake on my part.
I ordered the Portabella Mushroom burger, thinking it would be a beef burger with mushrooms, but, no... it was a burger made with a HUGE Portabella cap. Delicious. Absolutely DELICIOUS.... and I am a dyed-in-the-wool meat-eater. Was as good as prime rib.
Beer selection is nice, and the drinks are served up with some "muscle" in them, not watery, pinky-in-the-air affectations.
Wait staff seems a bit over-wrought and spread thin at times. If I were you, I'd tell them about your drinking speed ahead of time, if you want to garantee not to go dry for a bit.
They don't open till the afternoon, so early lunch is out.

A word of caution: The Stil is not really an ideal setting for kids, although I often see families in the early evening. It's more of a bar atmosphere, and things heat up early... around 7 PM. I wouldn't plan on ordering dinner after that, either. It just starts to get a tad loud and "boisterous", let's say. GREAT, if you are looking for that (I often am), but not a place to take Aunt Mildred and Junior.

Live music is often available, with good bands and a bit of a dance floor. Great date joint, especially double-date.

Cleanliness is a little rough on the edges. It's an IRISH PUB, fer cryin' out loud. Not "dirty", just ... a lot of traffic. It would be difficult for ANY establishment to maintain white-glove levels with the party in full swing.
Plenty of parking... and they don't mind if you leave your car there overnight... heh, heh.

The Stil is one of my favorites, and I don't miss a chance to go... but it's not everyones cup o'tea. I go there for good eats and drink, good times and music. The "Chez L'Snob" it ain't...

Scott M, Manager at An Poitin Stil, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Thank you for the great review! We are thrilled you always visit the Stil whenever you get to the Maryland Fairgrounds and usually always have a great time with us. We are very happy to hear you actually enjoyed the portabella burger with us as most people are taken by surprise. We appreciate the funny, awesome review, too and can't wait to see you again soon! Take care.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

We went to the Still on Monday because they were having 1/2 price burgers from open to close. What we did not know is that it is only for the Still Burger priced at $9.99; and, it seems, with the 1/2 price burger offer all you get is the 8 oz. Still burger, cheese, and a bun and NOTHING ELSE, according to our server. Even though the menu reads that Grillers and Sandwiches are served with homemade potato chips, French onion dip, and a dill pickle spear.

Rebecca, the server, asked my husband if he wanted fries or chips and he said “chips.” When she brought the burgers, each plate had a pickle, potato chips and the French onion dip on them. Imagine our surprise when she presented us with the bill with an additional charge for $1.00 for the potato chips. When we questioned her about this, she said that potato chips do not come with the 1/2 price burger offer – then why did we get the pickle and the French onion dip? I think the servers need to fully explain what is included in the 1/2 price burger offer.

How cheap can a restaurant be that they would not give you potato chips with your burger? Needless to say, we won’t be coming back.

Scott M, Owner at An Poitin Stil, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Hi Maggi, thank you for taking the time to leave a review and voice your concerns. We are disappointed to learn of your most recent experience with us on our burger night. With that being said, we have been running this promotion the same way for 10 years and the only thing has changed is that it now includes cheese. During our burger nights, we only offer the regular 8oz still burger at 1/2 price for $5. The promotion only includes the Burger all sides are extra. We do sincerely apologize for any misunderstandings. We hope to see you again soon to enjoy another night with us. Take care.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

Whatever you do, DON'T GO TO THE STILL especially the day after St. Patty's day. Everything about your experience will be horrible. We went there today with our family of 6 (my husband, 2 kids and 2 elderly parents). I called ahead and was told that there were plenty of tables. We went there at 6pm for dinner. We were never told that there was a very limited menu for this evening. You would think that the restaurant would be so much fun during this week and with a full regular menu but that was NOT the case. We had no idea that they had had a festival in a tent until 4pm. Our experience was horrendous and shameful of any restaurant of their caliber, much less an Irish restaurant around St. Patty's day. We were never told until we were seated that there was a limited menu. We were never told that they were only serving their "festival food" in the restaurant. The hostess sat us and never gave us menus. I had to get up and request them and then was given the "limited menu". We asked if the food like the Shepard's pie was the same recipe as the regular menu and the waiter told us that it was. IT WAS NOT ANYTHING like their regular recipes. It was like Irish Fast food. It was nasty and luke warm. They actually served the food in the restaurant (and by the way at 4pm the restaurant was less than 1/4 filled) on PLASTIC plates and PLASTIC cups!!!!! My daughter ordered a burger and it was burned and cold. We we said something the waiter told us that the food was pre-cooked for the festival. We had to ask for condiments and it took forever to find the waiter. I had to get up again and find him. Many of the staff were sitting around the end of the bar and hanging out around the kitchen door. We had to beg to get another drink. The were not serving appetizers and they served no Irish Soda Bread because it was the St. Patty's day weekend. DOES that make any sense????? They had no live Irish music as they usually do on the weekends and you could barely hear any music at all. It seemed like we were interrupting a staff dinner. We will never go back and we will tell everyone the same!!! We have been there many times and have NEVER experienced anything so bush-league as this. Shame on the management/lack there of. It was the very worst experience ever!!! The management should never be in the food service business!!! We even asked for the manager and the experience got no better.

1  Thank Trish K
Scott M, Owner at An Poitin Stil, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Hi Trish, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are very disappointed to learn your experience with us, especially St. Patrick’s weekend, was anything like you have experienced before and sincerely apologize for the service that you received. St. Patrick’s Day weekend is very hard on the restaurant industry, especially us Irish restaurants, but we understand where your frustrations lie. We will be sure to take all feedback into consideration, as we always do, but hope that since you have visited many times before, you will visit again as you know what we are truly capable of. We hope you reconsider your decision, as it seems that you have enjoyed our live music on weekends, and have a better experience with your next visit. Take care.

Been to An Poitin Stil? Share your experiences!