“Amazing! Living Large in Deep Creek”

Review of The Herrington

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
hisinc
maryland
“Amazing! Living Large in Deep Creek”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 for a stay in September 2013
people found this review helpful

I can't believe there are no reviews on this property. So feel inclined to make one. I've visited Deep Creek several times now, and absolutely love renting through Railey Mountain Vacations. I thought it would be cool to bring a large group of family/friends for a weekend getaway, and wanted to find the perfect house to accommodate that. During my research, I stumbled across, which at the time, was one of their newer properties on the rental market: The Herrington. I could not believe the pictures and description of this house. This place had EVERYTHING.. indoor pool, outdoor hot tubs, ballroom, game room, theater, gazebo and private lake, the list goes on and on! Considering the price tag on the rental, I made arrangements to tour the house (twice) before finally deciding to make a reservation. The pictures do not do this property full justice. It took me about 2 hours to tour the house. The property keeper/guide is wonderful! She explains the history of the house, shows you things you wouldn't otherwise pay attention too, and was an overall sweetheart throughout the process. The house is advertised to sleep 34, but just be mindful of the sleeping arrangements, number/types of beds, etc., when planning, as that number does include the rollaway beds, which may or may not be feasible for some adults. Considering this was an all-adult trip, we did not utilize the rollaways, and it was not necessary as I had under 30 people. There are ample spaces for both couples and singles, and even the "open" sleeping areas have a somewhat private feel to them.

Despite all the activities in the Deep Creek area, I would say 98% of the folks who came, stayed in the house. I mean, if you see the place, you ask yourself why you would EVER want to leave. I fully utilized every room and amenity during the stay. Please be sure to inquire about all the house rules prior to signing the contract, as there seems to be very specific vendors and such you have to use if you are doing something like a wedding or event. I was hosting neither, so I didn't have any problems, but just a heads up to those who are considering the location for a wedding venue. Also, be sure to inquire about the water restrictions! The property utilizes well water, and if you anticipate having a full capacity house, just plan accordingly. Again, I was communicated all this in advance, and took the proper precautions with my group to ensure we didn't run out of water. There was two plumbing problems we ran into during our stay. One was a leak in the basement, and another was the hot water was not working in certain areas of the house our first night. Considering the amount of money paid to stay there, that was concerning, however I will say Railey Mtn did what was necessary to get the proper maintenance crew/plumber on site to address the issue in a timely manner before it became a major issue.

The property is even bigger on the outside than on the inside. With views of rolling hills, a lake, and whatever wildlife is lurking at the time. You may spend just as much time outside as in. We enjoyed the fire pit for marshmallow roasting, the grills for BBQ's, and the patio for sunrise yoga!! I would just suggest making sure you have a group of people you trust and know will respect the property. The property guide told me horror stories of some of the things people do. Considering my name was on the contract, my folks knew better than to break, damage, or even look at anything wrong!!!

The Herrington is a retreat in and of itself. Well worth the price paid to stay there, and would love to go back if the opportunity allows. Felt like I was living that celebrity lifestyle, if only for one weekend. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: On-Site Amenities
Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing