“Best lobster in casual setting with spectacular view”

Beal's Lobster Pier
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery
Description: Eat, drink and be messy. A visit to Beal's Lobster Pier is always a highlight - a restaurant that's on the water, with an atmosphere that's down to earth. At our working lobster pier in Southwest Harbor, Maine, you and your family will have a blast watching the boasts coming in and the lobstermen unloading their fresh catch. Hear the creak of rope on the moorings. Catch the scent of saltwater on the breeze and enjoy the waterfront view while chowing down on the freshest lobster you can eat. (Don't worry, the napkins are on us!)
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Beal’s is the best place for lobster. Fresh, fabulous tasty lobster with yummy sides; friendly, helpful service and dining on the dock is picturesque. We ate there one night and took out another. Both equally fabulous!! This place never disappoints.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 127)

128 - 132 of 1 127 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

In Maine, the lobster is king, and few do it better than Beal’s Lobster Pier in Southwest Harbor, which is mere minutes away from parts of the famous Acadia National Park. Or at least that was my experience during my honeymoon last week. Acadia is what attracted my newlywed wife and I to the area, but it was Beal’s Lobster Pier that offered a unique experience, because not only do they offer the freshest seafood, they make it fun, messy and something to always remember.

I had once experienced a similar type of restaurant in Aruba, to where fishermen would dock alongside the docks of the restaurant and then within minutes, the freshest of fish is cooked and served before you. And let me tell you, that was the best seafood I had ever had… Well, that is until I thoroughly experienced what Maine had to offer. Lobster, clams, mussels, shrimp, haddock, scallops and more are delivered fresh right to Beal’s pier, all year round, and even though they close from October to May, you can still get the freshest seafood from them.

When you walk into Beal’s, you’re greeted by a long rectangular tank, filled to the brim with living lobsters. The next part is the hardest, because choosing what you want from the myriad of delectable options is a bit of a chore, especially for those of whom have never been to Maine prior. On my first visit, I went with the classic fresh cooked lobster, which you must work to enjoy, but it is very rewarding, although quite messy. You use your hands and a few tools to crack open the claws, then the tail, fins, and body (if you’re into the tamale), and then as you move through each piece of the lobster, you douse it in a garlic butter sauce that sends your tastebuds soaring.

I also tried the clam chowder, which was different than I was expecting, considering it was very liquified, compared to other variations where the use of cream creates a more creamy soup, but it was still very good with great flavor and spices. The next day, I returned to try the famous Lobster Roll, which is a healthy helping of fresh cooked lobster served with lettuce on a brioche bun, and is a fine alternative to cracking open your own fresh lobster. All in all, I came away very impressed with Beal’s, because not only is their food top quality, but the atmosphere of being right on the coast adds to the experience; the smell of the fresh sea air, the smell of the kitchen, and the hands-on approach is something everyone should experience, and from every restaurant I tried, Beal’s does it best.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

First of all, the staff was rude and only interested in taking our money. The lobsters were just o.k. When we asked for claw crackers, we were told they didn't have any clean ones. What? It's a damn lobster pound! What do they expect you to use to crack the claws... your teeth? C'mon, get real. The steamers were over cooked. Atmosphere was like you entered a town of depressed people that were on work release being forced to help you. There are so many good places in Maine for Lobsters that this place better count its days unless they change their ways.

1  Thank Bruce D
Stu S, Owner at Beal's Lobster Pier, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Hi Bruce-
First, thank you for the note. We take all of the feedback from our customers very seriously and use that feedback in our training going forward. The restaurant cracks lobsters at the claws, the knuckles and tail for customer convenience and supply an instructions card to in form our guests of the best way to pick the meat out. We of course have lobster crackers on hand, and we do wash them after every use so it is entirely possible on a busy night that we were temporarily out of them while they were being washed and sanitized. Our staff of locals and college students are trained constantly in the ways of proper customer services and we apologize if you feel you didn't receive appropriate service. If we were made aware of your disappointment during the time you were here, we absolutely would have done all we could to make it right. Again. thank you for the note and have a happy 4th of July.

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

The island is dotted with road side lobster shacks but Beal’s sits right on a pier staffed with people who love their trade. The setting is sincere, relaxed, and with their indoor/outdoor seating you are situated so close to the water that you can confidently envision that your lobster was caught that very morning. The owners pay homage to the lobster with their informative, albeit humorous, signs displayed throughout restaurant so you get to know your meal even more. The system is direct and efficient: you get in line, inspect the menu above the counter, place your order and pay, and the numbered sign is your ticket to having your meal delivered straight to your table. There is plenty to eat that is not lobster (chicken tenders, fish tacos, etc.) or, god forbid you have shellfish allergies, they accommodate you brilliantly like you are one of their own. They don’t mess around and you get a genuine feeling that they want you to enjoy yourself down to the circa 1950s music playing overhead to the cocktail varieties that quietly entice you. Oh yeah, the cornbread is killing. Make room for it or live the rest of your remaining days with regret. Go here.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

Beal's Lobster Pier was the best lobster roll we had on or trip. My wife and I each ordered a lobster roll. We ordered the mac 'n cheese bites for our toddler. All of it was very good. It was a nice location as well.