“Good gluten free!”
Review of Union

Union
Reserve with OpenTable
Union is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #82 of 623 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$6 - US$29
Description: At UNION we believe that being supplied by the best local farms allows you to enjoy ingredients at their peak of flavor. We partner with farms and producers across New England to ensure that when you dine with us you are truly getting a taste of the region's finest ingredients. Enjoy the bounty of what our oceans, streams, and local purveyors have produced as we commit to using sustainable Maine Products whenever possible.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I went with my boyfriend but I am gluten free and they had great options for me including gluten free bread for the charcuterie tray. They were very accommodating with telling me what on the menu I could and could not have. Great cocktails as well.

Good afternoon Jacyln,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at UNION! We are so pleased to hear that you were able to try some of our gluten free options, and will be sure to share your wonderful feedback with our culinary and service team. We hope to have the opportunity to have you back into UNION in the very near future! Many thanks.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Upon learning that my wife and I were celebrating our 40'th wedding anniversary,the entire staff took it upon themselves to ensure that our evening was most special,and they succeeded! .We began with drinks in the hotel's "Inkwell Bar".I enjoyed Portland's best "Manhattan" expertly prepared by our charming bartender,and my wife had a fine glass of chardonnay.The "Inkwell" is a comfortable and relaxed modern setting tucked into the far corner of the hotel's first floor.More intimate than the bar located in the restaurant.We loved it!.After being notified that our table was ready we proceeded to the Union restaurant where we were greeted by "happy anniversary" from all staff members that we encountered.Some how word had spread throughout the hotel that we were celebrating a special day,and th staff appeared genuinely happy that we had chose to spend it with them.From beginning to end our dinners exceeded all our expectations.My wife chose the cod and I chose the pot roast..Presentation was superb,portions were more than ample, and the flavors exquisite! Continuing the excellent service,our waiter was knowledgeable,friendly,and attentive.
Upon receiving the bill ,we learned that our wonderful lemon pound cake dessert and drinks had been provided complimentary !Certainly above and beyond anything we ever expected.Anyone celebrating a special occasion, will not be disappointed by choosing Union restaurant!

Good afternoon Aunnie,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience here at UNION, and for thinking of us to celebrate your special occasion! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed craft cocktails from Inkwell, and tried some of signature dishes for dinner in UNION. We will be sure to share your kind feedback with our culinary and service team, and look forward to having you back in very soon. Many thanks, and take care.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were looking for a Portland restaurant that would be a treat for our 15 year old grandson's birthday and chose Union. It is not an extensive menu, but each item is interesting. The setting is very clean looking and modern. Most impressive is that the kitchen is totally on view, so we could get to watch the chef and assistants prepare our meal. In fact, it when I saw them carve the boneless pork chops in front of me, that we decided to order that. It was a special for the evening, and it was very special. Our grandson also ordered the Maple dessert, which was also very complex, and wonderful. It was fairly expensive for what it was, but we were very happy with what we ordered, and how the food was prepared.

Good afternoon Irwin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at UNION, and for joining us here for dinner. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our open kitchen, and will be sure to share your wonderful feedback with our culinary and service team. We hope to have the opportunity to have you back into UNION in the very near future! Many thanks.

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Love this place. Very refined and elegantly casual. The avocado toast was fabulous, but I wanted so many other items on the menu. Staff is super, just like the Press Hotel where it is located. Clean, fresh, and beautiful inside.

Union_Manager, Manager at Union, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at UNION, and for joining us here for breakfast. We will be sure to share your wonderful feedback with our culinary and service team, and hope to have the opportunity to have you back in for lunch and dinner in the very near future! Many thanks.

Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

On my recent visit to Portland, I chose this restaurant based on reviews on Open Table when looking for a place to dine. It also was located in our hotel, the Press Hotel. The restaurant itself has a contemporary feel. There's a dining area and a bar area. I was underwhelmed by the service received at this restaurant. The young gentleman serving us seem like we were a bother. As a waitress in my younger years, I notice good service and I expect a server to approach the table and introduce himself. That did not happen. I was very surprised as we received nothing but special and courteous treatment from the staff members of the hotel. My husband and I started with a couple cocktails from the bar and ordered two of the appetizers. The seared goat cheese and the roasted carrots, both were delicious. I was, however, disappointed that the carrots only had six colorful petite carrots on the plate. I ordered the scallops for my dinner and my husband had the special fish of the night. He enjoyed his entrée. I loved the fennel that was served with my three scallops. They were perfectly grilled and tender. Again, the food was good but the service was lacking. I had no refill on my water until after I was finished with my meal. I expect more from a restaurant that charges these prices. I expect to be waited on by a friendly and attentive staff member who introduces themselves, which did not happen. For my last night in Portland, I wanted this to be a special meal and that is why I chose Union. The dinner we had at David’s restaurant in Portland was so much better as we were treated wonderfully and waited on attentively. I think Union could learn a thing or two from David’s management on how to train service staff. It really does make a difference for the all-around experience while dining.

Union_Manager, Manager at Union, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us at UNION. We greatly appreciate the feedback and deeply apologize that your dinner experience was not up to our standards. My hope is that you may be able to join us on another occasion. I do recognize that there are many dining options in Portland and I wish you can accept an invitation to try us again. Our apologies that your dinner did not meet our par, but please feel free to reach out directly at: cmetsch@thepresshotel.com

Courtney