“Ouch chicken bones served in salad”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
California Tortilla
Ranked #47 of 129 Restaurants in Bowie
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I ordered the Honey Lime Bowl today for lunch. About a quarter into the meal, I bit into a hard sharp object. Upon spitting it out it was a chicken bone. When I told the cashier, he did politely offer something else.
But I declined as I wanted chicken, and wasn't willing to find another bone in my salad. I asked who the supplier or co packer was for the chicken. Saval Foods.
I called Saval to tell them their screening for foreign objects had missed on the particular batch of chicken I had been given on my salad. Savals rep did not offer to take Cal Tor address or my name. I'm disappointed that neither California Tortilla or Saval Foods offered to check more thoroughly the food products they sell and serve.
Please be careful and don't assume your chicken is boneless at California Tortilla

Reviewed 2 September 2017

This pains me to write this, as I love the Annapolis store, but my 2nd visit to the Bowie store may be my last. As a general statement I have found historically that customer service in Bowie is poor. The sporadic exception, such as DuClaw or Longhorns, only emphasizes this fact.
I ended up behind a woman making a serial order for what I imagine was her office. Minutes went by as I waited to place my order. The cashier was having difficulty in both clarifying the woman's orders as well as running the machine. Meanwhile the grinning manager was just wandering about, occasionally advising her as to corrections on order processing. Other than that he seemed to serve no function. He did take over the order process to expedite. He also did not use one of the other two registers to adress the growing line behind me. At 8 minutes and counting, as the order continued to grow and the manager continued to wander about...I left. Order completion in Bowie takes twice what is does in Annapolis. I imaging had I left it would have been at least half an hour to place an order and receive my meal.
Bottom line: when a client is placing a large group order 1 item, 1 payment at a time and you have spare staff, open another register to handle the waiting customers.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

Stopped with family. Pleasant service, same great menu. Somehow not quite the same burrito taste but still quite good. Service was slower than the pace set by the Riva shop. Same great selection of hot sauce.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

Food is always fresh and well prepared. Large variety of hot sauces if you like. Staff is friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 31 May 2016

This California Tortilla is our Go-To location when we don't have a meal plan and want to go grab something. They have a wide selection of options, you can order something from the menu as is, or make your own. Our go-to item is a quesedilla with carnitas, and a side of chips and guacamole. The guac with the carnitas just makes a perfect bite. They don't skimp on the meat either. They have kids options which include a cookie or brownie and a drink, our daughter gets the "make your own" with chicken. They have the best selection of hot sauces I've seen since living in San Diego. The soda machine is one of those single machines where you can select from countless options. The service is always attentive, they are great people that work there. Sometimes it can take a little while to get your food, but since they are making it custom for you when you order it, that's to be expected. I know we'll be back soon!

Been to California Tortilla? Share your experiences!