Patuxent Research Refuge - North Tract
Review Highlights
Wilderness respite near DC

Having stopped in here several times over the years, I figured I'd write a review at this... read more

Reviewed 27 October 2019
COTraveller33
Silver Spring, Maryland
way out in the woods

Reviewed 28 July 2017
patricksS4343SF
Laurel, Maryland

All reviews walking trails southern mud bridge respite pond dc wilderness wildlife
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 July 2020

Beautiful area to hike and can bring dogs and kids. Water area, gorgeous wildlife and much needed respite from busy traffic area. Well worth a visit. My friend said, "How did I not know about this place before now??" It is so fun to go.

Date of experience: July 2020
Reviewed 27 October 2019

Having stopped in here several times over the years, I figured I'd write a review at this time.

The Pax NWR is divided into two tracts - North & South. You can transit from one to the other by walking trails, or drive out the anterior roads.

We stopped in to go fishing this time.

The ranger station is a bit of a pain, in that you have to register, get a pass, and be out by a certain time. But what the heck.

So we were looking for Northern Snakeheads - and were sent to the Cattail Pond - what a joke. More weeds and muck than water. We drove north toward Lake Allen (closed at the time), so we fished the Pax river from the bridge and the banks near the bridge. Two small sunfish - Redbreasted & Green. Nothing exciting.

Then we drove down to Rieve's Pond. More like a mud puddle. Several nibbles. No bites. It's an easy walk and very quiet back in there.

Parking: gravel lot or along the roads
Service: not the friendliest
Ambiance: pure nature

Would recommend: Maybe
Would re-patronize: Probably - but when Lake Allen is open and stocked

Date of experience: October 2019
Reviewed 2 July 2019 via mobile

Maybe because I had teenagers with me, or maybe it was the time of year when nothing too exciting was going on? I don’t know, but no one in my party got excited about this beyond getting out in the fresh air on a nice day.

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank TripLady5
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

This is accessed via Rt. 198.
Check in at the control station.
Open 8-4.
Miles of well kept trails and dirt roads. I spent 2 1/2 hours trail running and saw one other person.
Water and restrooms at the control station.

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank LDavidMarquet
Reviewed 28 July 2017

Nice place for hiking or viewing the wildlife. Hummingbirds were flocking when we were there. No fee, but have to sign in. Can drive around a bit, but the roads deteriorate rapidly. They will warn you about the unexploded ordnance from Fort Meade. Maps at the check-in station, bathroom, drinking fountain.

Date of experience: July 2017